DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: [Rumor] Google's CEO May Have Hinted at 'Unbreakable' X Phone with Strong Battery

  1. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #1

    [Rumor] Google's CEO May Have Hinted at 'Unbreakable' X Phone with Strong Battery


    We have some hot news this morning. Google's CEO, Larry Page made some comments during the company's fourth quarter earnings call last night. Many in the industry are speculating he was hinting at the rumored Motorola X Phone. Further, if he is talking about the next X Phone, it will supposedly be "unbreakable" (or at least very durable) and come with a strong battery life. Here is a quote that includes those comments,

    Twice during today’s earnings call, Google executives emphasized that when the company bought Motorola, Motorola already had a 12 to 18 month “product pipeline” in the works, which Google is still “working through.” Google could have shut down Motorola’s work on existing handsets, but that would have involved bigger short- and long-term losses than the company was apparently willing to take. It also means that all of the devices that Motorola has released since it was acquired were already in the works, and the same is likely to be true until at least spring of this year. (A good example is the Motorola Motogo! phone, which looks like a dated BlackBerry and doesn’t even run Android.)

    Rumors have already circulated that Google will reveal a Motorola-built “X Phone” and “X Tablet” at its next developer’s conference, which is scheduled for May 15-17, 2013.

    In today’s call, Google CEO Larry Page said that “In today’s multi screen world, the opportunities are endless… battery life is a huge issue… when you drop your phone it shouldn’t go splat. There’s a real potential to invent new and better experiences.” Page also mentioned phone recharging as a pain point for people. This is speculation, but the obvious interpretation of these comments is that Google is working on—or at least thinking about—phones with extra long battery life, some kind of novel (perhaps wireless) recharging capability, and a case that won’t break when the phone is dropped. (Which is possibly a reference to earlier rumors about Google’s X Phone using an extra-hard case that incorporates ceramics.)
    As you can see, there was nothing overtly concrete pointing toward this being the rumored X Phone. Still, his comments do seem to hint at the first Motorola/Google smartphone partnership. What do you guys think? Was he referring to the fabled X Phone?

    Disclaimer: We would like to point out that several of the original sources of this intel used the word "unbreakable" to describe the concept of Mr. Page's phone that "shouldn't go splat." Obviously, the word "unbreakable" is egregiously over-indulgent. Unless every component of the phone were somehow mystically made of diamond, then people would probably find ways to break it. Ultimately, Mr. Page obviously meant they plan to make far more durable and rugged devices in the future. Perhaps the Moto X Phone might fit into this category.

    We apologize for any implied ridiculosity. (How's that for a fun made-up word?)


    Source: Quartz
    Last edited by dgstorm; 01-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    fezrock and wicked like this.
  2. Administrator
    cereal killer's Avatar
    Member #
    88
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    11,046
    Liked
    1562 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    #2
    It's all code for "Be prepared for something truly groundbreaking."
  3. Senior Droid
    Asgard's Avatar
    Member #
    306775
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    106
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    VZW GNex
    #3
    If they advertise it as "unbreakable" I would be really tempted to trow it from the top of my apartment on the third floor, just to see if that is true.
  4. Droid Sensei
    kodiak799's Avatar
    Member #
    39354
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,709
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
    If they advertise it as "unbreakable" I would be really tempted to trow it from the top of my apartment on the third floor, just to see if that is true.
    If they made such an egregious marketing claim hilarity on youtube videos would ensue.
    NeoPhoenixTE and Asgard like this.
  5. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #5
    *cynic / skeptic / bubble-buster alert*

    Just because he said it shouldn't go splat doesn't mean he was implying it was unbreakable. The "reporter" who first coined the term "unbreakable" should be slapped on the hand for reading an awful lot into one phrase and padding another rumor. I fear this hype-beast is going to be worse than the Bionic, so maybe I should end my rants with this one. To see the articles taking those comments and making the jump to a device with "an unbreakable case" seems awfully far-fetched.

    He also said nothing more than what Dennis Woodside said when the M / HD / Maxx HD were introduced - and guess what, those are pretty sturdy with the best battery life out there, and they definitely don't "go splat" when you drop them.

    I'm not saying the X won't be awesome, but let's calm the hype-beast a bit. I know she's hungry for this phone, but she's going to eat a lot of baby food while waiting for some solid sustenance.

    /end cynicism/skepticism/bubble-busting/poor analogy

    Last edited by jntdroid; 01-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Asgard and dgstorm like this.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  6. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #6
    You make a great argument jntdroid. I will update the story to reflect a more clear description.
  7. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    You make a great argument jntdroid. I will update the story to reflect a more clear description.
    I'm sorry man - I didn't want to imply you needed to change anything. I hope it didn't come across as me judging or criticizing what you shared, b/c that wasn't my intention - all you did was share what others were saying and ask for feedback. Whoever started all the hype, however...



    I'm just a curmudgeon when it comes to this kinda stuff anyway, and I let that "vent" come out a bit in that post.

    Interestingly, this is a perfect example of how the media can influence the masses with very subtle nuances in their reporting.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Crankintopwater69's Avatar
    Member #
    175329
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greensboro,NC
    Posts
    1,782
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    #8
    If my X phone ever breaks or doesnt get good batt life,Im sueing you.Apple and I are just waiting for an open door.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  9. Droid Ninja
    Crankintopwater69's Avatar
    Member #
    175329
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greensboro,NC
    Posts
    1,782
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    *cynic / skeptic / bubble-buster alert*

    Just because he said it shouldn't go splat doesn't mean he was implying it was unbreakable. The "reporter" who first coined the term "unbreakable" should be slapped on the hand for reading an awful lot into one phrase and padding another rumor. I fear this hype-beast is going to be worse than the Bionic, so maybe I should end my rants with this one. To see the articles taking those comments and making the jump to a device with "an unbreakable case" seems awfully far-fetched.

    He also said nothing more than what Dennis Woodside said when the M / HD / Maxx HD were introduced - and guess what, those are pretty sturdy with the best battery life out there, and they definitely don't "go splat" when you drop them.

    I'm not saying the X won't be awesome, but let's calm the hype-beast a bit. I know she's hungry for this phone, but she's going to eat a lot of baby food while waiting for some solid sustenance.

    /end cynicism/skepticism/bubble-busting/poor analogy

    Everything I read sounded good,until I got here and I heard my bubble go POP!!!!!
    dgstorm and jntdroid like this.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  10. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,331
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    I'm sorry man - I didn't want to imply you needed to change anything. I hope it didn't come across as me judging or criticizing what you shared, b/c that wasn't my intention - all you did was share what others were saying and ask for feedback. Whoever started all the hype, however...



    I'm just a curmudgeon when it comes to this kinda stuff anyway, and I let that "vent" come out a bit in that post.

    Interestingly, this is a perfect example of how the media can influence the masses with very subtle nuances in their reporting.
    I didn't take it that way at all my brutha! I just happened to agree so wholeheartedly with your points that it inspired me to fix what I wrote. Clarity is my number one priority. Don't feel bad at all. I actually greatly appreciate you calling that one out. I should have (and normally do catch that overly generalized language). Thanks for helping keep me on my toes jntdroid!
    jntdroid likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 09:42 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
  4. Strong Battery Day
    By SSHGuru in forum Motorola Droid Bionic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Search tags for this page

flash
,
google unbreakable phone
,
is moto x unbreakable
,

moto x phone

,

moto x rumors

,
moto x rumours
,
x phone
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+