DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: [Rumor] Google and Dish Already Developing Wireless Service Plans for 2013

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    You'll notice it when you run out of your 2Gigs of monthly data and they bend you over the counter for making phone calls. This is why they ditched the unlimited data plans. It will eventually get back to unlimited data but not until people are fed up enough with overage charges that they go elsewhere.
    It's possible they would still sell plans with minutes and texts like they do now, and not have voice/sms count against your data cap.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Droid BIONIC

Re: [Rumor] Google and Dish Already Developing Wireless Service Plans for 2013

Droid BIONIC
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    It's possible they would still sell plans with minutes and texts like they do now, and not have voice/sms count against your data cap.
    I agree; it is possible. Does this possibility, however, sound like something consistent with Verizon's business plans of late?

Javaknight likes this.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I'm not sure if they could distinguish between data for voice and data for VoLTE. Theoretically, yes, but why make the iinvestment to do it?

Also, you'd have to look at how much data it actually uses. My plan (which I'm sure many have) is 450 minutes a month. VZW to VZW is free, so I probably hit something like 700 minutes or so. Let's just call it 12 hours. One of the more inefficient codecs would use about 1 meg a minute. So we are talking 700megs a month or so for your current voice plan.

That's a nice chunk, especially on 2gigs, but remember the average user is somewhere less than 1gig. Even then, VZW could simply bump everyone 1gig and that pretty much covers what you were using on the calling plans. Resulting overages from calls would have, in the past, resulted in overages on minutes. But obviously it's a different story for people on an unlimited voice plan using 2500 minutes a month or something.

More than likely, they'll roll out new tiers and an allowance for VoIP is something you'll have to factor in.

For all the whining about how VZW keep sticking the existing customer, the only actual real price increase we've seen is eliminating the phone subsidy if you want to keep your existing plan.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links