For several weeks we have seen a plethora of leaks and intel regarding the upcoming NVIDIA Tegra Note. This is NVIDIA's Tegra 4 based reference design tablet which is designed to offer OEMs the total turn-key package for building a powerful, yet inexpensive Android tablet. In fact, the entire Tegra Note platform is designed to facilitate the manufacture of competitive tablets at the low-end price of just $200 USD.
With this product, NVIDIA aims to jump back in the Android mobile market in a big way and garner some much needed attention for their Tegra 4 chipset. This concept could very well do exactly that. OEMs no longer have to spend extra resources and money designing their own fully fleshed out Android tablet platform. With the Tegra Note platform, the entire core and skeleton of the product is already compiled. The OEM just needs to build it, slap a case with their logo on it, and start selling it in retail.
NVIDIA has been working hard to get this brilliant concept into the hands of OEMs around the world. Here's a quote with the details,
Here's a breakdown of specs and features from the Tegra Note platform:In the next few months, our partners will be bringing Tegra Note to market worldwide with features that speak to local consumers, among them are EVGA and PNY Technologies in North America; EVGA, Oysters and ZOTAC in Europe; Colorful, GIGABYTE, Shenzhen Homecare Technology and ZOTAC in Asia-Pacific; and XOLO in India. They join other partners, including HP, ASUS, Toshiba, Kobo and Xiaomi, that have already announced Tegra 4-based products.
- Tegra 4 Cortex-A15 with 72-core GeForce GPU with a fifth battery-saver core - NVIDIA claims this makes the Tegra Note the world's fastest 7-inch tablet
- 7-inch 1280 x 800 display
- 5 megapixel rear camera w/ VGA front camera
- 16GB of storage with a microSD card slot
- Front-facing “HD audio” stereo speakers
- A Stylus with tips for chiseling and brushing
- Full stock Android (latest version)
- Over-the-air software updates from NVIDIA
- 10 hours of battery
- "Groundbreaking camera – The camera uses Tegra 4’s processing power and Chimera computational photography architecture to deliver stunning new features. Tegra Note also brings SmugMug’s Camera Awesome app – one of the top camera apps on iOS – to Android. Camera Awesome delivers exclusive Tegra 4 features like tap-to-track and 100 fps video with slow-motion playback."
- "TegraZone gaming – Delivering unmatched gaming, NVIDIA TegraZone provides easy access to Tegra-optimized games with visual effects that aren’t available on other tablets. Tegra Note also supports a variety of game controllers for console-class gaming."
What do you guys think? Qualcomm has been stealing all the thunder from NVIDIA over the past year and a half. Could NVIDIA be poised for a big comeback in the Android tablet world?