DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dire Times for HTC; Engineer Staff Being Forced to Work Without Overtime

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Dire Times for HTC; Engineer Staff Being Forced to Work Without Overtime

Things may be getting worse over at HTC than we originally thought. Not too long ago, they shared in an earnings call that they were able to slash their R&D overhead costs by a great deal. What was strange about this was that there were not layoffs to bring this about. Today's report sheds more light on the subject. Apparently, HTC made the tough choice of eliminating over-time pay for over a thousand R&D engineers instead of having mass layoffs.

Of course, this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you saved a bunch of people's jobs. On the other hand, they have been working 12 hour days but only getting paid for 8 hours. No matter how loyal someone is to a company, eventually that will take its toll on morale. This all came to light because of precisely that reason. According to the report, one of HTC's engineers sent an angry letter to the CEO of the company, Peter Chou. In the letter, he shares his frustration. Here's a quote from the source of this news with a paraphrase included,

“… requiring more than a thousand engineers to work 12 hour days according to “responsibility system” without any overtime compensation, for more than a year… which means 1000+ hours of uncompensated overtime per person per year – is extremely unreasonable…”

Well, my Google Chinese was off somewhat.

In comments Liaw Kim Poh •says it wasn’t 1000 guys, it was just 1 guy. But…. he asked … how the fff…. long would we have to work these 12hr shifts without overtime (talking about 5000 engineers who had to do that)

And, frankly, I’m not sure which is better. 1K guys speaking out, or 5K sending a representative…

HTC says it complied with all the Taiwan’s labor laws.
    We understand that things are tough for HTC, but if they start to lose their engineers, then things will only get worse. What do you guys think? Can HTC turn things around, or is it a sinking ship?

Source: UnWiredView
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    1) welcome to the world of a salaried employee.
    2) if these engineers are worth as much as they think they are, maybe HTC would be selling more phones and not be in this situation to begin with.
    3) I'd like to see HTC say "fine, we'll do it your way", fire 3/4 of the engineering department so they can afford to pay the remaining 1/4 their precious overtime. I'm sure those let go would have a change of heart.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    I think they can definitely turn things around. They just need to forget the research they did that showed people want a thin phone over one with a great battery. Now that I have a Maxx HD I don't think I could ever switch to a phone that has significantly less battery life. It doesn't matter how awesome your camera is or how great your screen is if the battery doesn't let you get the use you want out of the thing!!!

HTC has great phones with great screens (They need to stick with LCD!!!) and great camera's! All they need is great batteries! If they would have put a Maxx battery in the DNA it would have sold like hot cakes. The best device HTC has now is probably the Evo 4G LTE - MicroSD slot, 2000mAh battery, and everything else HTC is known for. Actually the MicroSD slot was something else missing on the DNA. They should have given the DNA 32GB of storage and a MicroSD slot. Really though, even with the 16GB of storage you got a ton for the money at $200. It really would have sold better with a MicroSDXC slot and a 3300mAh battery - even if it was a little thicker or not rounded on the sides.

It wouldn't hurt them to lose Sense either. If nothing else they should change their task switcher so it scrolls vertically when in held in portrait orientation, basically like stock.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8!
    They will restructure and get headed in the right direction. They make great devices that are reliable for the most part.

Now they are being paid for 8 hours when working 12 hours or are being paid straight time for 12 hours with no time and half increase for overtime?

As stated this will lead to salary.

I will always buy an HTC phone even if they go back Audiovox :O
    Last edited by shockracer; 02-08-2013 at 04:28 PM.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    HTC is on the way out. The T-bolt just now getting ICS? A mid 2011 phone? Really? REALLY?

I'll never buy another HTC product. I promise, HTC...
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I think HTC makes good phones. I had a Tbolt. the biggest problem was that it was a guinea pig for Verizon's LTE experiment. The product was rushed. The said, HTC could make a perfect phone and will not matter. There are only 2 companies making money in the smartphone business; Apple and Samsung. They have one thing in common. They market to the masses. They market practical concepts and tell people their phones will make their lives better. HTC markets to us. The spec geeks and techno junkies that go to forums. I know it's nice to think we matter, but we don't when it comes to profits (see Nexuses for reference). Look how many people in these forums swear by Moto. Guess what, they don't make money either. It boils down to having a pulse of society. They must let those nerdy engineers run their marketing department too. Hmmm which phone should Joe and Mary Average get? The Apple phone that helps me take great panorama's of my kid's soccer team and blocks background noise from my calls or the Droid DNA that ridiculously claims it can turn me into the 6 million dollar man?
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    i love watching arrogant companies burn a fiery death.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    i love watching arrogant companies burn a fiery death.
    *insert fruity comment here*

either way, if they are being salaried it comes down to this. Work your ass off and get paid the same, or get fired and find another job. I was salaried for seven years, there are times when it sucks, and times when it's great. definitely a double edged sword.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Yup, there are a large number of professionals who work more than 40 hours a week. My advice, suck it up. The boom of the 90's is gone & we will probably never see that again in our lifetime.

Option #2, engineer bigger batteries in your otherwise great phones & when sales increase overtime compensation comes back.
    AC Shade

Yes my avatar is a chicken....WITH A CAMERA ON ITS HEAD!!!!
    Typed from some sort of computing device, but probably from my LG G2 which is fun to say over and over and over again...
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid DNA
    Quote Originally Posted by hotice View Post
    I think they can definitely turn things around. They just need to forget the research they did that showed people want a thin phone over one with a great battery. Now that I have a Maxx HD I don't think I could ever switch to a phone that has significantly less battery life. It doesn't matter how awesome your camera is or how great your screen is if the battery doesn't let you get the use you want out of the thing!!!

HTC has great phones with great screens (They need to stick with LCD!!!) and great camera's! All they need is great batteries! If they would have put a Maxx battery in the DNA it would have sold like hot cakes. The best device HTC has now is probably the Evo 4G LTE - MicroSD slot, 2000mAh battery, and everything else HTC is known for. Actually the MicroSD slot was something else missing on the DNA. They should have given the DNA 32GB of storage and a MicroSD slot. Really though, even with the 16GB of storage you got a ton for the money at $200. It really would have sold better with a MicroSDXC slot and a 3300mAh battery - even if it was a little thicker or not rounded on the sides.

It wouldn't hurt them to lose Sense either. If nothing else they should change their task switcher so it scrolls vertically when in held in portrait orientation, basically like stock.
    I read on another forum where a member contacted HTC about the lack of memory. They were told that Verizon speced the 16g and no sd slot. That part might not be HTC's fault
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links