DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How Big is Too Big? Huawei Working on a 6.1-Inch Phone

  1. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,314
    Liked
    2037 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #1

    How Big is Too Big? Huawei Working on a 6.1-Inch Phone


    Okay, so we were very skeptical of larger phones when they first started appearing. Obviously, it turns out that a ton of folks out there in Android-land (millions in fact) really like the phablet style devices. We have to admit after playing with the Galaxy Note II and the HTC Droid DNA, we finally understand the allure. In fact, amongst your staff here in the forums, there are several converts that are jumping on the phablet bandwagon. However, having admitted all of that, we must share that this latest news has us completely flabbergasted. Supposedly, Huawei is working on a truly “giant” device. They used the word giant to describe it, but we would call it gigantic. Supposedly this new device will be huge to the tune of 6.1-Inches for the display!

    The device will be called the Ascend Mate, and it seems like a fitting name, because you might just be able to "ascend" to heaven by standing on top of this monstrosity. The rest of the specs seem to be in-line with the other phablet devices spreading across the land. Here's what was revealed:
    • 6.1-inch 1080p Full HD display
    • 1.8GHz quad-core processor
    • 2GB of RAM
    • 4,000 mAh battery
    • Android Jelly Bean

    As you can see, the display isn't the only thing that will be huge about this phablet. The battery is enormous as well. While this is something we always like to see, we can't help but scratch our heads as to who thinks there will be a market for a device like this. Basically, it's just a slightly shrunken Android tablet that can be used to make calls. Can you imagine walking down the street with this up to your ear? It seems reminiscent of the 1980's when break-dancers would carry extra large "boom-boxes" on their shoulders.

    I thought miniaturization was the trending thing to do with technology... So, how big is too big?

    Source: AndroidAuthority
    Javaknight, CJM and FoxKat like this.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Super Moderator
    macpro88's Avatar
    Member #
    168721
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,400
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    #2

    Re: How Big is Too Big? Huawei Working on a 6.1-Inch Phone

    It better be all screen. No bezels or nothing.

    Good lord that's a huge screen on a phone.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    FoxKat likes this.
  4. Developer Relations
    CJM's Avatar
    Member #
    117189
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Posts
    8,986
    Liked
    1035 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Premium Member
    #3
    I think they'll keep inching their way up in size until people quit showing interest.
    Narsil likes this.
  5. Droid Ninja
    liftedplane's Avatar
    Member #
    161162
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,109
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by macpro88 View Post
    It better be all screen. No bezels or nothing.

    Good lord that's a huge screen on a phone.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    a 6.1 all screen phone wouldn't be huge, that would be the perfect size. if it has any bezel... then WTF
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  6. Administrator
    smalltowngirl13's Avatar
    Member #
    25668
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6,377
    Liked
    676 times
    Twitter
    @smalltownlife13
    Phone
    Note2, Maxx HD, S3, Nexus
    Premium Member
    #5
    It is good to see the battery size going up with the screen size...
    **Be yourself - Everyone else is already taken**

  7. Droid Ninja
    Crankintopwater69's Avatar
    Member #
    175329
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Greensboro,NC
    Posts
    1,782
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post

    Okay, so we were very skeptical of larger phones when they first started appearing. Obviously, it turns out that a ton of folks out there in Android-land (millions in fact) really like the phablet style devices. We have to admit after playing with the Galaxy Note II and the HTC Droid DNA, we finally understand the allure. In fact, amongst your staff here in the forums, there are several converts that are jumping on the phablet bandwagon. However, having admitted all of that, we must share that this latest news has us completely flabbergasted. Supposedly, Huawei is working on a truly “giant” device. They used the word giant to describe it, but we would call it gigantic. Supposedly this new device will be huge to the tune of 6.1-Inches for the display!

    The device will be called the Ascend Mate, and it seems like a fitting name, because you might just be able to "ascend" to heaven by standing on top of this monstrosity. The rest of the specs seem to be in-line with the other phablet devices spreading across the land. Here's what was revealed:
    • 6.1-inch 1080p Full HD display
    • 1.8GHz quad-core processor
    • 2GB of RAM
    • 4,000 mAh battery
    • Android Jelly Bean

    As you can see, the display isn't the only thing that will be huge about this phablet. The battery is enormous as well. While this is something we always like to see, we can't help but scratch our heads as to who thinks there will be a market for a device like this. Basically, it's just a slightly shrunken Android tablet that can be used to make calls. Can you imagine walking down the street with this up to your ear? It seems reminiscent of the 1980's when break-dancers would carry extra large "boom-boxes" on their shoulders.

    I thought miniaturization was the trending thing to do with technology... So, how big is too big?

    Source: AndroidAuthority
    Can I get some Key Lime Pie?
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  8. Droid Ninja
    drew96dawg's Avatar
    Member #
    258491
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mobile Al
    Posts
    1,113
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    #7

    Re: How Big is Too Big? Huawei Working on a 6.1-Inch Phone

    The note 2 is perfection. It is as big as I want because I can still easily use it a one handed.

    sent from my vzw galaxy note 2
  9. Master Droid
    Dusty's Avatar
    Member #
    27087
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    DC/NoVA
    Posts
    714
    Liked
    174 times
    Phone
    Moto X / 4.4
    #8
    I can see it now...

    Dude sits down on train.
    Pulls out 6.1" phone and enables WiFi tether.
    Puts phone away.
    Pulls out 7" tablet and starts surfing the internet.
  10. Super Moderator
    macpro88's Avatar
    Member #
    168721
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,400
    Liked
    203 times
    Twitter
    macpro88
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I can see it now...

    Dude sits down on train.
    Pulls out 6.1" phone and enables WiFi tether.
    Puts phone away.
    Pulls out 7" tablet and starts surfing the internet.
    buahahahah, this would totaly happen lmao that's awesome haha
  11. Droid Ninja
    drew96dawg's Avatar
    Member #
    258491
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mobile Al
    Posts
    1,113
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    #10

    Re: How Big is Too Big? Huawei Working on a 6.1-Inch Phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I can see it now...

    Dude sits down on train.
    Pulls out 6.1" phone and enables WiFi tether.
    Puts phone away.
    Pulls out 7" tablet and starts surfing the internet.
    When I got my n2 all needs/desires for a tablet disappeared. If the nexus 7 had a cell antenna I would gladly use one of those as a phone

    sent from my vzw galaxy note 2
    justin82 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 09:14 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM
  4. [RUMOR] Google to Sell Motorola Mobility to Huawei?
    By cereal killer in forum Android News
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Search tags for this page

6.1 inches phone
,

cell phone big

,
gigantic cellphone
,

how big is too big

,
how big is too big for a cell phone
,

huawei 6.1 inch phone

,

huge cell phone

,
large huawei phone
,
phone too big
,

phones that are too big

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+