DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: US DOE Investing $120 Million Research for Batteries lasting 5x longer & 5x Cheaper

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

US DOE Investing $120 Million Research for Batteries lasting 5x longer & 5x Cheaper

It appears that the folks at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) have heard our cries of anguish over the state of weak smart-device batteries. We have word that the DOE is about to invest $120 Million dollars over the next 5 years to push research into improving batteries dramatically. Their goal is to develop batteries that last 5x longer and are also 5x cheaper to produce. They expect their research to bear fruit within that five year time frame, and to accomplish this they are planning to develop a collaborative team made up of some of the best researchers at six national labs, five universities, and four private firms. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

To accomplish this, U.S. Energy Secretary Stephen Chu is taking some lesson from U.S. history.

The DOE is creating a new Joint Center for Energy Storage Research, at a cost of $120 million over five years, that's intended to reproduce development environments that were successfully used by Bell Laboratories in the World War II Manhattan Project that produced an atomic bomb.

"When you had to deliver the goods very, very quickly, you needed to put the best scientists next to the best engineers across disciplines to get very focused," said Chu at a press conference Friday that was streamed live from Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois. The center will be located there.

The Battery and Energy Storage Hub project will involve six national labs, five universities -- Northwestern University, University of Chicago, University of Illinois-Chicago, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, and University of Michigan -- and four private firms, Dow Chemical, Applied Materials, Johnson Controls, and Clean Energy Trust.

While physical proximity will have a role in the research, Chu said electronic communications and video conferencing will help achieve similar results.

The intent is to organize research in a way that can "change the rate in which something is actually done," said Chu. The key is moving technology innovations from the lab to the private sector as quickly as possible, he said.
    It's great news to hear that the DOE is getting serious about pushing this kind of technology to the forefront. Sound off!

Source: ComputerWorld
    wicked likes this.

3. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note Duece

US DOE Investing $120 Million Research for Batteries lasting 5x longer & 5x Cheaper

we dont need batteries that last a week 5 years from now... can I get 24 hour use with 7 hours screen on time now? lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    dgstorm likes this.
    NOTE DUECE

Killed = Bionic
    Phone graveyard = D1
    Resting = Dx
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    This would be nice. Especially with more phone manufactures going non removable.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Wonderful. I love when the federal government spends money they don't have on ventures better left to private industry. Then claim they need to raise my taxes because of their spending.

I'd love to see where in the constitution the framers intended for this kind of thing.

Sorry for the political nature of this rant but that $120 million will be wasted. Government grants are known to be bloated because of the amount of money spent over 60% of it goes to the grantees trying to renew the funding or prove that funding is necessary.
    jpiarull, LoudRam, Narsil and 1 others like this.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  6. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note Duece

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher View Post
    Wonderful. I love when the federal government spends money they don't have on ventures better left to private industry. Then claim they need to raise my taxes because of their spending.

I'd love to see where in the constitution the framers intended for this kind of thing.

Sorry for the political nature of this rant but that $120 million will be wasted. Government grants are known to be bloated because of the amount of money spent over 60% of it goes to the grantees trying to renew the funding or prove that funding is necessary.
    true. companies that already profit from this are working on it.. samsung and Motorola being the main ones

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Narsil likes this.
    NOTE DUECE

Killed = Bionic
    Phone graveyard = D1
    Resting = Dx
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8, Glass XE 2.0
    And once we borrow these millions to develope the batteries, China will reverse-engineer them in less than a week and sell them back to us (with free lead included) cheaper than we can make them ourselves.
    Narsil, akhenax and jpiarull like this.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradling7 View Post
    And once we borrow these millions to develope the batteries, China will reverse-engineer them in less than a week and sell them back to us (with free lead included) cheaper than we can make them ourselves.
    America needs to start producing something again, that's for sure. I wonder if this research will be used for car batteries as well.
    jpiarull likes this.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    America needs to start producing something again, that's for sure. I wonder if this research will be used for car batteries as well.
    that would make these hybrid cars more feasible. instead of going 300 miles on one charge we could go 1500... that would cut into someones profit so that's not going to happen.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Here in Oregon, USA we gave millions to a foreign company to in Europe to develop said batttery technology. They took the money. Filed bankruptcy right after. Not a single employee here, not a plant, not a paper, not an idea. Just gave them the money and we got screwed. Thanks Ron Wyden and David Wu. This is how the government works. You will never see a single item from the $120 million. Its a payback for some campaigning just like Aids money to Africa is payback to warlords. George Bush gave more money for aids research then all other presidents before him combined and nothing every came of it just ended up in government coffers and Swiss accounts. Leave it to private sector.
    Narsil and jspradling7 like this.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Problem with electric cars. How do people think these things get charged. POWER PLANT. How does the plant run. OIL OR COAL. Both items that the same environmentalist try to ban. You can't get enough energy to run these things from solar or wind.. Try to recharge your battery on an Ipod with the solar chargers currently. Takes forever. Hydro power is being destroyed in the NW by the greenies because water power is not Clean And Green? Huh. We will be having to read our books in the dark.
    jspradling7 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links