DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cool New Kickstarter Project Rhino Shield Aims to Protect Our Displays from Impact

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2026 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Cool New Kickstarter Project Rhino Shield Aims to Protect Our Displays from Impact

After finding this amazing new project over on Kickstarter, we just had to share it. A company called Evolutive Labs is developing a new transparent cover for our mobile device displays that goes far beyond protecting them from just scratches. It's called Rhino Shield and it aims to protect the display on our smartphones and tablets from heavy impact, including being dropped or hit with a hammer!

Here's a brief tidbit of their product description,

What is Rhino Shield

RhinoShield is a patent pending and custom formulated polymer created by our team. This polymer offers extraordinary impact absorption and excellent transparency. Rhino Shield is designed to be used in conjunction with the any case, or on its own.

Thin and Transparent is just Rhino Shield appearance. Silky smooth is its skin texture.

Impact Resistance Our specially designed shock-absorption layer can oppose many types of impacts. Any scenario that you may encounter in your everyday lives.
    The bottom line is their product adds a layer of shock and impact protection that anyone would be glad to have, even if you rarely drop your device. Be sure to hit up the source link below to see their video demonstration and pledge some funds if you are so inclined. Hopefully it will live up to its promise and get bought up by a large scale manufacturer.

Source: Kickstarter - Rhino Shield

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I'm down.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    meh...
    Last edited by xeene; 02-15-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    meh...
    my thoughts exactly. It bugged me that in their video, they always peeled something off after the test. What did they peel off? Does their stuff not protect against scratches so they were cleverly covering that up a bit? I've dropped all my phones from about 4 feet up and most of the time they survived, but I have also had to buy a digitizer off amazon a time or two too. So many variables go into whether or not the glass will break when dropped, a simple ball bearing test doesn't do.

So, I'll reitterate what xeene said. Meh...
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    good thing everybody donated to destroy perfectly fine iPhones for that video...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    my thoughts exactly. It bugged me that in their video, they always peeled something off after the test. What did they peel off? Does their stuff not protect against scratches so they were cleverly covering that up a bit? I've dropped all my phones from about 4 feet up and most of the time they survived, but I have also had to buy a digitizer off amazon a time or two too. So many variables go into whether or not the glass will break when dropped, a simple ball bearing test doesn't do.

I thought that was obvious. It was the cover. It protected the phone from the impact and scratches just fine, but it seemed to ruin the actual cover in every test. So I would hope they have local installers and a good warranty, but I doubt it
    jroc and liftedplane like this.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Hah. I didn't even think about the fact that by only using iPhones they were saving wonderful Android devices for other use =p
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Google Nexus
    hammer companies fail these day
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD

I think what they were peeling off was the Rhino Shield..... That and the last clip at the site showed them putting it on an iPhone... Its basically supposed to be a very strong screen protector.

It did look like it the protector was getting damaged by the knife and pick. The clip with just the Gorilla glass on that machine...being shattered without Rhino... seems like they need a way to rub and get rid of the knife and pick marks.

I dont use screen protectors, havent since 2010...is this any different than whats out now? I know everything from the Kickstarter Project isnt gonna be good, but this could be nice if it really is different than whats out now.
    Last edited by jroc; 02-16-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    the last clip is what turned me off. if they wanted to make a statement they should have put on a protector on iphone and took a hammer to it to make a point, but i'm pretty sure they knew what the end result would have been.

another thing that bothers me is they state to be based from uk, yet when i check registration of evolutivelabs.com it belongs to chingfu wang from taichung, taiwan.

things that make you go hmm...
    Last edited by xeene; 02-16-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II

you seriously can't be that daft?
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links