DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead

1. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
    Who cares what the name is, I'm looking for a refresh of the Android operating system and we keep getting .X "updates". The bad taste in my mouth isn't coming from the pie...revolution is the taste I'm after.

"Android 5.0, coming spring of 2017! Maybe..."
    EVOlution will bring about a revolution which in turn will bring the resolution
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    EVOlution will bring about a revolution which in turn will bring the resolution
    I understand the cycle, but why the minor increments now when they've finally started to win over the world? Major updates shouldn't just been seen as evolutionary, it should be seen as a defense mechanism against the competition. Keep it new, keep it fresh. If they're not going about bringing major change, then someone else will no matter how dominant their market-share (e.g. Android VS iOS)

If I were Apple or anyone else, right now I'd be smelling opportunity to gain a great foothold. We've been on 4.0+ since October 2011.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    ONJFANGA
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXX
    I seriously had to look at the calendar to make sure that it wasn't April 1 and this wasn't an April Fool's Day joke.

Hopefully, when you boot up the phone, it won't make that KitKat snap sound.
    - StormyHeather

Member #
    Liked
    1686 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Google just want us to give them a break.

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    Google just want us to give them a break.
    Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead-what-you-did-there-i-see-.jpg
    Narsil likes this.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    So not enough people know what key lime pie tastes like, but everyone in the world knows what eclairs, honeycomb, and froyo taste like? I had to Google "froyo" because I didn't know wtf is was. Once I figured out, yes I'd had it, but I never heard the abbreviation. I've maybe had like 2 eclairs in my life. And the closest thing to honeycomb I've ever had comes in cereal form. This is kind of ridiculous. I'm not really irritated about the fact that the name changed (although it looks like amateur hour over at Google HQ). I'm irritated that they used a brand name. It deviates from the already well established naming convention and clearly was done to turn a profit. If they're going to keep this up, Android 7.0 better be called Reese's PB cup!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    Narsil, pc747, PereDroid and 1 others like this.
    HOKIE
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Twitter
    Rayzer53
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
    I understand the cycle, but why the minor increments now when they've finally started to win over the world? Major updates shouldn't just been seen as evolutionary, it should be seen as a defense mechanism against the competition. Keep it new, keep it fresh. If they're not going about bringing major change, then someone else will no matter how dominant their market-share (e.g. Android VS iOS)

If I were Apple or anyone else, right now I'd be smelling opportunity to gain a great foothold. We've been on 4.0+ since October 2011.
    This is a good read about the "minor increments". Now, how to get OEMs and carriers to step it up?

Balky carriers and slow OEMs step aside: Google is defragging Android | Ars Technica
    pc747 likes this.

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    150 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8Aro View Post
    This is a good read about the "minor increments". Now, how to get OEMs and carriers to step it up?

Balky carriers and slow OEMs step aside: Google is defragging Android | Ars Technica
    That is a good article and I've posted before on the brilliance of the idea, but the general feel of such a strategy is, well, stifling. They can do that all they like but staying on the same core system for 3+ years...not exactly going to make it on the highlight reel. They need new frameworks, new security, project butter 2.0...

he only way OEM's will speed up is to create competition, if LG for instance made it their priority to be the first to update all their devices, wouldn't you look their direction? Motorola? Samsung too? I would.

Problem is even if they do become competitive they still have to get through the carriers, which is the real problem. And the only way that will be solved is if Google becomes a carrier it's self, which I'm not sure even Google can really do.
    Narsil likes this.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    246 times
    Phone
    SM-N900V
    I'll take Chocolate over Pie any day....

Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead-1175566_380788518717583_1398688446_n.jpg
    Xfactorx316 likes this.
    If you like this signature click on it, copy the [IMG] middle "URL" link to your signature-> in your settings... Enjoy!

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm perfectly fine with incremental updates so long as they're addressing issues that the userbase has with the operating system. ICS was such a huge deviation from the past incarnations of Android; because it needed to be streamlined and simpler to use. But since 4.0+ has dropped, I have been extremely content with the Android ecosystem as a whole, and anything I can't find in the core OS I can easily find in custom ROMs.

I guess what I don't understand is, what exactly are you clamoring for in terms of ground breaking new features?

The Aphotic Chaotic
    LG G2 VS980 (Verizon) [JB 4.3] PAC-man ROM
    Nexus 7 [JB 4.2.2] XenonHD
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links