DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: [Follow-Up] Senator Amy Klobuchar Intoduces Bill to Legalize Unlocking Cell Phones

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Follow-Up] Senator Amy Klobuchar Intoduces Bill to Legalize Unlocking Cell Phones

We have a follow-up article to share with you today regarding the movement to make it legal to unlock your cell phone. Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) has taken up the call to action following the White House's response yesterday affirming their desire to see this happen. She has just introduced a bill to address the issue, and intends to "get rid of the ban on unlocking cellphones." The FCC Chairman agrees with this action. Here's a quote with a few more details,

In a separate statement issued following the White House's official response, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski agreed with overturning the ban, saying that "from a communications policy perspective, this raises serious competition and innovation concerns, and for wireless consumers, it doesn't pass the common sense test." Both the White House and the FCC suggested that legislative action could resolve the issue.

That legislative action will arrive this week, and while there's no guarantee it will pass — Senator Klobuchar has not announced any cosponsors yet — it could ride on early support from the White House. "Consumers should be free to choose the phone and service that best fits their needs and their budgets," the senator said today. "We need to make sure consumers are getting a fair deal and today's announcement is a welcome step towards implementing consumer-friendly policies in the wireless industry."
    It's actually rather surprising that things are moving so swiftly. It was barely two weeks ago when the petition was first sent to the White House to get the ban lifted. Now, only a day after the White House's response, a Senator is taking action to change things. Of course, we will have to see if the bill passes through the House before we can call anything a victory, but at least the ball is rolling.

Source: TheVerge
  2. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Moving along faster than I thought it would.. That's great.
    cobravnm13 likes this.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Legally protected unlocking, universal LTE chips, and Google maybe entering the Wireless marketplace sometime in the future?

What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Sadly, i think the government is doing this in almost a cynical way- quickly get behind and pass something petitioned on that stupid site so they can claim they finally did something with it. Seems like a very non-controversial issue- allow phones to be unlocked after their contracts. Who wants to keep that 2 year old phone when it comes out of contract anyway?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 • Cricket Wireless
    Too bad we can't force congress to take some laxatives and get other $#!% to move this quickly in Washington. This is awesome news and it's nice to see consumer rights winning out over corporate greed. On the flip side I doubt there would have been much enforcement for this had it gone the other way - just look at the anti-piracy enforcement - seems like a never ending battle. At any rate the last thing Washington needs is more pissed-off people knocking on their door.
    “Innovation is not the product of logical thought..." ~Albert Einstein
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Okay this is starting to turn into a foul smelling political issue and I don't like where it is headed. I can see this becoming an anti-Big Business initiative, with all the usual anti-Big Business political types getting on the train. In the end I am not sure how many have actually unlocked their phone, not saying that is a reason not to keep it legal. But if this turns into an anti-Big Business effort then my support for it is out. I am tired of that line of thinking. Many of us are employed by Big Business and to continue to make it out to be some type of political monster is ridiculous.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  7. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Why does it have to be so "black and white"? I don't see this as becoming a political monster at all. It's just an issue that is important to many consumers. Just because you are pro-consumer protection, doesn't mean you necessarily have to be anti-Big Business. As long as Big Business works synergistically with its customer base, it is one of the prime movers of growth and social evolution. But that doesn't mean it can be unequivocally trusted to run rampant without any regulation. There must be balance in all things. Not too much regulation, but not too little either.

Just my 2.5 cents.
    MissionImprobable likes this.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    this crowd is hard to please. take it away, they complain. give it back, they still complain. take off your tinfoil hats and enjoy the fact that you guys made a difference for a change.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    this crowd is hard to please. take it away, they complain. give it back, they still complain. take off your tinfoil hats and enjoy the fact that you guys made a difference for a change.
    ^^ THIS. Perhaps its an issue that is pretty cut and dry on how it should be done. Not every issue is an easy one, but this one seems that way.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    Why does it have to be so "black and white"? I don't see this as becoming a political monster at all. It's just an issue that is important to many consumers. Just because you are pro-consumer protection, doesn't mean you necessarily have to be anti-Big Business. As long as Big Business works synergistically with its customer base, it is one of the prime movers of growth and social evolution. But that doesn't mean it can be unequivocally trusted to run rampant without any regulation. There must be balance in all things. Not too much regulation, but not too little either.

Just my 2.5 cents.
    I agree with much of what you say. I just see this as being largely a non-issue. 99.9% of users will never unlock their phones. I think a lot of this is what I said it is: an us vs. them mentality.

I'd like to see it handled NOT through legislation. Maybe the wireless companies could work with "power users" that go through a certification to get approval to do these types of things. I can see both sides of this issue, and you're right it isn't black and white, there are fair arguments on both sides. But there are also an "all or nothing majority" on both sides.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links