DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Google VP Comments on Future Nexus Cameras; 'insanely great, just you wait and see'

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Google VP Comments on Future Nexus Cameras; 'insanely great, just you wait and see'

The above quote in the title is a paraphrasing of Vic Gundrota's recent comments on the Google Developers Google+ page. Gundrota is the Google Senior VP of engineering, and he was replying to someone's comment about camera quality in Nexus devices. His full quote is, "We are committed to making Nexus phones insanely great cameras. Just you wait and see." Of course, that's a great thing to hear, and we will be watching carefully to see if Google adheres to this promise when the next Nexus or the X Phone arrives later this year.

It's been obvious since the last Nexus device that Google has concentrated on this functionality with a bit more fervor. The software and UI enhancements they made in the Nexus 4 were a decent improvement over a fairly neglected feature in previous devices. Still, there's only so much you can do in software before you really need to improve the sensors and other hardware. Let's cross our fingers that Mr. Gundrota's comments will lead to some remarkable improvements.

Source: Vic Gundrota - Google+
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chapman_troy
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Now that Apple's contract on the good camera hardware is expired, hopefully Moto, LG and others can improve their camera.
    Motorola Razr Maxx phone & Xoom tablet
    *filled with JellyBean goodies*
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Sorry, but there is no way in hell a phone's camera will ever compare to even 20% of the quality of a DSLR. They refer to 'big and heavy cameras' so you have to assume they mean DSLR as point and shoots are quite small and light. I'll keep my DSLR thank you very much.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    Sorry, but there is no way in hell a phone's camera will ever compare to even 20% of the quality of a DSLR. They refer to 'big and heavy cameras' so you have to assume they mean DSLR as point and shoots are quite small and light. I'll keep my DSLR thank you very much.
    I agree, there is only so much you can do when you're trying to bend light through a lens the size of a sesame seed.

It's not just the # of pixels.

Ron W.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Obviously the hardware (and dimensions) just isn't there, maybe ever, to compete with a DSLR. But I'm pretty happy with my Rezound. I wouldn't rely on it if I NEEDED to capture that great shot, but it'll do for sightseeing, traveling, etc...

I just keep wondering when will see some sort of telescoping mechanism. Seems totally doable and would significantly improve quality.

Maybe Google has come up with some mind-blowing software to create the "illusion" of better quality.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    I hope this means that a Motorola Nexus will have a great camera.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]

Links