DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: RIP: Verizon Discontinuing Droid RAZR, Droid 4, the 32GB SGS3, HTC Rezound & More

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2081 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

RIP: Verizon Discontinuing Droid RAZR, Droid 4, the 32GB SGS3, HTC Rezound & More

Sadly, it is now time to bow our heads in collective silence as "the end of the line" has come to some of Verizon's best devices. We have a leaked version of Big Red's newest End of Life list. This is for phones that are being discontinued. Here's a breakdown of just some of the phones that have met or are nearing their final power-on,
    • HTC Rezound - fully retired and out of stock
    • DROID 4 - fully retired - final shipments in February
    • DROID RAZR - retired - final shipments received
    • LG Lucid - will be retired on the 15th of February - final shipments then
    • Casio Commando - will be retired May 15th.
    • 32GB Galaxy S III - fully retired and final shipments received

There were a few more, but these are the most notable named phones. In a way, it's not surprising that some of these devices have reached the apex of their lifespan. For example the 32GB SGS3 was an odd device to begin with considering it has a microSD slot. Still, it will be sad to see some of these go. Share your opinions of these devices as a final epitaph...

Source: AndroidPolice
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    400 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    The S3 is a shocker actually. The rest are quite old devices, but the S3 is still selling strong. I mean, many places still sell the S2. Oh well, Verizon is craptastic anyways.
    combatmedic870 and cobravnm13 like this.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  3. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    There were a few more, but these are the most notable named phones. In a way, it's not surprising that some of these devices have reached the apex of their lifespan. For example the 32GB SGS3 was an odd device to begin with considering it has a microSD slot. Still, it will be sad to see some of these go. Share your opinions of these devices as a final epitaph...
    Not really. Given that Android no longer natively supports moving apps to the SD card, the 32GB model was a great choice for those who want to load up on large apps (particularly games) without worrying about having to root the device. That said, it's not surprising that it's on its way out. Most people want the 16GB model simply because it's cheaper.

As for the rest of the devices, given how far out each one is from its initial release (and the fact that nearly all of them have suitable or direct replacements), I'm not surprised in the slightest by any of them.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  4. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    The S3 is a shocker actually. The rest are quite old devices, but the S3 is still selling strong. I mean, many places still sell the S2. Oh well, Verizon is craptastic anyways.
    They'll still be selling the 16GB S3. That's the model that the overwhelming majority of people purchase anyway.

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    When did Android stop allowing people to move apps to the microSD card? My ICS D4 allows for this.

Sad to see my old faithful D4 being retired. It may not have the sex appeal of the Galaxy SIII, but it's worked well for me.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    As for the rest of the devices, given how far out each one is from its initial release (and the fact that nearly all of them have suitable or direct replacements), I'm not surprised in the slightest by any of them.
    except the droid 4, and still no word on a droid 5... kinda disheartening. I want a great keyboard phone, one that's on part with the full touchscreen ones... it always seemed like they were just a tiny bit behind in screen size, which sucks I'm blind and need larger screens.

oh well, something may be coming we don't know about.
    cobravnm13 likes this.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  7. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member

Re: RIP: Verizon Discontinuing Droid RAZR, Droid 4, the 32GB SGS3, HTC Rezound & More

Quote Originally Posted by silverfang77 View Post
    When did Android stop allowing people to move apps to the microSD card? My ICS D4 allows for this.

Sad to see my old faithful D4 being retired. It may not have the sex appeal of the Galaxy SIII, but it's worked well for me.
    Jelly Bean officially. There are also several devices that didn't allow it on ICS, such as the RAZR and RAZR MAXX.

I'm incredibly surprised to hear that the Droid 4 supports it in the stock ICS software. Does it really move apps to the actual microSD card, or is it reading part of the partitioned internal memory as being an SD card like ICS on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX does?
    FastKatt likes this.

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Twitter
    NeoPhoenixTE
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Maserati) - CM10.1.2
    My poor Droid4 isn't that old it seems. It's still on deck for a Jelly Bean upgrade, and it's the first 4G Qwerty phone on Verizon. I'd consider it a solid investment, really.

But, alas, I guess everyone must move on.

I think this means Verizon is no longer selling any Qwerty keyboard phones. That's....actually not good....
  9. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenixTE View Post
    My poor Droid4 isn't that old it seems. It's still on deck for a Jelly Bean upgrade, and it's the first 4G Qwerty phone on Verizon. I'd consider it a solid investment, really.

But, alas, I guess everyone must move on.

I think this means Verizon is no longer selling any Qwerty keyboard phones. That's....actually not good....
    They still have the Stratosphere 2 and the Pantech Marauder.

And I think the original Stratosphere was the first Verizon LTE device with a physical qwerty keyboard. It was released about four months before the Droid 4. But the Droid 4 was the first serious LTE device with a physical qwerty since the first Stratosphere was essentially the year and a half old Galaxy S with a smaller screen and keyboard.

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC REZOUND
    No matter what they say, Verizon practically retired the Rezound last year. It was the best 4G phone they had in 2011 going into 2012. They never pushed it, they never gave it the attention it deserved. It was one of the best phones I've ever used. The camera was awesome, the screen was beautiful and boasted a higher pixel density than any phone in the US at the time. It had a nicer looking screen than my S3. But despite promises of an ICS upgrade "early 2012" we didn't see it till August. This phone would have done very well on AT&T. Alas, Verizon got their grubby, unqualified hands on it. RIP
    trestevenson likes this.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links