DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Verizon Refuses to Change Stance on Google Wallet; Claims 'Not Blocking it' to FCC

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2048 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Verizon Refuses to Change Stance on Google Wallet; Claims 'Not Blocking it' to FCC

Nearly two years have passed and nothing has been resolved regarding the potentially illegal blocking of Google Wallet by Verizon for phones on their network. In December of 2011, we shared that Verizon forced Google not to include Google Wallet on the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. At the time, Verizon claimed the reason was because Google Wallet presented a security issue that Verizon wasn't comfortable with. Industry speculation suggested the real reason because Verizon didn't want Google Wallet competing for consumers' attention on their phones because they were launching their own mobile payment system called ISIS.

Things didn't progress very quickly beyond that. In December of 2012 (a full year later), we wrote a follow-up article in which more details were laid out. Verizon responded to the complaints by claiming Google Wallet was a security risk because it needed direct access to the secure element of the device. This was pointed out by several folks in the industry as blatant hypocrisy because Verizon's own ISIS payment app also requires the same access to the secure element of the device.

Several C Block violation complaints with the FCC have been filed accusing Verizon of blocking Google Wallet, yet five months later almost nothing has been resolved. Now Verizon is simply sticking to its guns and refuses to change their stance on the issue. In fact, they recently sent a response to the FCC claiming ”Verizon Wireless does not block applications.” What is really sneaky about this is that it is "technically" true. Verizon didn't block the application from being on their device. Instead they insisted that Google block the application. Ultimately, it obviously boils down to the same thing, and should be investigated by the FCC, but for some reason they are dragging their feet on this issue.

Ironically, neither Google Wallet nor ISIS have really "taken off" as a heavily used alternative payment method. Perhaps NFC device payments, as a concept, is still a bit ahead of its time. Additionally, there are workarounds which can get Google Wallet side-loaded onto VZW phones. Still, for the few users whom this affects, it is an issue that needs to be addressed. Also, eventually, mobile payments will start to become the norm, and this issue will need to be resolved anyway. Share your thoughts.

Source: Phandroid
    grenefroggie likes this.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 & Droid DNA
    Premium Member
    I have been trying to get Google Wallet to work. Specifically, I side loaded the APK, launched it, and got an error stating it wasn't supported by the carrier. It is true that the app is IDing Verizons NID and blocking access. I will post a screenshot shortly. I've been meaning to get back into this project. Alternatively, VZW has an app called ISIS which is similar to Google Wallet. The application requires that the device be un-rooted, and that you also have a special SIM called an NFC-SIM. Currently the NFC SIMs are only available in the Houston, TX, and Salt Lake City, UT markets as part of a closed trial.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Last edited by dgstorm; 04-30-2013 at 11:17 AM.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Interesting Mandy.. I'm near Houston.. I'll have to see if I can get in on that... Thanx for the info...
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    No problem, call customer service and ask for an "NFC Sim" for use with ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    Interesting Mandy.. I'm near Houston.. I'll have to see if I can get in on that... Thanx for the info...
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    370 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Wowzers at that Screenshot! Sorry.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD

It seems to me most people don't get NFC in general

I think the part of the problem is many people think of mobile payment when they think NFC. Yes, that's one use of NFC but only one and there are other uses for NFC that work now no matter who your carrier is! With the NFC on my Maxx HD on Verizon I have transferred photos and videos to a GS3 using NFC (they need to turn off the proprietary S-send or whatever and make sure Google Beam is on). I've even transferred URL's and contacts using NFC to a Lumia 920 with WinPhone 8 on AT&T.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    I mean, I figure it's a given that Verizon blocking Google Wallet is a problem. I'm just saying use NFC people! Don't forget it's there and does things other than payment *and* can work across carriers, OS's, and hardware OEM's!!!
  10. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2048 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MandyMakesApps View Post
    Wowzers at that Screenshot! Sorry.
    I shrank your screenshot post.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Twitter
    josefius
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Is it possible to get Google Wallet to function on a rooted phone running CM10? I've tried before but it errors saying something about me having a compromised phone.
    --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links