DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Activist Puts Wireless Carriers On Notice to Provide Regular Android Security Updates

1. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    If Apple has done one thing right, it's keeping control of their product away from the carriers. Obviously, having a much more exclusive product lineup is a major plus in keeping that control, but it's still kind of refreshing to see them do it...

And while we all say we'd love to see Google do this, we know that'll never happen. Rubin said a couple of years ago that Google is open source for the carriers / OEMs, not so much for the consumer. Most consumers couldn't care less about that aspect of Android.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    If Apple has done one thing right, it's keeping control of their product away from the carriers. Obviously, having a much more exclusive product lineup is a major plus in keeping that control, but it's still kind of refreshing to see them do it...

And while we all say we'd love to see Google do this, we know that'll never happen. Rubin said a couple of years ago that Google is open source for the carriers / OEMs, not so much for the consumer. Most consumers couldn't care less about that aspect of Android.
    So,with the facts you just stated,do you think all this(Activist puts Wireless Carriers on notice)is for nothing?
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankintopwater69 View Post
    So,with the facts you just stated,do you think all this(Activist puts Wireless Carriers on notice)is for nothing?
    If this was a headline story I bet the only thing any carrier CEO would do with it is, just like any other story in print, use it in the bottom of their bird cage and give it no more thought than that. Cash is king

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankintopwater69 View Post
    Until they figure out how to fix this part, "because the hardware vendor has thin [profit] margins", unfortunately I do.

Does the ACLU have the clout to do something about it? And make the carriers listen? Probably so... but that'll be a hard sell once it goes beyond this guy talking into a situation where it starts costing the ACLU money to back it.

Like Mark said... cash is king.

Guidelines of Conduct
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I just feel this article and some of the responses in this have been that of entitlement. "I deserve this or that." Like it is some kind of inane right to have the best smart phone with the latest greatest OS. I see this as one of Americas biggest problems right now. I know it can be frusterating.... but you should NEVER consider that your phone can do more or be more than on the day you bought it. If your phone does get an update AWESOME!!! Unexpected bonus... But dont demand it like its your rights. How ridiculous!! Be content people.
    Now if you can Rom it and get it where you want great... then DO IT. Dont get me wrong I think Verizon is the DEVIL... But hey if I dont like them... I guess I can take my Dollars else where. Thats the way you should see it too. With capatalism Vote with your Dollars.
    I am SURE I am going to catch alot of flack for these statements and thats Ok I am still protected under my 1st Amendment. LOL
    If people want to wine about what they dont have.... thats protected under the 1st Amendment too. I just feel Sorry for you is all.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swc2001 View Post
    I just feel this article and some of the responses in this have been that of entitlement. "I deserve this or that." Like it is some kind of inane right to have the best smart phone with the latest greatest OS. I see this as one of Americas biggest problems right now. I know it can be frusterating.... but you should NEVER consider that your phone can do more or be more than on the day you bought it. If your phone does get an update AWESOME!!! Unexpected bonus... But dont demand it like its your rights. How ridiculous!! Be content people.
    Now if you can Rom it and get it where you want great... then DO IT. Dont get me wrong I think Verizon is the DEVIL... But hey if I dont like them... I guess I can take my Dollars else where. Thats the way you should see it too. With capatalism Vote with your Dollars.
    I am SURE I am going to catch alot of flack for these statements and thats Ok I am still protected under my 1st Amendment. LOL
    If people want to wine about what they dont have.... thats protected under the 1st Amendment too. I just feel Sorry for you is all.
    I agree with you if we're simply talking about bells & whistles, or new features... but security patches and updates are also a part of the problem, and it's no sense of entitlement that one should expect their phone to be updated in a timely fashion if there is a security issue. The carriers should also provide this support for 2 years, since that's what they're locking you into.

My only other rebuttal to your statement would be the fact that a lot of times the phones are advertised as "to be updated to..." whatever OS.

That said, I couldn't agree with you more on the sense of entitlement in our country, and do think it's a huge problem, and also think that a lot of the heated threads on the forums are related more to that sense of entitlement than to worries about security patches.

Guidelines of Conduct
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    I agree with you if we're simply talking about bells & whistles, or new features... but security patches and updates are also a part of the problem, and it's no sense of entitlement that one should expect their phone to be updated in a timely fashion if there is a security issue. The carriers should also provide this support for 2 years, since that's what they're locking you into.

My only other rebuttal to your statement would be the fact that a lot of times the phones are advertised as "to be updated to..." whatever OS.

That said, I couldn't agree with you more on the sense of entitlement in our country, and do think it's a huge problem, and also think that a lot of the heated threads on the forums are related more to that sense of entitlement than to worries about security patches.
    My Incredible 1 isn't getting key lime pie and I'm so distraught because Verizon and Google don't care about my wants. At this point I'd be happy if they'd send out an update to fix what they broke in the last update. In all seriousness I was very very content with froyo on it and didn't get the bug to get a new phone until the botched Gingerbread attempts they pushed.
    The only earth shattering thing ICS did for my Rezound was give the ability to install Nova without needing root. I could care less how much or little bloatware is in my phone since Android is so good at ignoring what isn't being used.
    I come back to the cash is king though and bet the ceos are saying "pfffft! aflci who?"

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links