DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Wireless Hotspot Working on the RAZR HD via SQlite Hack

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveIrv View Post
    Correct.....Verizon paid the $1.25 million fine because they continued to charge people on data plans with caps the tethering fees when they should not have. They are still able to charge tethering fees to the old "godfathered" unlimited data plans that are slowly being phased out.

This is a confusing issue since some media reported on the issue incorrectly back in August and then corrected their reports within just a few weeks. Several times I've had the original articles cited to me as a source on this.....and then I've cited the follow up......LOL
    I'm pretty sure they can't charge for anyone on LTE.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hotice View Post
    Verizon cannot legally charge extra for wifi tethering on any of their LTE devices!!! They lost a lawsuit recently about that. You can ignore the terms of service. Thankfully somebody had some common sense. It has to do with terms of the purchase of the frequencies Verizon uses for LTE.
    Here are a few links for you:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

Verizon to stop blocking tethering apps, settles with FCC for $1.25 million -- Engadget
    That is not totally true. If you have unlimited data still it is still within VZW's right to block the app and it IS against your TOS still. Only those paying for data on some form of tiered data plan are able to hotspot without paying extra for it now....reading comprehension pays...
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Those of us they grandfathered into unlimited while on LTE are exempt from this ruling...

If you read the links you posted you woudl have seen this. Only usage based plans are covered so only those tiered plans are covered by this free hot spot since you are paying for the data already it should not matter how you go about using it.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    You wouldn't win any bets on that.......anyone one a tiered data plan has "free" tethering. People on the grandfathered unlimited plans must pay $20 a month to tether.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
    Those of us they grandfathered into unlimited while on LTE are exempt from this ruling...

If you read the links you posted you woudl have seen this. Only usage based plans are covered so only those tiered plans are covered by this free hot spot since you are paying for the data already it should not matter how you go about using it.
    Yep......

The difference on the grandfathered unlimited plans also is that Verizon will not subsidize the cost of phones......which means that you don't buy a Razr M for $99 (example)....you pay full retail price.

Last month I bought a pair of Razr M's ($149 for both phones) to replace the D2G's my wife and I had. I needed to move off a 3G plan to 4G LTE service. I was offered to keep my unlimited plan IF I wanted to pay full retail price for my phones...I didn't want to do THAT. LOL

I switched to the new Share Everything plan. My wife and I don't do much data (wifi is available for us a LOT) so hitting/exceeding a cap wasn't a concern. But we had just cut the cord on our house landline so the new plan's unlimited talk was attractive. We chose a 4GB a month plan and our cost went down about a buck a month. And now...I can tether if I want without paying the extra $20. I seldom tether, but if I'm going on vacation and need to...I can bump up my plan to a higher cap for that month so I don't exceed my cap.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr HD
    So, I have a brand new razr hd from verizon. I have a 2gb data plan and not a grandfathered unlimited plan. When I try to tether it tells me I have to buy the tethering plan. Why?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Verizon can still make it a pain for you. You're getting that message app because you're using the built-in tethering or an app that just enables the built in tethering which Verizon modified. There are apps out there, like FoxFi, that do tethering on their own. You can do this over USB, Wifi, or bluetooth. With the current version of Android on a Razr HD FoxFi will work fine to share your wifi but it does require using a certificate, which it will install, and as long as the cert is installed it forces you to use a lock screen - which is a pain. That must be a moto thing. It doesn't do that on other devices like the GS3. I don't think it does that if you use USB tethering. So you say, well how is this better than it was? Verizon used to actually block tethering apps in the store and threten you if you used them saying you're breaking the law or something. They legally can't do any of that now. It's perfectly legal to use a tethering app and Verizon can't even block them on the Play store.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr HD
    Verizon can still make it a pain for you. You're getting that message app because you're using the built-in tethering or an app that just enables the built in tethering which Verizon modified. There are apps out there, like FoxFi, that do tethering on their own. You can do this over USB, Wifi, or bluetooth. With the current version of Android on a Razr HD FoxFi will work fine to share your wifi but it does require using a certificate, which it will install, and as long as the cert is installed it forces you to use a lock screen - which is a pain. That must be a moto thing. It doesn't do that on other devices like the GS3. I don't think it does that if you use USB tethering. So you say, well how is this better than it was? Verizon used to actually block tethering apps in the store and threten you if you used them saying you're breaking the law or something. They legally can't do any of that now. It's perfectly legal to use a tethering app and Verizon can't even block them on the Play store.
    The cert doesn't bother me but I want to tether for free. FoxFi now requires you to get the paid version or limits the time/data you can use it with.

I've rooted my phone and am now experimenting with other tethering apps but none of their SSIDs show up in Windows. I've tried Wireless Tether and Wifi Tether so far. No luck with either.
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Phone
    note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckh1958 View Post

The cert doesn't bother me but I want to tether for free. FoxFi now requires you to get the paid version or limits the time/data you can use it with.

I've rooted my phone and am now experimenting with other tethering apps but none of their SSIDs show up in Windows. I've tried Wireless Tether and Wifi Tether so far. No luck with either.
    Most people have used the free foxfi for years, and paying the dev for this great app after years of it being free is the least we can do. If your on unlimited it's cheaper then the $30 Verizon was charging

bb to dx to razr to note 2 oh my
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links