DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Customizing at a whole new level

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    This would be awesome! This way carriers could have exclusive components that would delay availability to users on rival carriers. Also carriers could sell phones and replace certain components with their own super special licensed "required" components and charge extra! I can't wait! I can hear it now...

The process is thorough, so please be patient. We must test each component* to ensure that the experience on our network is up to our standards**. As you know, our network is America's Top Quality Network®™, and to keep it that way some components are required to carry our exclusive approval. We'll make it available as soon as we have tested and certified it as a Premium Verizon Gradecomponent.

Seriously... Dream on as long as carriers can stick their nose in the process like they already do. Until they're FORCED into being the "big dumb pipes" that they are, this idea is dead and stinkin'.
    Last edited by Dusty; 10-29-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    akhenax, pc747 and liftedplane like this.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Not only is this going to make app development a nightmare, but for everyone who has ever complained about updated firmware taking forever to release from carriers...kiss firmware updates goodbye completely. Whatever firmware version your phone ships with is what it will die with, unless you root your phone or have a nexus device. But even then, the custom mod community would be heavily affected by this, severely harming this open Android ecosystem we all love. I like the concept of this phone design, but the implications may be more harmful than most realize.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA!
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    In addition to all the issues mentioned above, upgrades to the device will require:

a) shipping your device to Moto for install
    b) literal plug-and-play components that make it impossible to screw up an upgrade
    Or c) sacrificing your warranty to tinker

Either way, I don't see it being economically feasible for most considering the price of subsidized phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    HOKIE
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by Briankbl View Post
    Not only is this going to make app development a nightmare, but for everyone who has ever complained about updated firmware taking forever to release from carriers...kiss firmware updates goodbye completely. Whatever firmware version your phone ships with is what it will die with, unless you root your phone or have a nexus device. But even then, the custom mod community would be heavily affected by this, severely harming this open Android ecosystem we all love. I like the concept of this phone design, but the implications may be more harmful than most realize.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA!
    Because the PC market doesn't have firmware updates right?

I guess I completely forgot how much the PC market lacks open source. My bad

Seriously it would do anything but harm the open ecosystem, it would require a rework of how things work but it is entirely possible for the mobile market to emulate the PC market and offer more options. It just takes one company to start a change like that and hope it catches on.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post

Because the PC market doesn't have firmware updates right?

I guess I completely forgot how much the PC market lacks open source. My bad

Seriously it would do anything but harm the open ecosystem, it would require a rework of how things work but it is entirely possible for the mobile market to emulate the PC market and offer more options. It just takes one company to start a change like that and hope it catches on.
    Exactly. At the very least, it will allow me to choose how to build my phone every few years. Do I want the 20mp camera or the 13mp one with the smaller f-stop? Do I want 2 battery modules with a combined capacity of 3,500 mah or do I want to swap one out and have 128 mb of storage space or maybe 4 gig of ram? Do I want the 5" screen with 300 or 400 ppi? This takes the moto x to the next level!
    AC Shade

Yes my avatar is a chicken....WITH A CAMERA ON ITS HEAD!!!!
    Typed from some sort of computing device, but probably from my LG G2 which is fun to say over and over and over again...
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    The logistical side of this will be a tough row to hoe. That aside, this would develop an entirely new support landscape. I upgrade all my PCs several times before I go out and entirely replace them. Why should my phone or tablet be any different? HW developers are responsible for drivers. As long as the drivers are compatible with a given OS, the rest will be history.
    Someone has to take a chance, why not now? Folks lamented the demise of the candle industry when the light bulb was invented; this is no different...
    liftedplane likes this.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links