DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Reason for Samsung's Dominance: $11 Billion on Marketing & $10.6 Billion on R&D

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

The Reason for Samsung's Dominance: $11 Billion on Marketing & $10.6 Billion on R&D

Samsung holds the crown of the world's largest phone maker and the world's largest smartphone maker. They didn't get there because they make excellent and appealing devices. It also wasn't just luck. Nope. Samsung is dominating because they are pushing forward with a hyper-aggressive marketing and R&D budget. In fact, Samsung spent more money on advertising than HTC’s entire revenue for a year. Sammy spent $11 Billion dollars last year just in marketing. Here's a quote with some more specifics,

Samsung’s 2012 marketing war chest was 38 percent higher than last year, and a staggering 6.8 times larger than what the company spent back in 2005. To put this figure in perspective, the 2012 marketing expenses were 6.5 percent of Samsung’s total sales. Moreover, Samsung spent more money on promoting its products than HTC’s entire revenue in a year.

People at Samsung are aware that they owe their good fortunes to marketing:

“Samsung’s focus on marketing was the main reason the company was so successful last year,” said a source inside Samsung, asking not to be identified.

Of course, great marketing will only get you so far if you offer a crappy product. Although some will argue Samsung sometimes has a "plastic-y" feel to their devices, not everyone agrees with this. Regardless, it's hard to argue they don't offer cutting edge features. In fact, many of the most useful things that consumers can do on a smartphone OS can be found on the Samsung Galaxy of products, and this is even beyond what you find on stock Android. Plus, Samsung seems to always push the edge on the hardware inside their devices as well. From brilliant displays to powerful processors, Samsung develops a lot of the components for their devices themselves. They are constantly pushing to innovate both in software and hardware.

These innovations aren't cheap either. Last year Samsung spent almost as much on Research & Development as they did on marketing, to the tune of $10.6 Billion dollars. Their success seems to prove the old saying, "It takes money to make money." I wonder what their budget will be like this year?

Source: AndroidAuthority

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Yep, Sammie "stole" that idea from Apple ....meanwhile, Moto, HTC and others have simply begged for promotional scraps from VZW.

And you can see the results even throughout this board, because I'm not convinced Sammie's phones are all that better or different - but their marketing does a good job of making you think that. HTC Rezound is a great example because it flopped, and not because it wasn't an excellent phone.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8, Glass XE 2.0
    They didn't spend any of that money on the radios for my Charge or GNex. : )

Sometimes I feel like I need to go outside and tie a steel wire with a kite on it to my phone to get a signal or gps lock.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    since 4.1.1 my gnex has been pretty good with signal and gps lock. on 4.2.2 it's instant and 3g/4g hand off is flawless.

my wife's razr maxx still has the best reception of the two phones.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    I dont like Samsung phones....but one thing I give them credit for is being one step ahead in the specs and features dept. They try to cover all the bases, with specs, features, low and mid range phones. HTC too. What HTC is missing is the marketing.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    What HTC is missing is the marketing.
    That's their big problem, and they don't have the money to really pump into marketing. Sammie is a huge company and had the resources to invest in marketing.

It's no coincidence why Sammie and Apple are dominating the game. Question is at what point do consumers realize the market is commoditized and, as with pc's, there's no real value in paying for the marketing.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm assuming this is for the company as a whole, and not just the mobile phones sector, right? Just curious.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    since 4.1.1 my gnex has been pretty good with signal and gps lock. on 4.2.2 it's instant and 3g/4g hand off is flawless.

my wife's razr maxx still has the best reception of the two phones.
    My wife's GNex i sway better on 4.2.1 when it comes to 4G and GPS. Even she noticed and she never notices that kind of stuff. She still has VZW unlimited data and tends to use that instead of wifi because her work has horrible wifi speeds so she turns off wifi and never turns it back on when she's at home. Doesn't see the difference.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Samsung Vs Apple

Would love to see what Apples R & D Budget is compared to its lawsuit budget. I am sure those are some interesting numbers. When all of these companies spend hundreds of millions on lawsuits to me its just a waste of everyones time and money which could be better utilized making better products. If I was a shareholder of Apple I would be pissed. I can see protecting certain aspects of your technology but suing because your phone is a 4.1" Square which is too close to our phone size of 4.099" square is insane. Apple doesn't really invent anything. They are great at stealing others ideas and improving them to the point they are usable.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    HTC Rezound is a great example because it flopped, and not because it wasn't an excellent phone.
    I thought it flopped because it was an HTC. Lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links