DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Google Play Store Reviews Now Require Your Google Plus Account

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2054 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Google Play Store Reviews Now Require Your Google Plus Account

In an effort to curb the rampant "trolling" present in the Google Play Store's review system, Google rolled out a new "feature/requirement." In order to post a review of a product or app on the Google Play Store, you must now sign in through your Google Plus Account and it will be made visible for everyone to see. This idea is intended to help insure that reviews actually have some reasoning and substance instead of baseless hate-spam.

This concept obviously won't completely curtail random acts of spam, but at least now you can check out the source of a review and perhaps determine if that particular reviewer can be ignored or not. What do you guys think of this "solution?"

Source: AndroidAuthority

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I understand the rationale, but I would prefer to remain anonymous when I give a review. If it is not possible to review an item, and keep my Google Plus "real name" secret, then you will not see another review from me.

Consequently, I reviewed an Auto service center, and did not give it positive reviews. Before, I would review a place, and my user name would appear as the reviewer not my "real name", however recently Google changed that policy, and is using the Google plus name instead. Now since my review was not a positive one, I fear of going back there. The review was to help them make their service better, but now I think they will single me out and potentially do worse to my car.

I think they should give us the option of using our username, rather than our Google Plus "real name".
    Last edited by akhenax; 11-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    love it!!!!!!

thanks for the find dgstorm
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Agree with Aghenax.
    No more reviews from me.
    Is it REALLY to discourage Spam reviews, or is it REALLY being used to get people to sign up for Google+? I think we know.

Don't treat me like an idiot, Google. I can sift through reviews myself and can tell the stupid ones from the real ones.
  6. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2054 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PereDroid View Post
    Agree with Aghenax.
    No more reviews from me.
    Is it REALLY to discourage Spam reviews, or is it REALLY being used to get people to sign up for Google+? I think we know.

Don't treat me like an idiot, Google. I can sift through reviews myself and can tell the stupid ones from the real ones.
    That's a very good point. I hadn't considered that. Crafty of Google.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Um, I don't have a Google+ account. I disabled mine. When I go to it, it asks me to create all the info. Guess no more reviews from me.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet) ;-)
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Then when we receive in app requests for play store ratings, we need to email the developers and complain to them about using our real names per Google. If they don't get the reviews, their apps don't sell. Google will here it from them. Also, fyi, Google now has the same requirement for posting videos to your YouTube channel. My friend just told me about it. You are required to show your real name on your posts. Google may be going to far with this. Most people enjoy their privacy online and Google is taking that away.
    kinfolk248 likes this.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post

dgstorm, why are you teasing us with the Android Market logo????
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post

In an effort to curb the rampant "trolling" present in the Google Play Store's review system, Google rolled out a new "feature/requirement." In order to post a review of a product or app on the Google Play Store, you must now sign in through your Google Plus Account and it will be made visible for everyone to see. This idea is intended to help insure that reviews actually have some reasoning and substance instead of baseless hate-spam.

This concept obviously won't completely curtail random acts of spam, but at least now you can check out the source of a review and perhaps determine if that particular reviewer can be ignored or not. What do you guys think of this "solution?"

Source: AndroidAuthority
    Grrr I dont want a Google plus Account!! I think this is a cheap way of getting us to sign up for it. LAME!!
    Narsil likes this.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    D4
    I noticed this awhile ago with Places.

I absolutely hate it. Since it also posts the review (or any photos you post in Places) to your public stream*. I hated Facebook for making certain information public, and I'm hating G+ for it now, too. The good thing about circles was that you were able to actually control what different groups of people see; not anymore!

*That's the impression I got anyway. I suppose I could be wrong, since I decided not to post a photo to a local landmark when I read the little prompt.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links