DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [Rumor] X Phone May Be Late; CFO states next device won’t 'wow by Goole's standards'

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Rumor] X Phone May Be Late; CFO states next device won’t 'wow by Goole's standards'

We have some potentially depressing news to share today. It's possible the rumors suggesting a Google I/O launch of the Motorola X Phone could be completely wrong. According to Google's own CFO, Patrick Pichette, when Google bought Motorola, they inherited an 18 month pipeline of devices that needs to be emptied first. He specifically shared the following,

"The case with Motorola is that we've inherited a pipeline. Motorola has a great set of products, but they're not really like 'wow' by Google standards. Dennis Woodside and his team have inherited 18 months of pipeline that we have to drain right now."
    This obviously implies one of two things. Either the X Phone isn't coming at Google I/O in May, or, if the X Phone is one of these devices still in the pipeline, it will not be the game-changer that we are all hoping it will be. Although neither of these outcomes is welcome, the previous one is probably a bit more palatable. I think most of us could agree that we would rather have the mythic X Phone take a bit longer to launch, then to come out and be a half-baked and unimpressive device.

Either way, if we can take his statements at face value it looks like we have a few more devices from the 18-month pipeline to wade through before Google actually hits the market with a true Google/Motorola device.

Share your thoughts...

Source: The Verge

3. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    266 times
    Phone
    droid MAXX
    I'll be happy with my RAZR MAXX HD til then. Maybe.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Come on Google!! Just release a Droid Nexus, put hardware in it that everyone will love and that works well, plop on KLP with no bloatware and watch profits soar. Just get straight to it already. Everyone wants that so then just make it!!
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I like physical storage, SD cards, etc....for that reason I have pretty low expectations for Google devices that are clearly trying to push your data through the cloud.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    I don't understand, you bought the company... why wade through their pipeline of garbage? just release something good... seriously no need to wade through a bunch of poor devices.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  7. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    I don't understand, you bought the company... why wade through their pipeline of garbage? just release something good... seriously no need to wade through a bunch of poor devices.
    Sounds like they really have no choice "this is what we bought guys lets try and make the best of it"
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    You can't not release those devices.

-You spent a lot of money developing those devices.

-You have the employees who worked hard designing those devices. Imagine spending half a year designing something and your new boss says they're just going to trash it.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Incredible 2
    Based on this and the not so impressive specs of the S4, it appears HTC may make some noise this year with the ONE. HTC One now appears to be the more impressive device in the coming months between the S4, X phone and it. Only feature that could be a negative on the One is the battery, but will still likely get you through the day. It has a superior display, camera, and tons of storage despite no SD card slot.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    That, and it takes time to develop new stuff.

And, yes, the price Google paid included a return on that existing pipeline R&D investment. They're not just going to eat that.

Also, don't forget when they bought it Google made several comments to put partners at ease that they wouldn't favor Moto or leverage it to directly compete. I think you will be disappointed if you're expecting Google to use Moto to dominate the handset market. I'd really don't expect anything more than the occasional experience device, in limited quantities, aimed at relatively small consumer segments (think that ridiculous laptop they just unveiled).
  11. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1681 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I see the s3 continuing to sell. How many people sitting on an update will see this and s4 and just go, eh can get last years s3 that is still a good phone for a steal.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links