DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AT&T Refuses to Share How it Calculates Capped Bandwidth Usage

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Couldn't AT&T be dinging you for "idle" capacity? In other words, you don't get data transfers at constant rates. If your throughput drops from 10mbps to 6mbps, for a few seconds, can something else really slip in there or, in fact, iss what you're using or sold really a constant 10mbps from AT&T's perspective?

In other words, your modem measuring 70-80% of what AT&T does is really indicative of how efficiently you're using your bandwidth. So you reserved a peak of 10mbps when you began the download, but you actually only averaged 7-8mbps. But from AT&T's perspective you demanded 10mbps and what is "reserved" is what is used - you don't get a credit for unused bandwidth due to inefficiency of your download.

Just a thought. I'm sure that's mostly all wrong.
    Devices measure it in bytes sent/received, it doesn't "guess" your usage by assuming you are downloading at a certain speed.

My guess is that AT&T just rounds up. Say you download 2.59GB one day, they may round that up to 3GB at the end of the day.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    Devices measure it in bytes sent/received, it doesn't "guess" your usage by assuming you are downloading at a certain speed.

My guess is that AT&T just rounds up. Say you download 2.59GB one day, they may round that up to 3GB at the end of the day.
    Actually since data uploads and downloads comes in bursts/packets, I would think that the rounding up happens at much smaller increments (i.e. you click on a hyperlink in a web page, it downloads the new web page and the size of that new web page downloaded is rounded up and counts as one "session"). If they are rounding up to the nearest MB, you could get screwed if you are just downloading 15 kb and they "charge" you 1 MB.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links