DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Just FYI: Saturday Jan 26th It Will Be Illegal in the US to Unlock Your Phone

1. Transformer RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5

Just FYI: Saturday Jan 26th It Will Be Illegal in the US to Unlock Your Phone

Quote Originally Posted by egambino View Post
    While I had no intention of unlocking my phone, just the fact that they are denying me the right to do with my property as I wish is galling to me. In my understanding of what was posted, since I bought my phone back in July...I should still be able to do it if I wish, correct?
    Correct. This only applies to new phones purchased after Jan 26th the way I read it.
    ASUS Transformer 16GB with Keyboard Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iPhone 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene." - Homer Jay Simpson
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by egambino View Post
    While I had no intention of unlocking my phone, just the fact that they are denying me the right to do with my property as I wish is galling to me. In my understanding of what was posted, since I bought my phone back in July...I should still be able to do it if I wish, correct?
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  5.1 KBDefiance,I Love it.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    RyanPm40
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I wasn't aware that it was legal before to hack your phone to use it on a network it wasn't built for... at first I thought this was talking about a bootloader, which would be understandable to be mad about, but I really don't see this as a big deal. Why would you not buy a phone supported by your carrier in the first place?
    Last edited by RyanPm40; 01-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
  4. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanPm40 View Post
    I wasn't aware that it was legal before to hack your phone to use it on a network it wasn't built for... at first I thought this was talking about a bootloader, which would be understandable to be mad about, but I really don't see this as a big deal. Why would you not buy a phone supported by your carrier in the first place?
    I think the idea that is most frustrating to folks, is that if they buy a device, and it has the capability (after an unlock) to work on a different network, then they should be allowed to do that (especially since you have to pay the carrier a monthly charge to be on their network). What difference does it make if they didn't buy the phone from them. I understand that this law is designed to give authorities a greater ability to prosecute the real criminals that steal phones, unlock them and sell them on the streets. However, it's like throwing the baby out with the bath-water, because it unfairly punishes the actual customers as well.
    rlittle66 likes this.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    Phone
    R2 unit
    - Why would it be "illegal"?

- Some carriers get better phones for certain people's needs.
    If we all agree on it, it must be true.[citation needed​]
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    U.S. Declares iPhone Jailbreaking Legal, Over Apple?s Objections | Threat Level | Wired.com

This was back in 2010.
  7. Transformer RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5

Just FYI: Saturday Jan 26th It Will Be Illegal in the US to Unlock Your Phone

I travel internationally for work. Sure, I can use my phone with a US SIM card, but data costs $20/MB and voice is around $0.40/min depending on the locale. If it is unlocked, I can pick up a prepaid SIM and get calls for $0.05/min and data for less than $0.05/MB.
    Narsil and rlittle66 like this.
    ASUS Transformer 16GB with Keyboard Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iPhone 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene." - Homer Jay Simpson
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    This is dumb. This is like telling people that if you buy a Ford, you cannot drive on Chevy roads. I should be able to take my device and go wherever I want for service. If I want to pay ATT for a phone, once my contract is up I decide to unlock it and take it to VZW, why should the government be involved and telling me I can't?

Oh, because the carriers paid a lot of money in lobbying and campaign contributions...
    dgstorm, Narsil and rlittle66 like this.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Moto X... The Game?
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    This is dumb. This is like telling people that if you buy a Ford, you cannot drive on Chevy roads. I should be able to take my device and go wherever I want for service. If I want to pay ATT for a phone, once my contract is up I decide to unlock it and take it to VZW, why should the government be involved and telling me I can't?

Oh, because the carriers paid a lot of money in lobbying and campaign contributions...
    +1
    I second that argument!
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member

Re: Just FYI: Saturday Jan 26th It Will Be Illegal in the US to Unlock Your Phone

Quote Originally Posted by mustangdroid View Post
    So what happens if I want to use an at&t or T-Mobile phone with straight talk? They sell the sim to use it on their network and phone don't have to be unlocked.
    This would still be legal, since as you said...the phone doesn't have to be unlocked to do so. The difference here is that StraightTalk uses the actual network of either AT&T or T-Mobile *(not sure which)*, so there isn't any need to "jailbreak" the phone as it were...

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links