DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm

Thread: ZTE Partnering with NVIDIA to Bring First Tegra 4 Smartphones by End of Q2 2013

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2052 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

ZTE Partnering with NVIDIA to Bring First Tegra 4 Smartphones by End of Q2 2013

Interestingly, it looks like the Chinese phone maker ZTE will be the first OEM to come out with a smartphone equipped with a NVIDIA Tegra 4 chipset. According to the press release, this new phone will also make use of NVIDIA's separate but included i500 LTE Modem, and will come in more than one device. (interestingly, NVIDIA's Tegra 4i chipset integrates the modem with the CPU.) For now the ZTE smartphones were only officially announced for China, but that doesn't mean the phones won't go international eventually. Here's the press release,

ZTE and NVIDIA Partner To Launch First Tegra 4 Super Phones

New Devices to Feature 72 Custom GPU Cores, Quad-Core Cortex-A15 CPU, Icera i500 LTE Chipset for High Performance, Power Efficiency, Fast 4G Networking

20 February 2013, Shenzhen, China – ZTE Corporation (“ZTE”), a publicly-listed global provider of telecommunications equipment, network solutions and mobile devices has announced that it is partnering with NVIDIA to deliver the first super phones powered by the NVIDIAŽ TegraŽ 4 mobile processor, with the first models to reach the market before mid-year.
    ZTE has a long-term strategic partnership with NVIDIA and expects to launch the first Tegra 4 super phones in China in the first half of 2013. The Tegra 4 processor was only announced by NVIDIA in January, at the CES 2013 exhibition in Las Vegas.

“This is a clear demonstration of ZTE’s ability to quickly develop, and bring to market, market-leading devices running the industry’s latest technologies,” said Mr. He Shiyou, ZTE EVP and Head of the Terminal Division.

The NVIDIA Tegra 4 will enable the ZTE devices to deliver ultra-fast web browsing, improved app load times, more realistic gaming experiences and great battery life – thanks to the processor’s 72 custom NVIDIA GeForceŽ cores and quad-core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU. Tegra 4 also enables worldwide 4G LTE voice and data support through an optional chipset, the NVIDIA i500 processor. ZTE and NVIDIA are also planning a new LTE super phone using the i500 LTE chipset for blazing-fast networking.

These new devices build on ZTE and NVIDIA’s success with previous smartphones such as the Grand X, the first smartphone powered by both the Tegra processor and NVIDIA’s Icera modem; the Grand Era super phone with Tegra 3; and the U950, the first premium quad-core smartphone with Tegra 3 priced below $160 USD.

"We’re proud to continue our pioneering partnership with NVIDIA and are looking forward to offering more Tegra-powered devices, which are defining a new generation of phones offering premium mobile computing experiences,” said Mr. He. "Our Tegra 4 smartphones will provide full HD entertainment and multimedia experiences that consumers will love."
    "ZTE's newest super phones will show off Tegra 4's processing power, efficiency and unprecedented capabilities,” said Phil Carmack, Senior Vice President of the Mobile business at NVIDIA. “They’re a great example of what the market expects from one of the world's largest phone makers."
    Last edited by dgstorm; 02-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    jspradling7 likes this.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    186 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8, Glass XE 2.0
    won'g go international
    Thanx, I needed the laugh. Gotta love typos.

Interesting story. thanx.
  4. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2052 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradling7 View Post
    Thanx, I needed the laugh. Gotta love typos.

Interesting story. thanx.
    Thanks for the heads-up. It's been a busy morning!

Links