DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Has The “Un-Carrier” Changed Me?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    If T-Mobile had better service in my area (where I live is 2G only, I would need to travel 10 miles east or west to get into a 3G area), it would be viable option.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    T-Mobile Note 3
    I'm switching next week. Even with full unlimited 4G data for each line, I'd be paying less than my grandfathered plans on Verizon. I will be selling my grandfathered VZW Unlimited data accounts to offset the costs of replacement phones while retaining my numbers. Even though it's not easily selectable on T-Mobile's site, one can have different data plans for each line. My wife is a stay at home mom and her phone can be on the WiFi most of the time so the 500MB could be enough; if not, I'll just bump her to the 2GB plan for $10/mo more. I can drastically reduce my data usage by going to WiFi as well so I'll be giving 2GB a shot, but the unlimited is an additional $10/mo.

T-Mobile is refarming their spectrum right now. They're moving HSPA+ to bands that AT&T and international phones can take advantage of. On top of that they're deploying LTE aggressively and plan to be done by the end of the year. The equipment they're installing is LTE-Advanced compatible so they only need to do a firmware upgrade to move to the new spec.

My employer is large enough to have discounts will all four carriers. I'll have to see if T-Mobile pulls the same discount crap that VZW does. Verizon's corporate discount only applies to the one line so the savings really is not a whole lot. If T-Mobile applies it to the whole account, I'll be impressed. I have other reasons for switching other than cost, but that's another story.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Yes i just switched and i am so surprised how good their service is, way better than verizon (i was with verizon for 13 years) at home the 4G speeds are twice as fast for me. i have unlimited everything (no throttle) for less than my grandfathered account with big red.

if you are with verizon i ask you to reconsider t-mobile. They have a 1 month phone for $19+tax thats for you to test their service. and come back and thank me
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid/Bionic/G2
    i want to switch but have to wait until my contract is up in Nov. tmobile is getting the three phones im interested in, S4, HTC One and the Sony Xperia Z.
    Last edited by SILVER COUPE; 06-18-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: misspelled word
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The problem isn't that TMo doesn't have great service in some areas, it's that if you travel much at all the lousy service kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile phone. I'd argue most people, on wifi at work and home, don't need more than 1gig of data.

But "unlimited" 2G is almost an oxymoron. 3G can be painstakingly slow, I can't imagine dealing with 2G speeds.
    combatmedic870 likes this.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid/Bionic/G2
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    The problem isn't that TMo doesn't have great service in some areas, it's that if you travel much at all the lousy service kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile phone. I'd argue most people, on wifi at work and home, don't need more than 1gig of data.

But "unlimited" 2G is almost an oxymoron. 3G can be painstakingly slow, I can't imagine dealing with 2G speeds.
    i heard if you stay on the main roads such as I-95 your covered, don't know if that's true or not.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post

3G on Verizon is painstakingly slow, it is not the case on T-Mobile since they are using HSPA+ as compared to CDMA.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    I was a Verizon customer for 8 years and I jumped to T-Mobile. What a mistake! The un-carrier thing is a scam. U pay full price for your phone over 2 years and if u want to leave or get a new device u have to pay off phone first. How is this different from a contract? Customer service is also terrible and they have a habit of overcharging so check ur bills! Anyway this is my opinion and I am happily back with Verizon. Verizon coverage is by far the best there is and u get what u pay for!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Nexus 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    It's different because if you stay with them, your monthly cost can be dramatically less if you pay the phone off, and you're free of the "contract" at that point as well. Plus, their "up front" costs are a little cheaper than other carriers. For example, the S4 is $630 on Tmobile full, $650 on Verizon or others. The iPhone 5 was $580, then they bumped it to $630 - while, again, $650 on other carriers.

Though I do agree with you on customer service... a majority of the time it was fine, but when we had problems, customer service was subpar at best.

There were also other quirks. Twice, my wife received a voicemail, but wasn't notified about it until almost 24 hours after the fact (iPhone 5) - that's a major problem, and both times I called about it, customer service blew me off and dismissed it as "normal" and "something that just happens occasionally". And numerous times we would be texting each other, and nothing would go through - then an hour or two later (one time longer), they all went through at once.

In our area, HSPA+42 is as fast as Verizon's LTE a lot of the time, and HD Voice is just plain awesome. But as soon as we left our area, the service was horrible. We simply drove from DFW to east Texas. While I expected to lose data occasionally, or drop to "E" often, I didn't expect to have no service at all...voice or data - and that happened a lot, despite what the coverage map showed.

The savings were significant - we saved roughly $50-60/month on a plan that allowed us to utilize what we use on Verizon. The network was fine for us a majority of the time because we don't travel much. But the "intangibles" (like customer service, and the things I mentioned above), plus the service being even worse than I expected outside of area, pushed me back to Verizon.

Edit: Oh and for what it's worth, at least in our area, once you hit your data limit, the 2g speeds (which are a step below Edge) were unusable. Again, maybe that's just our area, but we're talking 10-20k/s speeds on the high end.
    Last edited by jntdroid; 06-18-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    If my job didn't pay for my phone, I would switch. VZW 4G coverage is horrendous at my house, and I live in Cleveland proper. Not a suburb. We were one of the first markets to get 4G and it is so very spotty.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links