DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New Marketing Trend Emerging Among Teens; Surface & Galaxy 'Cool' & 'Apple is Done'

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

New Marketing Trend Emerging Among Teens; Surface & Galaxy 'Cool' & 'Apple is Done'

Here's an interesting story from our sister-site @ SurfaceForums.net.

According to Buzz Marketing Group’s Tina Wells, teens have been telling them that the Microsoft Surface is cool and that it is no longer cool to own Apple. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

Popularity is always a double-edged sword with teenagers and according to the sentiment observed by Buzz, Apple is now too popular to be popular. Replacing iPhones and iPads as the object of teens’ desire is Microsoft’s (MSFT) Surface tablet and Galaxy smartphones from Samsung (005930).

“Teens are telling us Apple is done,” Buzz Marketing Group’s Tina Wells told Forbes. “Apple has done a great job of embracing Gen X and older [Millennials], but I don’t think they are connecting with Millennial kids. [They’re] all about Surface tablets/laptops and Galaxy.”

If the firm is indeed onto something, a negative trend in sentiment among teens could have a negative impact on Apple’s business in the short-term, but even more so in the long-term as today’s teens age and enter key buying demographics.
    It might be hard to fathom this; however, teenagers can be a fickle lot, so it wouldn't be too surprising. What do you guys think? Are you seeing this trend amongst people that you know?

Source: SurfaceForums.net via BGR
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I don't know. It is hard to believe.

I'll say this though - makes no sense to me to get locked into Apple's ecosystem between Itunes and the fact that Android has so many more quality free apps. That's the beauty of Apple's model - once you've sunk in a few hundred or more the cost of switching just seems too high.
    fish1552 likes this.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    I don't know. It is hard to believe.

I'll say this though - makes no sense to me to get locked into Apple's ecosystem between Itunes and the fact that Android has so many more quality free apps. That's the beauty of Apple's model - once you've sunk in a few hundred or more the cost of switching just seems too high.
    So true. I didn't buy many apps when I had my iPhones. I'm on Android now and have quite a few paid apps that I don't want to lose if I was to ever switch to something else. At the same time though, I work at a high school and I see so many more Android phones than iPhones now. A year or two ago, that wasn't so. I saw so many new iPhone 4 devices when they were brand new. Now, I see a ton of S3 and Note phones. Ya, at a high school. WTF are these parents thinking!?
    fish1552 and jntdroid like this.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by johnomaz View Post
    So true. I didn't buy many apps when I had my iPhones. I'm on Android now and have quite a few paid apps that I don't want to lose if I was to ever switch to something else. At the same time though, I work at a high school and I see so many more Android phones than iPhones now. A year or two ago, that wasn't so. I saw so many new iPhone 4 devices when they were brand new. Now, I see a ton of S3 and Note phones. Ya, at a high school. WTF are these parents thinking!?
    Great news! Soon the only ones with iPhones will be yuppies!
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    I guess I'll be going back to a blackberry now. Hipsters on android.
    fish1552 likes this.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    i see more and more people going android phones. but still using ipads and such ( i am one of those people)
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    VZW GNex
    It would be depressing if the reason for getting an android device is just because it's "cool" and not because of it's power or usability.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by ntrddragn View Post
    I guess I'll be going back to a blackberry now. Hipsters on android.
    ha that's funny. First thing I did was think of hipsters.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
    It would be depressing if the reason for getting an android device is just because it's "cool" and not because of it's power or usability.
    Apple counted on that very thing.

My kids wanted ipod touches and one wants an iphone...and they know nothing of the devices other than....that's what kids have at school.

Older people who are getting into tech for the first time ask, what are people using, and they hear about i-this and i-that and figure that's the route they will go.

Android has been leveraging for a few years now and I think Samsung has done a great job with their marketing attacking the alleged coolness of Apple (insinuating that Apple people aren't going to have sex....hahaha golden!).
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I'm not surprised. It's a lot easier to stand out with Android then iOS. Serisouly, there is no individuality with Apple. All their stuff is utilitarian.

Teens want to have cool looking stuff that is out of the norm, and you just don't get that with an iPhone.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links