DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HTC Droid DNA IS Locked Down Tight At Release!

1. DF News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    589 times
    Twitter
    @DroidModderX
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus!!!!
    Premium Member

HTC Droid DNA IS Locked Down Tight At Release!

Lots of folks have been receiving their Pre-Ordered Droid DNA's in the mail today. Of course like the good Modders that they are they plugged that bad boy directly into the PC and headed to the HTC Dev site in hopes of Unlocking the bootloader on there shiny new device. Come to find out as expected Verizon has blocked the ability to use HTC Dev to unlock the bootloader of the Droid DNA. Really this comes as no surprise even though there have been reports of pre-release phones being unlocked using the tool it was assumed that Big Red would have the device fully locked by release day.

All that being said this is not the end of development for this device. In fact the device has never had S-Off and that was already being worked on. Developers like DSB have said that S-OFF will likely still come to this device, with a fully permanent root method as well. Other developers like Hashcode have said that other solutions like 2nd init could be implemented on this device to bypass the bootloader altogether.

Has this affected your decision to purchase this Beast phone?
    My Phone: Galaxy Note 3 .. My Backup Device: Galaxy S4, My Backup Backup Device: Motorola Razr HD Dev Edition, My wife has taken over the old trusty Moto X

Follow Me On Twitter @DroidModderX
    for all the latest DROID News!

DroidForums News Team. If you have a Mod or Rom or Theme or App or Game or Anything Root Related PM me!
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidModderX View Post

Lots of folks have been receiving their Pre-Ordered Droid DNA's in the mail today. Of course like the good Modders that they are they plugged that bad boy directly into the PC and headed to the HTC Dev site in hopes of Unlocking the bootloader on there shiny new device. Come to find out as expected Verizon has blocked the ability to use HTC Dev to unlock the bootloader of the Droid DNA. Really this comes as no surprise even though there have been reports of pre-release phones being unlocked using the tool it was assumed that Big Red would have the device fully locked by release day.

All that being said this is not the end of development for this device. In fact the device has never had S-Off and that was already being worked on. Developers like DSB have said that S-OFF will likely still come to this device, with a fully permanent root method as well. Other developers like Hashcode have said that other solutions like 2nd init could be implemented on this device to bypass the bootloader altogether.

Has this affected your decision to purchase this Beast phone?

Wow...HTC will not get a set of ballz and tell VZW to go ESAD. Yes I will definately NOT be purchasing this phone now....Nice move HTC!!!...FAIL
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    OG--ThunderBolt--Galaxy Nexus
    Sometimes I just want to walk into verizon throw my phone at them and flick them off! and walk out...

maybe when my contract expires
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    Effects my immediate purchase. I was thinking of picking one up during the weekend, but now I'll wait until I see where the development is going. Definitely don't want to get stuck with a locked down phone, especially when coming from a GN.

HTC phones usually have amazing development support, so hopefully this doesn't effect us too much.
    One thing 127 Hours has taught me; Never forget the Swiss Army Knife, leave the "Cheap Made in China multi-tool" home.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    And the reason's to hate vzw keep piling up!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    I'm getting the Note 2 when it comes to Verizon so I'll be getting that bootlocked device rather than this one.

‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD, MIUI TBolt
    No, this does not and would never stop me from purchasing this device. The one thing that keeps me from returning my maxx hd and getting this is the battery HTC decided to go with... disappointing.
    black on black hoody with the black mask
    white on white whips and the rims match
    whole world black and white and im color blind
    all i see is green and dem money signs
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    To be honest, you really don't need S-Off, so as long as they can unlock the Bootloader, you can do pretty much whatever you want with the phone. Install custom Recovery, ROM's, mods and kernels... Don't need S-Off for any of that, just the bootloader...
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    As long as I have access to root I'm happy for a while, but I really wanted to be able to swap in SIM's to access GSM when needed.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    The only way Verizon is going to ever remotely care or think about changing their stance is if they lose customers. If you stick with Verizon despite your dislike of these practices, nothing will change.

My company switched me over to AT&T and despite my initial misgivings, it's been more than fine - in fact, the LTE speeds are much greater, probably because their network isn't nearly as loaded as VZ.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links