DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Patent Office Goes Off the Deep-End; Awards Apple with Patent for Rounded Rectangle

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Patent Office Goes Off the Deep-End; Awards Apple with Patent for Rounded Rectangle

When you see news like this, it just makes you wonder if you are living in a whole different dimension than other people. Apparently, there is a dimension where logic and reason are replaced by idiocy and madness. The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) recently awarded a patent to Apple for literally a rounded rectangle. (Feel free to facepalm repeatedly now.)

The specifics of the patent relate to the iPad's "ornamental" design feature encapsulated in US Patent D670,286 for a "Portable display device." Here's a quote with some additional detail,

The '286 patent awarded on Tuesday appears to give Apple the exact patent the Samsung and Apple critics have erroneously claimed that the '889 patent was. The patent includes a number of drawings of the original iPad design, with most of its uniquely identifying features in dashed lines. As stated in the patent description, "broken lines in the Figures show portions of the portable display device which form no part of the claimed design."

The only unbroken line in all the figures is the outline of the flat, rounded rectangular front face of the device. All the other identifiable features, such as the speaker grille, round home button, display size, Dock connector, or even its curved back, are not covered by this design patent.
    It's important to note that it is unlikely this patent will actually make much difference for Apple in the courtroom, because there are almost no competitors creating devices that are direct duplicates of Apple's design. Still, the fact that an actual thinking human being made this decision says sad things about the survival of our species...

Source: ArsTechnica
    jroc likes this.

3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1686 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member

Looks like the patent office is for sale.
    WoZzY and FoxKat like this.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Tonight we dine in Hell!
    FoxKat and jroc like this.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Twitter
    NeoPhoenixTE
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Maserati) - CM10.1.2
    I'm gonna go file a patent on "asinine patents" and see how far I get. :P

(watch someone blame this on Obama being reelected)
    FoxKat, dgstorm, Narsil and 2 others like this.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    What I wonder about if previous art. There were tablets before the iPad and they were rectangles with rounded corners.

Wow, the patent office must be corrupt or have some of the dumbest people on the planet.
    dgstorm likes this.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I am so glad TVs were made before the patent wars. I couldn't imaging watching Sons Of Anarchy on a 55 inch circle in the basement.
    Narsil and jroc like this.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8, Glass XE 2.0
    When I grow up I want to be an Apple patent lawyer.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    You have to think Apple's lawyers have an internal competition to see who can get the most ridiculously stupid patent. They have their winner. Although if someone can patent a circle it might be a toss-up.
    jspradling7 likes this.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by jspradling7 View Post
    When I grow up I want to be an Apple patent lawyer.
    Why wait? This one looks like it could have been submitted by someone's 3rd grader.
  11. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnytheK View Post
    What I wonder about if previous art. There were tablets before the iPad and they were rectangles with rounded corners.

Wow, the patent office must be corrupt or have some of the dumbest people on the planet.
    What mind boggling to me...is how can they say bounce back is invalid...and turn right around and give Apple this? Do the ppl at the USPTO ever work together? Is everybody doing their own thing, then when some months go by ppl working on patents for the same company.... their paths finally cross and they have a pow wow?

Seems like a serious lack of working together at the USPTO...or a case of shooting first, asking questions later. Seems like they give the OK for many things....THEN go back and see if its valid or not. Thats bass ackwards if you ask me.
    Last edited by jroc; 11-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    jspradling7 likes this.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links