DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New Droids To Include Double Locked Bootloaders and Encrypted Fastboot Commands

1. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3 D2VZW
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
    I'm guessing that's all that Verizon cares about - paying for a bricked phone that someone tried to incorrectly root and getting screwed out of the tethering fee. If they could find a way to track those they might not lock the phones. I have no reason to root or tether, but I think that if someone does that they should adhere to the contract instead of finding ways around it. Doing anything else is grounds for a lawsuit from Verizon if it were not for the fact that the suit would cost them more than what they would get back. I'm not a fan of Verizon's pricing, but others cheating Verizon just makes them increase fees and that costs me money.
    The problem with this is that Android was created as open source which is meant to be for the end user. We are supposed to be able to change and customize our devices how we want. Not how the manufacturer and carrier want. As long as there are rules and regulations there are going to be people who try to find ways around them. If the carriers just stopped messing with the bootloader and gave us root access from the start than the issue will be taken care of. The way to rid the issue of tethering has pretty much been dealt with. The only ones that don't get it included are those still on unlimited data plans. If they were smart they would set a reasonable amount per GB of data and just bill us for what we use. They would get more from me that way as once I get close to my data cap for the month I stop using it. If they just billed me as I used it I would use when and how I wanted..... But back to the bigger issue and that is how the carriers have broken the "rules" of Google and the open source concept.

Sent via CR'd Note 2
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidModderX View Post

This week has been a week of oppression and injustice in the root community. Samsung and Motorola have both released updates which block root, and patch bootloader unlock methods. The Galaxy S4 udpate not only took away root but also made the bootloader more secure. The Motorola update patched root and the bootloader unlock exploit. If you have received the update on the RAZR HD series devices before unlocking your bootloader then you may not have root on your device any time soon.

There has also been some information that has come to the surface regarding the security of the upcoming Droid series of devices on Verizon. It would appear that Verizon has placed their proverbial foot down! They have had enough of this rooting business and would like for it to end abruptly. According to sources new motorola devices will have double locked bootloaders and encrypted fastboot commands. This could be detrimental for anyone wishing to root or mod these devices. Hopefully Kexec or Loki could be worked out for these devices, but normally developers won't adopt a device unless the device has an unlocked bootloader out of the gate.

If these phones are locked down will you still purchase one?
    Believe it or not I think it is fair as far as with Samsung S4 and here is why, they offer both a development and a g.e version. Now Some will say "I have to pay 600 for it". The phone always cost 600 the carrier buy the device and you get it at a cheaper rate if you are willing to accept the device on their terms. In other words, because they are part of the cost and offer it cheaper so that you can use it per their terms. If you do not want a device that the carrier has influence then you the customer will have to take the full liability of the device or buy it at cost.
    dezymond likes this.
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    let me make a slight adjustment to what I said above. In that the moment the user pays for the device in full they should be given the option to unlock the device if the so choose or given the software to make it a g.e device.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    let me make a slight adjustment to what I said above. In that the moment the user pays for the device in full they should be given the option to unlock the device if the so choose or given the software to make it a g.e device.
    Exactly..and why I switched from MOTO the past 4 years (OG Droid>>>>Bionic) to Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition. True, MOTO has a better build quality, but I am now enjoying freedom..and I keep unlimited data.
    pc747 and combatmedic870 like this.
    TH3ORY ROM/[K]IN3TX 1.0
    Launcher Pro Plus

Support Your Developers!
  5. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Agree with PC.

Ever since these Google Edition phones popped up, manufacturers have more incentive to lock down their stock devices. You get to use their device on their terms as was intended, and if you don't like that option, there's a Google Edition of it, well at least the s4 and One for now. I think this trend of "manufacturer experience" devices and Google Edition devices will be available on all manufacturers for their flagship devices eventually.
    pc747 and kevsgroove like this.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    everything that's locked can be unlocked. i'm not worried.
    kinfolk248 likes this.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    everything that's locked can be unlocked. i'm not worried.
    You have a point...but then they never unlocked the Bionic.
    combatmedic870 likes this.
    TH3ORY ROM/[K]IN3TX 1.0
    Launcher Pro Plus

Support Your Developers!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Gnex
    That's what I said earlier, it's just a ploy to push the 'nexus experience' phones. But it's funny how many people go for the stock but 'they' keep pushing gimmicky skins...

In the end it's all about the dollar my friends, always remember that!
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    D1>D2>Inc2>Rez>Nexus>S3>IP5
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    Agree with PC.

Ever since these Google Edition phones popped up, manufacturers have more incentive to lock down their stock devices. You get to use their device on their terms as was intended, and if you don't like that option, there's a Google Edition of it, well at least the s4 and One for now. I think this trend of "manufacturer experience" devices and Google Edition devices will be available on all manufacturers for their flagship devices eventually.
    I didnt know you could get the Dev edition OR the Google edition of the S4 on Verizon.....
    Nexus 7 2 4.3 PA
    Unlocked and ROM'ed Note 3!!!!!
  10. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    GoCliffGo
    Phone
    DE Moto X, RAZR HD Dev, N7, X2
    Premium Member
    You can't.... Yet.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

"She leans into me and I keep my arms around her. I don't fool myself that I hold her together -- She does that on her own -- But holding her keeps me from flying apart."
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links