DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Customizing at a whole new level

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Customizing at a whole new level

A few months back a concept came out called Phonebloks, which would allow the user to upgrade parts of the hardware vs replacing the entire phone. So if you buy a phone and the next year model is the same with a new camera, or in the case of the razr and razr maxx a larger battery, you can just purchase the hardware and add it to your additional phones vs buying a new phone. Nice idea but the over all feel was no manufacturer would give up the cash cow they have now where people are having to buy a new phone every year to keep up with the latest and greatest. Well there is a manufacturer willing to do that; Motorola is looking to do that with project Ara. On Motorola's blog they discuss the concept in looking to bring that to life. This could truly be the innovation the smart phone market needs. I will definitely be keeping my eye on this.

The Official Motorola Blog: Goodbye Sticky. Hello Ara.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    yes please, make our smartphones, and HOPEFULLY laptops/tablets more like my PC. I wholly support this idea as long as they don't charge 150+ for a camera upgrade... ya know, be reasonable
    pc747 and matukqo like this.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    XT1080
    Get it Google!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    "A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    yes please, make our smartphones, and HOPEFULLY laptops/tablets more like my PC. I wholly support this idea as long as they don't charge 150+ for a camera upgrade... ya know, be reasonable
    Exactly, don't defeat the purpose. If it is going to cost me 300 bucks to upgrade I might as well sell it on ebay and buy the newest model. From the blog the idea is to make it competitive but it will be more of an open market. So basically you can make a part to specifications that will compete with the market. If this can kick off right man we are talking about an entirely new world. I mean being able to choose my sound system (Bose, Beats, Moster), camera, screen yeah the thought sends my mind into hyper drive because android brought an entirely new world of "out of nowhere" garage developers this could do the same for engineering.
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Who are you guys kidding?? There is greed flowing through the industry. Modules will never be cheap. It will most likely cost an arm and leg to upgrade the phone.

Guarantee Verizon will have a problem with it and try to mess it up somehow.

6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raverrevolution View Post
    Who are you guys kidding?? There is greed flowing through the industry. Modules will never be cheap. It will most likely cost an arm and leg to upgrade the phone.

Guarantee Verizon will have a problem with it and try to mess it up somehow.

Initially maybe but the concept will open an entirely new market. Will the blocks made by name brands like bose or beats me more expensive than one made by Joe blow, yeah but if enough Joes and Toms can offer the quality that is close to the big names they will bring the market cost of bose down or give the consumer a cheaper alternative.
  7. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1046 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    At least a major manufacturer is entertaining the idea. However, I would not be the owner of the first generation, it's going to get expensive and quickly I think. I don't know if it'll last either because that's too many options for the general public. I mean it's a great idea, but unless you work in the tech industry or similar field, you won't hear people talking about changing components on their phone. Some wish they had a better camera or radios, but to "build" a phone from the ground up, that seems like too much for the general consumer.

I could definitely be wrong though. Just from experience, only a small percentage want full customization of their phone.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    This is the future.
    This will be my next phone.

I remember when I was using my Droid 1 years back, and the Droid 2 came out. I wished I could just swap out the parts I needed for a memory and cpu upgrade. 600 Mhz, 256 MB Ram just didn't do it for me anymore. I hope this idea skyrockets.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    I love idea. As more manufactures get on board with it, it will get cheaper and better. However, I see problems where Moto parts will only work with Moto phones. Samsung parts with Samsung phones. I doubt there will be interchangeability between brands. Shoot, Samsung is looking to requiring OEM accessories. This will be no different.
    matukqo likes this.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    I love idea. As more manufactures get on board with it, it will get cheaper and better. However, I see problems where Moto parts will only work with Moto phones. Samsung parts with Samsung phones. I doubt there will be interchangeability between brands. Shoot, Samsung is looking to requiring OEM accessories. This will be no different.
    I have no problem with this method. I wouldn't want the parts to be interchangeable with various other manufacturers. I want my hardware pieces to work with my previous setup. However, I do see an issue where
    1. drivers would need to be updated somehow to work with the new hardware.
    2. one must have prerequisite hardware preinstalled to utilize the new module.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links