DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: LG's Own Experiment Claims LG Optimus G Has Longer Battery Life than the Galaxy S III

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2056 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

LG's Own Experiment Claims LG Optimus G Has Longer Battery Life than the Galaxy S III

Although you can hardly call this test scientific or unbiased, supposedly according to their own internal tests, LG claims that their new flagship phone, the LG Optimus G has better battery life than the Samsung Galaxy S III. Here's a quote with the scoop,

Both devices have 2,100 mAh battery packs, but LG claims the higher density of its unit and the improved chemistry allowed for better results.

The tests were presumable done on equal footing - 50% screen brightness, full battery charge, with both phones connected to LG's U+ network. The results are as follows - 15.8 consecutive hours of talk on the Optimus G, compared to 9.5 hours on the Galaxy S III. The official specs of both phones are 15 hours of talk time in 3G mode for the G, and 11.5 hours for the S III, though.

Optimus G also recorded and played videos for 3.8 hours and 7.9 hours, respectively, whereas the Galaxy S III managed 2.8 hours recording and 7.3 of video playback.

The reason for this frugality was demonstrated for reporters playing PSY's "Gangnam Style" video, and while playing a 1.8 GB video game - in both cases the Optimus G showed lower power consumption compared to the Galaxy S III
    What do you guys think? If their tests can be confirmed by a third party would this make you even more excited about this device?

Source: PhoneArena

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    No,Ill still pick my SGS3 over this.Sorry LG,you just cant come up in my hood all willy nilly making claims.
    music life and johnomaz like this.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Yesterday I had 17hrs straight without a charge on my s3 and still had 47% left at the end of the day.... that was with light to medium usage for the first 10hrs... with the remaining being in standby.... even if the LG does outperform it I'm still more than happy with my devicedevice
    johnomaz likes this.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Battery life is nice...but it doesnt make up for why I dont want it: storage size and no sd card.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Won't matter if I'm still on VZ when I get my next phone =p
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    I claim complete and total BS on the statement, "Both devices have 2,100 mAh battery packs, but LG claims the higher density of its unit and the improved chemistry allowed for better results."

2100mAh is 2100mAh. Period. It doesn't matter whether the battery is the size of a dime or my house. The chemistry and density of the battery affect its size not the amount of energy it stores.

The Optimus G may have longer battery life due to other hardware/software issues but it has nothing to do with the batteries in the two units.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    I claim complete and total BS on the statement, "Both devices have 2,100 mAh battery packs, but LG claims the higher density of its unit and the improved chemistry allowed for better results."
    2100mAh is 2100mAh. Period. It doesn't matter whether the battery is the size of a dime or my house. The chemistry and density of the battery affect its size not the amount of energy it stores.

The Optimus G may have longer battery life due to other hardware/software issues but it has nothing to do with the batteries in the two units.
    Weeeeell, not so fast. It is true that battery chemistry and construction can have an effect on discharge rates and heat.

Still, I would hold more merit to this test if it was done by a 3rd party (neutral) firm.

edit: Even though they just announced bankruptcy, they did create a new technology that improves performance of lithium ion batteries. Oh well, let's just use gasoline to power our phones and be done with it.
    Better Lithium Ion Battery Aims to Re-Energize Electric Cars: Scientific American
    Last edited by akhenax; 10-17-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: addiitonal information added.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    The amphour rating of the battery lets you know how long the battery will last based on the [constant] amperage being drawn. If both phones have 2100mAh batteries and both phones draw 2.1A during use, the battery will be drained in one hour. The ONLY way to make the battery last longer is to reduce the amperage drain on the battery, which has everything to do with the phone and absolutely nothing to do with the battery. If you want the battery to last ten hours, then the average drain on a 2100mAh battery (regardless of whether it is LiIon, LiPoly, lead acid, NiCd, NiMH, or whathaveyou) must be 210mA. Get your device's average draw down to 105mA and you've got a 20 hour battery life device.

The differing chemistries allow you to pack more chemical energy into a smaller package and change the power discharge curve, but the amphour rating is the amphour rating, regardless of chemistry.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    PC Mag just did a review of the LG Optimus G for Sprint, and they were not happy with the phone. They did not like the camera, and the two they had in house both had problems with heat.
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    really? LG Optimus G Has Longer Battery Life than the Galaxy S III?I don't know,I want to buy galaxy s 3,but the battery life is always very very important to me.I hate the cell phone suddenly out of power and I have to charge it usually.........I really a want long time battery life machine..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links