DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Android 4.2 New Features: Plus Video of Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Android 4.2 at Google HQ

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2049 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Android 4.2 New Features: Plus Video of Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Android 4.2 at Google HQ

We thought you guys might like to get a bigger taste of the new features in Google's newest Android 4.2, so we put together this little bullet-point article, complete with a link to Google's page with further details. We also included a cool video produced by The Verge showcasing Google's new big gadgets today, and featuring an insider look at Google HQ. Here's the summary of Android 4.2 features:
    • New mode called Photo Sphere - New Photo software Photo Sphere lets users take 360-degree photos with Android 4.2. It also allows users to take full 360-degree photos composed out of stitched images. Also, the composite images can be viewed right on the device and shared on social networks, and can post them on Google Maps.
    • There is now an improved on-screen virtual keyboard - This new keyboard features Gesture Typing. It's basically Google's take on Swype with upgrades. This new software automatically adds spaces and can predict the next word you are trying to type. Additionally, voice typing is improved. You ca speak your messages out-loud and the software can convert them to text even while offline.
    • Now includes multiple user support, and enhanced keyboard features (this feature is for tablets only) - Interestingly, the code for this feature was already in 4.1 but Google only just now "activated" it for users. Google indicated, "Everyone can have their own homescreen, background, widgets, apps and games even individual high scores and levels! And since Android is built with multitasking at its core, its a snap to switch between users no need to log in and out."
    • Android 4.2 Now includes wireless mirroring on any TV that is connected through the same Wi-Fi. This allows a user to display anything from your on your device's screen onto your HDTV, like YouTube, movies, pics and websites.
    • The final new feature is called Daydream - this new feature attempts to "jazz up" your lock screen. It basically displays entertaining or useful information (like your own personal photo album, or favorite headlines) while your Android is locked or idle.

It's amazing how much Google decided to pack into an "incremental" .1 update. Some of these features are things Google has been teasing or sorely needing for some time. What do you guys think?

Source: Android - What's New in Android 4.2
    CJM likes this.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Lovin' the new features! Sadly, the carriers are still dragging their feet getting ICS out to customers, and even most new devices only come with ICS. I wonder how long it'll take even the newest phones to get 4.2 (or better yet, the third party ROM developers).

Shameful. It's the one thing I dislike about the whole Android experience. Great new features I'll probably never see for another year or two.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Phone
    D1>D2>Inc2>Rez>Nexus>S3>IP5
    Nice and informative. Hopefully with a Nexus 4 will be more of a powerhouse vs how the G Nex was(which was behind(tech wise), from its launch date). I cant wait to get the update!
    Nexus 7 2 4.3 PA
    Unlocked and ROM'ed Note 3!!!!!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    VZW Note 2
    16 GB No es bueno. I don't have an upgrade available and I don't want to give up my unlimited plan so I'll probably wait until I can afford full retail for a phone. That rumored HTC is the only phone that's interesting me.
    One thing 127 Hours has taught me; Never forget the Swiss Army Knife, leave the "Cheap Made in China multi-tool" home.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Cant wait for Google to drop the source and then for BAMF to update their rom to 4.2!
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    OG--ThunderBolt--Galaxy Nexus
    I guess they really didn't want verizon having this phone.. why not include LTE
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefire7002 View Post
    I guess they really didn't want verizon having this phone.. why not include LTE
    Covered that in a different thread. Neither Sprint or Verizon will be getting this phone and AT&T uses a different LTE band. LTE is also few and far between outside of the US. Google wanted to avoid carrier interference. Something the Galaxy Nexus had plenty of.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    djspy
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD
    this really pisses me off about Android fragmentation. so much cool and innovative stuff and hardly any one will get to experience it.
  10. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Awesome video. Seems the Nexus line and Android have a very bright future and hopefully I can support them. I know I'm loving my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 right now
  11. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    While this does increase my Android love the others are right on the money, unless you have a Nexus device you won't see these features until this time next year probably. I love my Nexus 7, but I won't be happy until that Motorola Nexus device becomes a reality.
    Last edited by Sydman; 11-01-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links