DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New Droids To Include Double Locked Bootloaders and Encrypted Fastboot Commands

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by markwebb View Post
    Exactly..and why I switched from MOTO the past 4 years (OG Droid>>>>Bionic) to Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition. True, MOTO has a better build quality, but I am now enjoying freedom..and I keep unlimited data.
    You have freedom, yes, but it still comes at a cost. You bought your phone off contract, yet you still pay for a contract with a phone subsidy price. Verizon offers no discounted pricing for those that buy phones outside of their system. This is probably why they are trying to lock everything down. If users hate the locked phones so much they will go buy unsubsidized phones (Google Editions) and stay on Verizon's network. This seems like a gigantic win for Verizon. They continue charging you at the same rate that they would even if you got the phone on their subsidy price. Let's do some rough math. A G.E phone is roughly $600. Let's say that's what Verizon charges too when you buy through them. You pay $200 upfront, leaving $400 to get "rolled" into the bill. Well, you just bought your G.E. phone and Verizon still makes that $400 extra off of you FOR FREE, and the kicker is that it really cost you $1k for your freedom phone. I hate the whole subsidy BS. Service providers really need to do that, provide service, not provide service at a device cost. They should at least have lower rates for those not subsidizing. Europe wins.</rant>
  2. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by combatmedic870 View Post
    I didnt know you could get the Dev edition OR the Google edition of the S4 on Verizon.....
    S4 you can and I'm sure they'll offer it once the One releases on the network

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCliffGo05 View Post
    You can't.... Yet.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    The Dev Edition for VZW is direct from Samsung.
    TH3ORY ROM/[K]IN3TX 1.0
    Launcher Pro Plus

Support Your Developers!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by m3kilpat View Post
    You have freedom, yes, but it still comes at a cost. You bought your phone off contract, yet you still pay for a contract with a phone subsidy price. Verizon offers no discounted pricing for those that buy phones outside of their system. This is probably why they are trying to lock everything down. If users hate the locked phones so much they will go buy unsubsidized phones (Google Editions) and stay on Verizon's network. This seems like a gigantic win for Verizon. They continue charging you at the same rate that they would even if you got the phone on their subsidy price. Let's do some rough math. A G.E phone is roughly $600. Let's say that's what Verizon charges too when you buy through them. You pay $200 upfront, leaving $400 to get "rolled" into the bill. Well, you just bought your G.E. phone and Verizon still makes that $400 extra off of you FOR FREE, and the kicker is that it really cost you $1k for your freedom phone. I hate the whole subsidy BS. Service providers really need to do that, provide service, not provide service at a device cost. They should at least have lower rates for those not subsidizing. Europe wins.</rant>
    Your math is rather "fuzzy" to an extent. True, but it does work best for those wanting unlimited data.

The Dev Edition is directly purchased from Samsung, not VZW, therefore no subsidy.

Do a spreadsheet: compare purchase price of subsidized version of the phone vs. out right purchase price of the non-subsidized phone, including the monthly charges over 2 years. I save over 2 years $$ because I keep unlimited data. I average 4-7 GB data per month, so I would have purchased the 6 GB plan as a starter if it were subsidized.
    Last edited by markwebb; 07-12-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: clarification
    pc747 and bkdodger like this.
    TH3ORY ROM/[K]IN3TX 1.0
    Launcher Pro Plus

Support Your Developers!
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    What needs to change in the industry is the moment I am not on subsidized anymore my bill should drop. People who are keeping unlimited data have some incentives to buy out right. But the avg customer it is wrong to charge me the same price for my bill if I bought my phone out right vs some one who is subsidized. Not enough people is making an issue about it so the wireless companies are getting over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    kinfolk248 likes this.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    806 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note3(N2/Nexus)
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markwebb View Post
    Your math is rather "fuzzy" to an extent. True, but it does work best for those wanting unlimited data.

The Dev Edition is directly purchased from Samsung, not VZW, therefore no subsidy.

Do a spreadsheet: compare purchase price of subsidized version of the phone vs. out right purchase price of the non-subsidized phone, including the monthly charges over 2 years. I save over 2 years $$ because I keep unlimited data. I average 4-7 GB data per month, so I would have purchased the 6 GB plan as a starter if it were subsidized.
    I agree.. People don't realize that buying a phone outright is money saving for high data users like myself.. Paying full price is a savings over 2yrs easily..plus you can leave carrier anytime if you wish.. Win win..

Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    What needs to change in the industry is the moment I am not on subsidized anymore my bill should drop. People who are keeping unlimited data have some incentives to buy out right. But the avg customer it is wrong to charge me the same price for my bill if I bought my phone out right vs some one who is subsidized. Not enough people is making an issue about it so the wireless companies are getting over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    I wouldn't give you a lower plan bc you bought full price... You are using the service the same way as everyone else..

N2 Tap'd
    "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm"
    Forum Rules Here!!

7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdodger View Post
    I agree.. People don't realize that buying a phone outright is money saving for high data users like myself.. Paying full price is a savings over 2yrs easily..plus you can leave carrier anytime if you wish.. Win win..

I wouldn't give you a lower plan bc you bought full price... You are using the service the same way as everyone else..

N2 Tap'd
    Except part of your bill includes the subsidized amount. That is why we pay 199 or 299 the wireless company recoup the rest as it is part of your bill. So if you bought your phone for the full amount then why should you be charged as if the carrier is subsidizing your device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  8. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    Bazar6
    Phone
    GNex & Xoom & OG Droid
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    This makes me wonder if the root community is actually bigger than we think, for both the Manufacturer and the Carrier to try to shut us down... We must be doing something to upset them enough to put development time and money into locking down devices, and providing small updates for current phones which need more fixes than just a double locked bootloader (they should focus on bringing it up to the latest version of Android, not killing root exploits).

Knowing the power and possibilities after achieving root, and also the responsibility that comes with it, I will never own another device (phone or tablet) that doesn't have this ability... even if that means keeping my Galaxy Nexus until TMo's LTE network is awesome enough to make me ride out or cancel my VZW contract.
    kinfolk248 likes this.
    Moto Droid 1 : Project Elite v4.2
    HTC Thunderbolt : Sold
    Samsung Droid Charge : Stock
    Moto Xoom Wifi : CM10.1
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus : CM10.2
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Gnex
    But if you buy a phone full price out right then your '2 yr' monthly bill should be cheaper than someone who bought a subsidized contract phone is the principal of the matter... You should have to cough up money on both the front and back end...!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post

Except part of your bill includes the subsidized amount. That is why we pay 199 or 299 the wireless company recoup the rest as it is part of your bill. So if you bought your phone for the full amount then why should you be charged as if the carrier is subsidizing your device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Nothing is subsidized. All I pay is monthly data charges . I bought the phone from Samsung.
    TH3ORY ROM/[K]IN3TX 1.0
    Launcher Pro Plus

Support Your Developers!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Links