DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Deep thoughts with Pc747: My early thoughts on the nexus 5

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I am considering the Nexus 5 mostly on price and curiosity. I bought one from the play store with 3-4 weeks estimate, now it shows 2-3 weeks. I will keep an eye on Best Buy or Amazon to see if I can get one earlier (get charged tax at the Plays Store and Amazon).

I am on Verizon right now (unlimited data family plan), but am going to try the $30 T-mobile plan. I have an HTC Rezound which has seen better days (not eligible to upgrade until late June, or else I would consider the 6 GB plan being offered). I commute by 2 hours by train (each way) with no wifi. My charging port broke, and I have to swap batteries around 4 times a day. I also have two Anker external batteries, which I can use to charge the external charger. Although it is a bit much to carry around. According to Open Signal, my work is in an area of NYC which has no reception (the sliver around Turtle Bay).

I have been keeping an eye on Swappa, mostly for the Razr M, although not having a removable battery, I am not sure how the battery life is for the age of the device. Otherwise new, the Razr Mini and Maxx have caught my attention with the recent price drop.

I went into the Verizon store to see what is currently available. For personal size preferance/in hand feel I would order the devices: Moto X, LG G2, HTC One, Droid Mini/Droid Maxx, Note 2, S4...

I went for the 16 GB since it would end up being around $395 for the phone. If I went for the 32 GB, it would be close to $500...that would make it a tougher choice in terms of compromises (supposed battery/camera), compared to the Maxx (battery) and Moto X (i like the idea of Active Display, although I would probably go 16 GB for this one also.)

I already have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case and the T-mobile SIM. I figure if coverage is not what I hope, then I can sell the device for a small loss on Swappa, and then buy one of the above phones for Verizon.

I am currently testing Sprint 3G/4G Mifi with FreedomPop (although it does not pick up LTE), and the coverage leaves much to be desired. My Rezound drops signals in a couple spots, but the Mifi is useless in many more. It serves as a good backup though (for a few dollars a month).
  2. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    I might have been excited about the N5 if

A: It was coming to VZW

B: They kept the same form factor as the G2. Rear button placement, screen size and battery size.

Though I would prolly miss some of the features that make the G2 unique.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1679 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    on 2nd thought Best Buy lists the Sprint Nexus 5 for $799.99 outright <--- no I know best buy like to throw in their $100 cut but this is .... well yall know what it is

Dezy you made a very good point in your post to the point the pendulum swung back the other way.
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1679 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    I was getting ready too say,I know the N5 is not competing with the Note 3 in price.

Sent from my Note 3 rockin Jelly Bean 4.3
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesars View Post
    2 be fair, not much Competition compared to the note 3!

Note 3 <Caesars>

I don't argue the greatness of the Note 3 but it is a completely different class of phone. Phablet vs phone. I personally do not care for the size of the Note and it is not an option for me. If you compare the Nexus to the S4 then it is a fair comparison and same class of phone. Just my opinion.
    Jonny Kansas likes this.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid -> Galaxy Nexus
    Question. be long before we have 4.4 for the G2 (straight from the mouths of the developers in charge of the G2). I share the same sentiments about gettingtthe latest flagship phone and then flashing my own Android experience (or purchasing a GPS if available). No SD card? I've never used up my 32GBs of storage on my GNex or G2. Why? I keep all my apps and music I listen to all the time on the phone. The rest.. The really really large stuff like movies? Well, we have OTG USB Flash drives for that. People seem to use that as an argument to justify their choice or purchase. We have a tendency to want OUR stuff to be the BEST and will argue night and day even if we are wrong. I do t care if updates come from LG for the G2 as quickly. It's already been said that they (CyanogenMod) are already working on 11 and that once 10.1 (or whatever versus is the latest.. I'm on the latest Monthly Snapshot.. I never cared for CyanogenMod in the past but this has made a perfect phone even better still
    The N5 is a solid phone what shows off Kit Kat. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. Sorry. The BEST CPU out now by the way isn't the SD800, it's the for in the 5s...and I have admitting that because I disdain Apple. The G2 is one of the few devices thst actually can compete with the A7 and it's clocked almost twice as fast. Sorry, my early Sunday rant. And I forgot another HUGE pro for the N5. You get a slightly tuned down version of the G2 for a price thst cannot be beaten.

Question for anyone who's compared the display on each device (N5 and G2). Does the N5 share the outstanding display the G2 has? I'd imagine so and if so it's an awesome phone for the price. Concerning lack of sdcards on devices again, the people who need more than 32GBs can look outside the box and try a OTG USB. They work quite well. It's not as pretty as having your storhpneage device hidden inside the phone but for files such as movies or large files you are working on and don't need on your device 24/7 they can't be beat. I'm a developer and work with LOTS of files. My G2 IS my main home PC except when I need to build something using my Linux box. I also have more cloud storage space then I'll ever use in my lifetime (spread across companies) but that's not an option for everyoneso iI understand. Data caps (thankfully I don't have one and havean aawesome promo plan I've had for years.. Thanks to DF who gave us the info on it (The staff here rocks). Enough of renting and my disassociated thoughts and ramblings ffor the morning. Back to gaming. (^o^)
    pc747 likes this.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    One of the main things everyone has been complaining about with the Nexus 5 (and the Moto X for that matter) is the lack of 'top of the line' hardware specs. Not the best processor. Not the most RAM. Not the biggest battery. Quite frankly, I believe that Motorola (with the X) and [hopefully] Google (with the Nex5) have shown that you do not NEED a 12 core processor and 6 gigs of RAM to run Android effectively. I think the complaining about hardware is a moot point (with the exception of a camera, because software can only do so much to help). Maybe everyone is looking at the Nex5 in the wrong way as a 'forward thinking' device. Maybe we should be looking at the software optimizations as the 'forward thinking' aspect of the phone. This, I understand, is really a promotion of the new OS rather than the phone. However, Google is giving us a reasonably priced top of the line (yes, I really think it is) device with which to experience the new OS.

While, generally speaking, I agree with the negative sentiment toward non-removable batteries, I feel like a non-removable battery is acceptable if the phone's battery is capable of lasting through a full day of use. As far as non-expandable storage, I'm okay with 32gb. Anything less is worthless. Anything more would be a bonus. I'd probably use it if I had it, but I am happy with 32gb.

*NOTE*
    Thinking about it, 'top of the line' should be replaced with 'best' because the phone really is on par with other flagship phones. It just does not have the 'best' hardware that everyone seems to expect in a Nexus device.
    Last edited by g_what; 11-03-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added *NOTE*
    pc747 likes this.
    Current Phone:

[ParanoidAndroid]
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Previous Phones:
    Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE) [ParanoidAndroid]
    Droid 1 [MIUI.us]
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g_what View Post
    One of the main things everyone has been complaining about with the Nexus 5 (and the Moto X for that matter) is the lack of 'top of the line' hardware specs. Not the best processor. Not the most RAM. Not the biggest battery. Quite frankly, I believe that Motorola (with the X) and [hopefully] Google (with the Nex5) have shown that you do not NEED a 12 core processor and 6 gigs of RAM to run Android effectively. I think the complaining about hardware is a moot point (with the exception of a camera, because software can only do so much to help). Maybe everyone is looking at the Nex5 in the wrong way as a 'forward thinking' device. Maybe we should be looking at the software optimizations as the 'forward thinking' aspect of the phone. This, I understand, is really a promotion of the new OS rather than the phone. However, Google is giving us a reasonably priced top of the line (yes, I really think it is) device with which to experience the new OS.

While, generally speaking, I agree with the negative sentiment toward non-removable batteries, I feel like a non-removable battery is acceptable if the phone's battery is capable of lasting through a full day of use. As far as non-expandable storage, I'm okay with 32gb. Anything less is worthless. Anything more would be a bonus. I'd probably use it if I had it, but I am happy with 32gb.

I think the argument with the Moto X is the price point. I tried it out for a few weeks and it was a nice device. Just not $600 off contract worth of nice. If it was faster and had a bigger and better display it might have been worth it. But comping it to the G2, which is $50 cheaper off contract, it is night and day. And I haven't really seen the argument of the N5 not having top of the line specs. It has the same guts as the G2 which is described as "a beast" and the best phone currently on the market. I don't really know what people are wanting these days. The G2 is just flat out fast and smooth no matter what you are doing with it.

Speaking for myself removable batteries and storage don't really matter. Phones like the G2 and the Droid Maxx easily get you through a full day without being tethered to a charger. And I do not store music or movies on any of my phones. I know there are many that do though so I can see their argument.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I would have the Nexus 5 instead of my Note 3 if the Nexus 5 were available on Verizon. I only bought the N3 because Verizon is my only option for reliable coverage in my area. I have yet to put a micro SD in my N3 or remove the battery. Everyone is claiming that the Nexus 5 doesn't have top of the line specs, but it has the same processor as my N3. The N3 does have more ram, but I think it needs more to handle all of the extra stuff touchwiz adds, especially multiwindow. I didn't want to sign a new contract with Verizon or give up unlimited, but i did both. At least i got the 6GB max plan. It will realistically be 2 years before any carrier besides AT&T gets decent coverage in my area. I won't leave Verizon for another carrier that doesn't offer unlimited data. I would have considered trying T-Mobile if the Nexus line of devices was capable of using T-Mo's WiFi calling. I know that you can use google voice and port this and do that and make and receive calls via WiFi, but I would want to call and text just like normal with the native dialer and sms app using my carrier assigned phone number. I love my N3 but thought I would get more use out of the Touchwiz features. If it were available I would flash a Paranoid Android rom right now and never miss Touchwiz. With all that said I do not regret buying my N3, it is a superb device with and amazing screen and battery life. It does what I ask it to do and does it well. I will miss the unlocked bootloader of my galaxy nexus.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links