DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Pure Google Phone From Motorola May Come Next Year, But Likely Will Be 6-8 Months

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2040 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

A Pure Google Phone From Motorola May Come Next Year, But Likely Will Be 6-8 Months

A pure Google Motorola Nexus device certainly could be the "holy grail" for some users. Motorola has some of the best hardware on the planet, and although some of their newer software is pretty impressive, most folks would just love to see a Motorola phone unhampered by add-ons. You would think now that Google owns Motorola, it would be an easy thing to make happen. Well, we have both good and bad news regarding that idea. The good news is that we may see something like that next year. The bad news is that it might be very late in the year.

Google's CFO Patrick Pichette spoke at Google's Q3 2012 earnings call yesterday. He shared the following,

Look, we're really pleased with Motorola's progress in its first 150 days. As indicated in our public filings, our team has made a lot of operational changes, we harmonized and narrowed the product portfolio, [undertook] streamlining of software operations, and we scaled back the markets in which we operate. But that said, we're just at the beginning of the Motorola-Google story, and we should expect, as I mentioned before, results from this segment to be quite variable for quite a while yet.

Remember that we inherited an entire product pipeline where hardware business cycles are typically 12 to 18 months.
    Reading between the lines in his statement, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that the new Google owned Motorola intends to finish pushing out the phones they currently have in their pipeline, before they consider moving to a pure-Android Moto phone. On the flip-side of that, it's also likely that once the current crop has filtered out, we will start to see Moto's devices sync-up better with the most current Android OS of the time.

Source: TheVerge

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    Twitter
    NeoPhoenixTE
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Maserati) - CM10.1.2
    Still waiting for a Motorola Droid Nexus...and hopefully one rockin' the Qwerty keyboard.
    cobravnm13 likes this.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenixTE View Post
    Still waiting for a Motorola Droid Nexus...and hopefully one rockin' the Qwerty keyboard.
    LOL...if I see one with a querty keyboard it will be just before the end of Motorola as a whole. =D I bet it won't be on Verizon. They are too far in bed with Big Red.
    -------------------------------
    HTC One M8
    -------------------------------
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    djspy
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD
    what good is it to us verizon customers? i have a better chance of winning an oscar than this phone coming to verizon.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Make it a 5.0" edge-to-edge, zero-bevel 2.0 gHz quad-core Qualcomm (if available by then), 2-4gb ram, Android 5.0 Keylime Pie (again, if in existence by then), 12-16 MP zero-shutterlag camera that's crystal-clear, 1920 x 1080p SuperAMOLED+ display non-pentile w/ stylus, Razr Maxx styling/hardware + battery, unlocked bootloader and 32-64 GB internal and you have the ultimate phone. Motorola Nexus Infinity I would call it...wishful thinking if it was manufactured in USA, those days long gone...
    Joseph
    Phone History:
    BB Storm 1: Colossal Failure, Hung it up 06/2009-05/2010
    Moto Droid: 05/2010-05/2012, 3 replacements, Greatful retirement
    Moto Droid Razr Maxx: 05/2012 - 10/2013, Excellent Experience
    Galaxy S4: 10/2013 - Present
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpiarull View Post
    Make it a 5.0" edge-to-edge, zero-bevel 2.0 gHz quad-core Qualcomm (if available by then), 2-4gb ram, Android 5.0 Keylime Pie (again, if in existence by then), 12-16 MP zero-shutterlag camera that's crystal-clear, 1920 x 1080p SuperAMOLED+ display non-pentile w/ stylus, Razr Maxx styling/hardware + battery, unlocked bootloader and 32-64 GB internal and you have the ultimate phone. Motorola Nexus Infinity I would call it...wishful thinking if it was manufactured in USA, those days long gone...
    Not asking for too much at all

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    Not asking for too much at all

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.
    Haha. No joke...I doubt Google would put that kind of hardware in a Nexus device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    This makes me feel a lil better about getting the Maxx HD. I was holding on to rumors of a Moto Nexus coming soon.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Moto X 32GB
    You will not see another Nexus phone on Verizon. Verizon is still butthurt from the Galaxy Nexus debacle. If you want another Nexus phone, you'll have to jump ship this time around. If enough users do jump ship, perhaps Verizon will reverse course. I doubt it will happen. I'll stick around on Verizon in the hopes that a Nexus ROM comes out. Now, wouldn't that be grand? A ROM that could virtually turn any phone into a Nexus device?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    Agree won't be on verizonwirless. They will lock it and moto will come out and say its the "carrier" and Verizon will say its the "manufacturer" and unlock phone will damage user experience yada yada...meanwhile they see double digit growth in revenue. After my nexus contract is up I'm looking else where. Will lose my unlimited data if I stay or go (unless I buy the phone at retail) anyway. No incentive to stay plus I have to pay to upgrade, really? So retarded...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links