DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: RIM Officially Launches BlackBerry 10; Too Little Too Late or Good Competition?

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

RIM Officially Launches BlackBerry 10; Too Little Too Late or Good Competition?

One of the big tech announcements for today is not Android related, but could potentially still affect the mobile industry. Research in Motion officially launched the BlackBerry 10 OS along with the BlackBerry Z10 all-touchscreen phone and the BlackBerry Q10 with QWERTY keyboard phone. For the most part, it looks like RIM has been working hard to iron out the kinks in their mobile OS, although most of the preliminary reviews across the web all say it is much better than the past BB OS, but it still lacks polish and useful apps.

The other problem industry pundits are finding with the new product, isn't the software or the hardware, it's the fact that RIM brought out a high-end product with a high-end carrier contract price. There seems to be an indirect consensus amongst journalists that RIM should have followed Microsoft's lead by offering a cheaper option at first with a much lower subsidized price of below $100, or perhaps even Free. That way, RIM could potentially draw in new customers just on the value savings alone. By jumping into the market in the high-end it forces consumers to make a choice between BB10 and the Android or iPhone they have already grown accustomed to. At a cheaper price point, it might be easier to justify taking that risk, but at $150-200 dollars, most folks will think twice.

At this point, it is beginning to look like the best the BB10 OS can hope for is fighting Microsoft for "table scraps left on the floor" from Android and iOS. Of course, just because some journalist shared his/her opinion doesn't necessarily mean the market will translate that perspective into reality directly. One could argue that the beginning of the Android OS lacked polish and useful apps too, but we can see how that turned out. If RIM can truly reinvent itself, this new transformation might just put them back in the race.

What do you think? Is it too late for RIM, or could we finally be seeing a worthy third competitor in the mobile OS landscape?
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    I actually wrote 5 BlackBerry apps for this release for a company out in Washington. They did do something pretty interesting for this release where you can port Android APKs to BlackBerry BARs which will run flawlessly on the BlackBerry devices. You can convert an apk at apk2bar.unker.net and then they went a step further and I think it was $150 they offered to Android developers if you ported your app over for this release. They saw a huge influx of Android ports due to the program and because the ability to do this is there.

So in the end their app market is now top notch since they saw so many ports they actually had to go and hire a lot more people to man the approval process since they underestimated it.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    If it is a good OS and with what gflam said, I have to wonder if businesses will migrate back to it. BB has a long standing relationship with businesses.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    rim stock has tanked today, obviously for a reason. as far as i know, most government and non profit organizations have or are switching to ios.

i work for a non profit health system(a few dozen hospitals and clinics) and we have switched from bb to ios years ago.

i'll give rim two years before they're either bought out or bankrupt.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    Looks good, not android good, but a good a tempt. The thing Rim has going for them is all the corporate businesses that already currently use BB phones and BB servers.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    Also more competition is better for everyone.
    mountainbikermark likes this.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, G Nex, Razr MAxx

Re: RIM Officially Launches BlackBerry 10; Too Little Too Late or Good Competition?

I think even if this is a decent release it may be too little to late...

Sent from RAZR Maxx on JB
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus - 4.3 - Shiny ROM

Droid Razr Maxx (XT912) - 4.2.2 - Buttered AOKP ROM

OG Droid (retired) - 2.3.7 - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7)
  8. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @init2winitapps
    Phone
    Moto Droid/HTC Evo 3D
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by xeene View Post
    rim stock has tanked today, obviously for a reason. as far as i know, most government and non profit organizations have or are switching to ios.

i work for a non profit health system(a few dozen hospitals and clinics) and we have switched from bb to ios years ago.

i'll give rim two years before they're either bought out or bankrupt.
    I don't personally follow stocks a little young still ha but according to my dad at least they have been rising a lot up until this point. I'm pretty curious though nonetheless to see how they do with the new release. I honestly think they might be coming back maybe not to Android level but I could see them still surpassing the falling iPhone
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by gflam View Post
    you can port Android APKs to BlackBerry BARs which will run flawlessly on the BlackBerry devices. You can convert an apk at apk2bar.unker.net and then they went a step further and I think it was $150 they offered to Android developers if you ported your app over for this release.
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by gflam View Post
    I don't personally follow stocks a little young still ha but according to my dad at least they have been rising a lot up until this point. I'm pretty curious though nonetheless to see how they do with the new release. I honestly think they might be coming back maybe not to Android level but I could see them still surpassing the falling iPhone
    haven't followed it myself either. However, if stocks were rising in days leading up to the announcement, and then tanked after the announcement...I'm guessing people weren't exactly thrilled with what they saw.

Competition is good for the consumer, better pricing, better devices, more innovation(as long as apple isn't involved).
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links