DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Breaking: Google Removes Ad Blocking Apps from Google Play Store; Rooted Users Frown

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Breaking: Google Removes Ad Blocking Apps from Google Play Store; Rooted Users Frown

If you are a rooted user, you might just grimace at this news. Apparently, Google just pulled all of the ad blocking apps from the Google Play Store. Apparently, ad blocker programs directly contradict one of Google's policies, but they hadn't really enforced it until now. Here's a quote with the TOS rule followed by Google's email to developers of ad blocking programs,

4.4 Prohibited Actions. You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Market, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market.
    Most of the ad blocking programs have been purged from the Play Store, and the developers were sent emails from Google explaining why. Here's the email statement from Google,

This is a notification that your application, Ad Blocker ★ Root ★, with package ID com.jrummy.apps.ad.blocker, has been removed from the Google Play Store.

REASON FOR REMOVAL: Violation of section 4.4 of the Developer Distribution Agreement.

After a regular review we have determined that your app interferes with or accesses another service or product in an unauthorized manner. This violates the provision of your agreement with Google referred to above.

All violations are tracked. Serious or repeated violations of any nature will result in the termination of your developer account, and investigation and possible termination of related Google accounts. If your account is terminated, payments will cease and Google may recover the proceeds of any past sales and/or the cost of any associated fees (such as chargebacks and transaction fees) from you.

If your developer account is still in good standing, you may revise and upload a new instance of the application that is compliant with the developer terms. Before uploading any new applications, please review the Developer Distribution Agreement and Content Policy.
    If you feel we have made this determination in error, you can visit this Google Play Help Center article for additional information regarding this removal.

The Google Play Team
    This just happened a short time ago, so we will try to share more details as they emerge.

Thanks for the tip, Mujibar!
    Versatile1 likes this.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    I'll be the minority here, but...so what. We all love Google, we all love their free services and guess what, that's how they make money. I'd rather have the occasional annoyance than pay stacks of cash up front.

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
    I'll be the minority here, but...so what. We all love Google, we all love their free services and guess what, that's how they make money. I'd rather have the occasional annoyance than pay stacks of cash up front.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

I wonder if Android firewall apps (D.W. for example) falls into the same category as Ad blockers.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > G A L A X Y N E X U S > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    HTC One - Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post

Agree. The ads don't bother me and I don't even look at them. If it makes an app that I like free then fine. With some apps, I have the option of paying for it to remove the ads and never have. I'll pay to upgrade free apps if I gain function that I will use, but not just to remove ads.
  6. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    We tend to agree with all of the above points, but we still thought it was important to share. We can definitely see why some folks prefer ad blockers, but if the ads aren't too annoying and it keeps Google & Android profitable, then it makes good sense for Google to finally take this step. We definitely feel for any developer who works on this type of software, but it's likely a pain that is unavoidable.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    no big deal. those that are rooted will find ad blocker apps from other sources.
    Narsil likes this.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    We tend to agree with all of the above points, but we still thought it was important to share. We can definitely see why some folks prefer ad blockers, but if the ads aren't too annoying and it keeps Google & Android profitable, then it makes good sense for Google to finally take this step. We definitely feel for any developer who works on this type of software, but it's likely a pain that is unavoidable.
    Oh I wasn't digging at you, just throwing my opinion out there.
    dgstorm likes this.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    no big deal. those that are rooted will find ad blocker apps from other sources.
    whatever, I didn't even know adblock was on the play store until a few months ago.

and I stopped using it... big deal, to bad google did this though
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    This ftw
  11. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Oh I wasn't digging at you, just throwing my opinion out there.
    I know you weren't digging. I just thought I would add to the discussion a bit.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links