DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: NVIDIA CEO Says that Good Tablets are Better than Cheap PCs

  1. Editor in Chief
    dgstorm's Avatar
    Member #
    154790
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,310
    Liked
    2027 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    #1

    NVIDIA CEO Says that Good Tablets are Better than Cheap PCs


    Recently, NVIDIA CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, made the statement that a good tablet is better than a cheap PC. He was speaking during a recent earnings call and addressing questions regarding the direction of NVIDIA. Of course, with the world PC sales stagnating, NVIDIA was wise to push head-long into the mobile landscape, and apparently they are doing quite well because of it. He made the statement when specifically asked about the Nexus 7 and the new Microsoft Surface RT tablets. Here's a quote,

    Questioned about the two Tegra 3-powered devices, Huang showed confidence in the potential of tablets, saying that the Surface represents a “new breed of tablets meant to get for getting work done”. He went on to claim that “[tablets are] getting more and more powerful, and they’re much better than a cheap PC.”
    So, what do you guys think? Is a good tablet now a better investment than a cheap PC? How much more can the average user do on a PC than they could do on a tablet?

    Source: AndroidAuthority
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Ninja
    johnomaz's Avatar
    Member #
    87119
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Valley, California
    Posts
    2,252
    Liked
    394 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    #2
    For anything other than productivity, sure. You can play some pretty fun games on tablets with tegra 3 chips that also look pretty good. A cheap $300-400 PC isn't going to play games very well. Web browsing is almost the same. But if you have a paper to write for class, I don't think its the same. Surface is the closest thing to being a decent productivity platform but still, I don't see it happening any time soon. Its getting there, but still a long ways off.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  4. Junior Droid
    UncleVanya's Avatar
    Member #
    307512
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    9
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    #3

    Re: NVIDIA CEO Says that Good Tablets are Better than Cheap PCs

    Where do you see tablets are weakest in terms of productivity? Is it the lack of a keyboard, lack of reasonably powerful word processing software, the screen size, interaction model (touch vs mouse), or something else?

    Sent via Tapatalk...
  5. Droid Ninja
    akhenax's Avatar
    Member #
    87512
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,026
    Liked
    177 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #4
    Maybe...

    Can the cheap PC play HD video? I have a Lenovo S10-2 that I bought to primarily write reports on. When I tried to watch videos on Youtube, I couldn't watch anything over 480p and even 480p full screen suffered. Netflix also doesn't fair well. I can't play games on it either, unless they are written in html 5.

    However, I can play Netflix just fine on my Tegra 2 device, play HD games on it, and export it to a TV... but I can't write reports on it.

    I think an Android tablet that can display different content at once, keep it in memory, and has a keyboard and mouse would be a winner. For now though, you need both.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

    Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  6. Master Droid
    Redsnk95's Avatar
    Member #
    284855
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    519
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chapman_troy
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    #5
    If I was in college now I would be carrying around my Xoom tab, and keep a BT keyboard and mouse for writing papers. I would probably just use Google Docs/Drive or a thumbdrive/OTG cable. Unless I plunked the money down for an Ultrabook the tab would have been great for me in college. I would even consider a Windows tablet but more than likely would want an Android powered device for gaming between classes!
    Motorola Razr Maxx phone & Xoom tablet
    *filled with JellyBean goodies*
  7. Droid Sensei
    jroc's Avatar
    Member #
    56815
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    3,855
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    #6
    Depends on what he defines as cheap.

    I can have a custom built PC that is amazing vs one that might cost about $500 more if I pick n choose parts good. If he means older PC's or low end ones....I still wouldnt say a good tablet is better. The browsing experience will always be better on a PC. A PC is also more functional that a tablet.
    Last edited by jroc; 11-09-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

    MLK, Jr.
  8. Beta Team
    BenLand150's Avatar
    Member #
    142934
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,770
    Liked
    193 times
    Twitter
    BlackBlizzNerd
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2/Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Depends on what he defines as cheap.

    I can have a custom built PC that is amazing vs one that might cost about $500 more if I pick n choose parts good. If he means older PC's or low end ones....I still wouldnt say a good tablet is better. The browsing experience will always be better on a PC. A PC is also more functional that a tablet.
    For web browsing I'd have to disagree. A top notch tablet (iPad 3/4, Nexus 10, and Asus Infinity) are going to browse the web great. Better than a cheap PC too, especially if more tablets get real keyboard docks.

    The Microsoft Surface is a tablet that can work as a PC. Web browsing is fantastic on it due Windows 8 RT and brings in real multitasking. Also, both keyboards you can get for it work great and you can actually type just as fast on that as you can your Laptop. Therefore, it's almost perfect for college students as you can use Word, Powerpoint, and other things like that on it.

    A Surface RT can do everything you really need if you don't need the big 3rd party apps that the Surface Pro will be able to have (things like Photoshop, etc), so if you don't need those, you're fine.

    However, if you really do need to write papers and don't want the Surface RT, get a real laptop. It's definitely better than typing on a screen, usually a good bit faster and brings things up on the web the way they're meant to be, and is even better than something with a good keyboard dock like the Asus Transformer Infinity.
    II New Signature Finally! Made by Me II II Rooted Galaxy Nexus II
    II - AOKP AXIOM MORPHR - II
    II Want a signature like mine? Ask on Twtter! II

    II Link to my work: http://tinypic.com/BenLand150 II
  9. Droid Sensei
    jroc's Avatar
    Member #
    56815
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    3,855
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLand150 View Post
    For web browsing I'd have to disagree. A top notch tablet (iPad 3/4, Nexus 10, and Asus Infinity) are going to browse the web great. Better than a cheap PC too, especially if more tablets get real keyboard docks.

    The Microsoft Surface is a tablet that can work as a PC. Web browsing is fantastic on it due Windows 8 RT and brings in real multitasking. Also, both keyboards you can get for it work great and you can actually type just as fast on that as you can your Laptop. Therefore, it's almost perfect for college students as you can use Word, Powerpoint, and other things like that on it.

    A Surface RT can do everything you really need if you don't need the big 3rd party apps that the Surface Pro will be able to have (things like Photoshop, etc), so if you don't need those, you're fine.

    However, if you really do need to write papers and don't want the Surface RT, get a real laptop. It's definitely better than typing on a screen, usually a good bit faster and brings things up on the web the way they're meant to be, and is even better than something with a good keyboard dock like the Asus Transformer Infinity.
    Mobile vs desktop versions of websites. The desktop version is alot more functional, stable on a PC. Some sites....just typing in forums, comments sections.....the cursor acts possessed on some desktop versions on these mobile devices. Flash is getting pushed out the door on Android, isnt there on iOS. Its still used by lots of sites. Flash is more stable, functional on a PC than a mobile device.

    Surface, I might agree for that tablet since its running the full desktop OS.
    Last edited by jroc; 11-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

    MLK, Jr.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Dave12308's Avatar
    Member #
    4889
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,274
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #9
    Probably true, but a "good tablet" can get to the point where it's significantly more expensive than a "cheap PC". Especially once you've added all the accessories to make it more "PC like" to begin with.
  11. Senior Droid
    LocoRon's Avatar
    Member #
    158083
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    140
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    D4
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsnk95 View Post
    If I was in college now I would be carrying around my Xoom tab, and keep a BT keyboard and mouse for writing papers. I would probably just use Google Docs/Drive or a thumbdrive/OTG cable.
    I'm in college now... and I am doing exactly that. ...Sort of. Earlier this year, I used my Xoom and BT keyboard (but no mouse) in my Java class (thanks Terminal IDE!).

    In September, I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, hoping to have an even better note-taking experience. Unfortunately, 2/3 of my teachers this term are anti-technology, and don't allow any electronic devices in their classes. -_- (I still have to restrain myself from ranting about this....)

    Tablets are so much more portable than laptops, and should have good enough battery life that you shouldn't need to worry about finding an outlet in class, that I think it's worth it. Some tablet software can be pretty finicky though. (I had some really horrible experiences with the Android word processors the year before last.)

    Is a good tablet better than a cheap PC? ...Well, how cheap are we talking here? Because at the same price point (say, $500), there is absolutely no question; the PC wins. Well, aside from the fact that it'll be stuck at home while you're out-and-about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 06:43 PM
  4. Nvidia CEO: Why Android tablets aren't selling
    By wicked in forum Android News
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 01:05 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM

Search tags for this page

about the tablet s nvidia tegra 2

,

google now ics

,

pc tablets cheapest washington

,

terminal-ide galaxy note 10.1

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+