DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Study Shows Slow Adoption Rate of Digital Wallets Due to Lack of Understanding

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    The video is kind of misleading in the fact that the information that they stole is the exact same info a store clerk gets with every transaction. You essentially hand that info out DAILY. If you think that a company's hiring process is a line of consumer defense just google "waiter or clerk arrested credit card fraud" and see how many stories pop up.
    As to this: disagree. I can tell you EXACTLY where I used my Credit Card today. One place. So my card is exposed a few times a day to a cashier.
    How many people have I walked by today? 50? 100? Quite a bit different odds.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    You do know that Google Wallet doesn't transmit NFC wallet data unless you enter your pin code to initiate the sale AND the screen is on. While the phone is dormant and in your pocket it's not giving up anything.

So today you've given out more credit card data to more people than I would if I made 100 transactions with GW.

How about those odds?
    delcopa likes this.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Re: Study Shows Slow Adoption Rate of Digital Wallets Due to Lack of Understanding

Quote Originally Posted by PereDroid View Post
    You're just assuming.

"A surge in thefts of iPhone and iPads is responsible for a slight uptick in New York City's overall crime rate, according to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.Apple's products were the preferred mobile device target of many thieves in the city, Bloomberg noted during his weekly radio address, according to the New York Times.
    Statistics published by the New York Police Department revealed that as of Monday, there were 3,484 more major crimes reported in 2012 than for the same period last year. During that time, the city experienced 3,890 more thefts of Apple products.
    "If you just took away the jump in Apple, we'd be down for the year," Marc La Vorgna, the mayor's press secretary, told the Times."

Article: NYC mayor blames theft of Apple devices for uptick in crime | Apple - CNET News

Not to mention: thieves really don't want credit cards anymore. Steal my credit card and I am on the phone with the bank 5 minutes after you leave. Those are worthless.
    Yes but still major city, and also Apple. People tend to have a thing for Apple but they can even do nfc at all. But wallets still have cash which is accepted pretty much everywhere in the world. Joe Doe might not know how to get rid of a stolen phone but they know how to get rid of cash lol. People now a days take anything not nailed down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Re: Study Shows Slow Adoption Rate of Digital Wallets Due to Lack of Understanding

It's 2013. If you don't have a locator w/remote wipe app installed on your phone it deserves to be stolen.
    Totally agree have had remote wipe for years started on BlackBerry then exchange so always had that Google wallet had its own wipe feature of they don't have it on the phone at least virtual wallet protected.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    You do know that Google Wallet doesn't transmit NFC wallet data unless you enter your pin code to initiate the sale AND the screen is on. While the phone is dormant and in your pocket it's not giving up anything.

So today you've given out more credit card data to more people than I would if I made 100 transactions with GW.

How about those odds?
    I was talking g specifically about the video that was posted and the comment made about the video which talks about nfc cards.

Nobody has any thoughts on my privacy comments?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I don't understand all the phone thefts anyway. Once the ESN is declared bad it's freaking useless. Guess it's still useable as an mp3 player and for WIFI features.

Anyway, until there's more widespread marketing of digital wallets & NFC is a standard feature of all phones--which is happening over time--this will continue being a novelty method of payment.

As to losing your phone, that's on you =p Never lost a wallet or a phone but if it happens I'll survive. Remote wiping is your friend. Not sure what the talk is about beating someone home and changing the pin before they can do anything. The better remote features are not connected to the phone's built-in security, and Cerberus and Avast can both survive a full data reset and SBF.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links