DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By NeoPhoenixTE
  • 1 Post By dgstorm

Thread: Apple Petulantly Publishes The UK Court Ruling Admitting Samsung Didn't Copy Them

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Apple Petulantly Publishes The UK Court Ruling Admitting Samsung Didn't Copy Them

Apple finally followed the UK Court's ruling forcing them to admit on their own website that Samsung didn't copy their designs, but it was basically a farce. The way they went about it was capricious and passive-aggressive. In fact, their final statement is basically a "slap in the face" to the UK court ruling. They basically confirm that the UK Court found Samsung didn't copy their designs, but then they turn around and completely refute this by pointing out their victories in Germany and the UK. Here's the full statement,

Samsung / Apple UK judgment

On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited’s Galaxy Tablet Computer, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple’s registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High court is available on the following link Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWHC 1882 (Pat) (09 July 2012).

In the ruling, the judge made several important points comparing the designs of the Apple and Samsung products:

"The extreme simplicity of the Apple design is striking. Overall it has undecorated flat surfaces with a plate of glass on the front all the way out to a very thin rim and a blank back. There is a crisp edge around the rim and a combination of curves, both at the corners and the sides. The design looks like an object the informed user would want to pick up and hold. It is an understated, smooth and simple product. It is a cool design."

"The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on 18 October 2012. A copy of the Court of Appeal’s judgment is available on the following link Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWCA Civ 1339 (18 October 2012). There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe.

However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design. A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc. So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad.
    It seems like Apple is behaving like a petulant child.

Source: Apple UK
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR
    After reading it here I checked it out on other sites to see what people were saying about it. Apple users are still fighting saying Samsung copied, I am just looking forward to seeing what happens with Samsung's appeal now that the "rubber-band effect" patent has been overturned. I hope the USPTO decides to reverse some of the other patents that they have approved.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Twitter
    NeoPhoenixTE
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Maserati) - CM10.1.2
    Can't say none of us saw this coming.

Quote Originally Posted by tjk629 View Post
    I've seen Apple "apologize". They'll somehow sneak in there that Samsung copied them. It's like when Steve Jobs said "sorry" for the antenna problems the iPhone 4 had. It was like "Yeah, here's this problem but it's all your fault for holding it wrong".
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRudy View Post
    Good point. They'll be snide and/or sarcastic about it I'm sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by GAstorino View Post
    Didn't I see this on Southpark where Randy had to "APOLOGIZE" to Jess Jackson.
    Not a one of us snooty bastards saw this coming at all. :P
    dgstorm, jroc and Xplorer4x4 like this.
  4. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    ^^. POeefect Sarcasm!
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member

Re: Apple Petulantly Publishes The UK Court Ruling Admitting Samsung Didn't Copy Them

So I was wrong. I said Apple would find a way to state the Tab sucks ,inferior,whatever, in their reply.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
  6. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2075 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    So I was wrong. I said Apple would find a way to state the Tab sucks ,inferior,whatever, in their reply.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    Nope. You were right the first time. In one part of their statement, Apple adds, "The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

It's subtle, but they are basically taking a jab at Sammy's tab.
    jroc likes this.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeron View Post
    After reading it here I checked it out on other sites to see what people were saying about it. Apple users are still fighting saying Samsung copied, I am just looking forward to seeing what happens with Samsung's appeal now that the "rubber-band effect" patent has been overturned. I hope the USPTO decides to reverse some of the other patents that they have approved.
    What did you expect from the iSheep? I have to admit, as much as I would love to see the Apple trolls banned, some of them are just so delusional it makes for a great laugh when I am bored.

As for Samsung copying Apple, while similar in ways, I don't believe Samsung copied Apple, unless you count blunders like apple's pattern for rounded edges. In the end, who cares what Samsung truly copied/stole. Wasn't it the late Steve Jobs who quoted Picaso as saying "Great artist steal." I don't recall exactly what Apple stole off hand, but this has to be the biggest double standard to ever grace the net. Apple can blantly admit to stealing, and the iSheep could care less. However, if some one "steals/copies" something from Apple, the company should be burnt to the ground to never return, and every penny the company has available should be turned over to Apple because they can do no wrong no matter what the late Commander in Chief says.
    How to SBF your D2G in Windows!
    How to SBF your D2G in Linux!

Retired Devices:Last Used Rom
    Motorola Backflip : Cyanogenmod 7
    Droid 2 Global : AOKP Build 39
    Current Device:Current Roms
    Droid Razr Maxx HD : Fuzion

I do NOT offer help through PM. Sorry!

Links