DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pc747

Thread: Samsung Unveils Their 8-Core 'Octa-Chip' Exynos 5 at CES

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Samsung Unveils Their 8-Core 'Octa-Chip' Exynos 5 at CES

So far this year, there have not been any huge or terribly exciting announcements at CES with a few exceptions (like NVIDIA's Tegra 4 and Project Shield). For the most part the products have been a small evolutionary step rather than a massive leap forward, although we are pretty impressed by how much evolution we have seen in the Huawei Ascend D2. However, coming down the pike this morning is a pretty impressive jump that comes directly from Samsung. They just announced their Exynos 5 "Octa-Chip" which is literally an eight-core mobile processor. Here's a quote with what we know so far:

ARM big.LITTLE / Cortex A15 architecture. Designed to be a low powered, high performance mobile processor. Samsung claims that the 3D gaming performance is twice that of anything available at the moment. The demonstration given on stage by Dr Woo showed him searching for restaurants and watching an HD movie while singing the virtues of its fast performance and power sipping abilities. While we don't have full details at the moment, this sounds very much like the \chips that we heard about back in November that is expected to run dual quad-core set ups (1.8GHz A15 for the hard work, 1.2GHz A7 for lighter tasks) all on a 28-nanometer process.
    If you remember, previously we shared some intel regarding this new tech, and we even suggested it was likely to be launched at CES in 2013; however, even though it doesn't come as a surprise, it is still mightily impressive to see the big.LITTLE / Cortex A15 architecture finally come to light officially. We will keep watching this and update you with anymore details as they develop.

Source: Engadget

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Now this is something to get excited about...maybe. Memory cache is also a big deal for horsepower, and so I wonder how these compare to laptop chips. Mainly one beef I have is noticeable lag on mobile devices over the same wifi as compared to a PC. Perhaps it's the website you are contacting taking longer to load a mobile version. I don't know, but clearly the chips are getting WAAAAYYYYYY ahead of the software.
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1675 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Be a nice chipset for a tablet.
    StupidGenius likes this.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Overkill...
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    I wouldn't say its overkill. Sounds like speed coupled with efficiency to me. Besides when have computer geeks ever shouted 'slow those new CPU's down!'
    AC Shade

Yes my avatar is a chicken....WITH A CAMERA ON ITS HEAD!!!!
    Typed from some sort of computing device, but probably from my LG G2 which is fun to say over and over and over again...
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1675 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Re: Samsung Unveils Their 8-Core 'Octa-Chip' Exynos 5 at CES

Samsung 8 core chip may be a sign of oem aiming to make tablets add powerful (if not more powerful) than laptop computers. Stats show people bought more tablets than laptops last year. And if companies like Asus can package dual boot tablets (windows and android) in a smaller convenient size this could be the direction technology goes for 2013. We are not too far off from seeing powerful gaming tablets as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note Duece

samsung.. I applaud you

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    NOTE DUECE

Killed = Bionic
    Phone graveyard = D1
    Resting = Dx
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    Samsung 8 core chip may be a sign of oem aiming to make tablets add powerful (if not more powerful) than laptop computers. Stats show people bought more tablets than laptops last year. And if companies like Asus can package dual boot tablets (windows and android) in a smaller convenient size this could be the direction technology goes for 2013. We are not too far off from seeing powerful gaming tablets as well.

Don't get ahead of yourself, these mobile chips are a LONG way from matching x64 performance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by diablo81588 View Post
    Don't get ahead of yourself, these mobile chips are a LONG way from matching x64 performance.
    That's my question. I get excited when I hear "8 core, 2ghz" but how does that really compare to the PC chips?
  11. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1675 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by diablo81588 View Post

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I think it is a matter of time. We are seeing more chip manufacturers throw their hat in the ring. Do I think we will see a tablet match the power of like an alienware...no not yet but as more demand shift toward tablets you will see a company (or companies) attempt to bring a power close to that to the tablet game.

Links