DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sony's Credit Rating Now Downgraded by Moody's to One Step Above Junk

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Sony's Credit Rating Now Downgraded by Moody's to One Step Above Junk

Oh how the mighty fall sometimes. Sony was once one of the most untouchable, powerful and profitable companies on the planet. Now, they are struggling to survive. Moody's, the credit rating agency, just announced they are downgrading Sony's credit rating to "one step above junk." They also added,

“Without robust restructuring in the coming 12-18 months, Sony’s non-financial services businesses will at best achieve roughly break even, and are also at risk of remaining unprofitable.”
    To put it in perspective how bad things are for Sony, just this year they had to combine forces with their competitors, Toshiba and Hitachi just to be able to create competitive LCD TV products. They have been getting hammered by better technology from Samsung and LG. Sony TVs were once the "de facto standard" for reference designs, yet now Sony's R&D is so behind they have to form alliances with their rivals. Do any of you guys remember the old CRT Sony Trinitron TVs? I remember having one that was over twenty years old and it still had a perfect picture.

Sony's fairly new (seven months in the position) CEO, Kazuo Hirai, is now focusing the company's resources on digital imaging, gaming, and mobile. Will he be able to turn the company around? Only time will tell.

Source: AndroidAuthority

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    Sony makes decent electronics but the user interface has suffered dramatically since the late 90's when they began trying to protect their entertainment copyrights through their devices.

Anyone remember the amazingly awesome minidisk mp3 player? You had to "check out" your music from your PC's "library" onto the minidisks and couldn't play them on your computer 'til you checked them back in. Fantastic hardware. Absolutely sucktastic implementation...
    jspradling7 and Dusty like this.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    I still have a Sony 19 inch CRT TV in my garage. I bought it in 1980. Working great to this day.

Oh how the mighty have fallen!
    Sony, Intel, Microsoft and Cisco were the Titans of the 90's.
    Look at them now.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    why yes i do remember the Sony Trinitron TVs, mainly b/c there is a 36" one sitting in my living room that i have been wishing for it to die so i can finally go HD... oh and I have a 27" one in a spare room that has followed me through 3 years of moving in and out of dorms, 2 apartments, and now a new house and the thing is still kicking and looks great.

I think the pinnacle of Sony's design was the black and yellow sport discman, the only portable cd player that i have ever owned that did not skip at the slightest movement.

Sony's Credit Rating Now Downgraded by Moody's to One Step Above Junk-p9260016.jpg
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    My 13 year old 27" Sony Trinitron just died. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Oh well, I bought a 32" Dynex for 199.00 and aint looking back.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chapman_troy
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I hope I don't have to give up on the Playstation in the coming years...not ready to go with an X-box. Their other items in the electronics are just over-priced for something with the same specs in a different brand.
    Motorola Razr Maxx phone & Xoom tablet
    *filled with JellyBean goodies*
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    D4
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    Anyone remember the amazingly awesome minidisk mp3 player? You had to "check out" your music from your PC's "library" onto the minidisks and couldn't play them on your computer 'til you checked them back in. Fantastic hardware. Absolutely sucktastic implementation...
    Man, I still kind of love my old MD player. The hardware really was fantastic. Unfortunately, shortly after I got it, I switched to Linux. The only way to get new music on the disks then was to record them manually... like recording on an old cassette. It was totally worth it, though! ...At least, until I got a proper MP3 player (which has since been replaced by an Android phone).

Edit:

Of course, their horrible software for the MD player was nothing compared to their CDs that would install rootkits on Windows PCs....

Even though I do really like the Playstation line of console (and handhelds), remembering that fiasco makes me think that Sony really does deserve to go out of business.
    Last edited by LocoRon; 11-09-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    Narsil likes this.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Sony has been going downhill for years now. I remember a few years ago I did a case study of them for a management class. They really have to get stuff straighten out or they'll be bought out by another company.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    You win some, you lose some: Has Sony learned its lesson on proprietary formats yet? – Telegraph Blogs

Sony lost with CD's vs. Minidisc, but won with HD-DVD vs. Bluray.
    Narsil likes this.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  11. Team Sourcery
    Member #
    Liked
    131 times
    Phone
    Sourcerized GN
    DroidForums.net Developer
    This is what happens when innovation is replaced with improving of someone else's ideas... ahem ahem Apple...
    Narsil likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links