DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: [Rumor] Supposedly, Only 375,000 Nexus 4 Phones Have Sold So Far

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

[Rumor] Supposedly, Only 375,000 Nexus 4 Phones Have Sold So Far

Here's a report that is worth mentioning but should also be taken with a grain of salt. Supposedly, some devs over at XDA figured out the serial number patterns for the LG-made Google Nexus 4 phones, and through extrapolation have determined that only 375,000 of the devices have sold since their debut late last year. Of course, it's no secret that the phone keeps selling out in the Google Play Store, and is currently in that status as of now. Obviously, this is probably due to both high demand and a tight constraint on supply from Google. It could also be difficulty within LG to build enough of the phones and still keep back enough parts for their own Optimus G flagship. More than likely, all of these reasons are true to varying degrees.

Regardless, according to the analysis by XDA members after figuring out the Nexus 4 numbering scheme, it looks like less than half a million of the devices have been sold, (around 375,000 to be more precise). Here's a quote with some of the details,

Interestingly, the Nexus 4 serial code starts with three numbers and a letter, for example 212K. The first number denotes the year, 2012, the second and third are for the month, December or the 12th month, and the last K is for Korea, the country where itís manufactured.

Further diving into the system and comparing various serial numbers, users have managed to figure out not just vague approximations, but very real numbers.

In October, for instance, there were only 70,000 Nexus 4 devices produced, then 90,000 in November, and 210,000 in December. Subsequently, it was discovered that phones are quickly being made after being ordered, with one phone made for three days and taking a week to ship from Korea to the United States. Overall, with a slight allowance, the total number comes at around 375,000 Nexus 4 units produced.

This definitely does not mean actual sales, since there is stock at carrier and retailers, but it looks like a very precise approximation.
    It seems like the devs that performed this analysis have done a good job figuring out the particulars; however, we can't help but wonder if something is missing out of this puzzle, which would call their figures into question. Perhaps there are different manufacturing variants that would throw off these figures. Also, how could they be assured that they have figured out the last one in the line? Of course, it's possible they are dead-on with their calculations. If they are, do you think these numbers are disappointing, or right in line with your expectations?

Source: PhoneArena
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    is this nexus 4 serial they are using the same serial # located in about phone?? because im not seeing anything that matches up with the numbers used as an example, 212k. my serial starts with 0044E
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    May not be surprising. I always thought the Nexus devices were more about leading by example than Google setting out to rack up sales records.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Giving LG the rights to make this phone was a bone-head move on Google's part. No way Samsung would have botched this up this badly. I guarantee LG does not get a sequel due to this debacle.
    mountainbikermark likes this.
  5. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1045 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Well those numbers are quite underwhelming...
  6. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    I wonder if maybe this number only equates to one particular region of the world instead of total global sales. If, for example, this figure were for Canada or even the US, this number would make more sense. From what we can tell it looks like the phone has been very popular outside the US. It would be interesting to see the actual global sales figures from Google, although I doubt that is likely to happen until we are able to drink hot chocolate on Pluto.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post
    I wonder if maybe this number only equates to one particular region of the world instead of total global sales. If, for example, this figure were for Canada or even the US, this number would make more sense. From what we can tell it looks like the phone has been very popular outside the US. It would be interesting to see the actual global sales figures from Google, although I doubt that is likely to happen until we are able to drink hot chocolate on Pluto.
    It better be one particular region,got me waiting 3 blanked blank blank mths for this Awesome device and all you sold was 375,000.Dont make me go TWAN!!! up in dis piece.
    dgstorm likes this.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung CHARGE
    maybe if this device was available on all carriers?
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1698 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    There are only so many customers to go around. With the s3 being a hot device, the nexus being available for unlocked phones and T mobile only, and other big devices like the note 2, razr (maxx)hd, droid dna I am not surprised the nexus 4 at the numbers. Plus it does not help that they can not keep them in stock.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    lack of lte radio killed the deal. why would i want a 3g phone in 4g world?
    pc747 likes this.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links