DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Video Demo Leaks Out Future Google TV Features; Voice-Activated Remote Control & More

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Video Demo Leaks Out Future Google TV Features; Voice-Activated Remote Control & More

How does controlling your TV with your voice instead of a traditional remote sound? Supposedly that may be exactly what the next iteration of Google TV may bring. A video demo of features for the next version of Google TV leaked out temporarily, but before it was yanked folks got to see some of Google's plans for the future. Probably the most stand-out new feature is full voice-control for the product. Here's a quote with some of the details,

For example, there’s big improvements to Search, which now lets you use voice commands to surface content far more effectively than before.

You can shout ‘Mad Men’, and it will peruse programmes on live TV, Netflix, YouTube and so on. Moreover, you can also search by genre – shout ‘comedies’, and it’ll bring up all the funny flicks at your disposal, and it will let you jump straight into certain channels by shouting their name, i.e. “HBO”, automatically loading that channel. It’s not just about content though, you can also bring up apps and websites through voice commands, such as “Google Maps”.

Another key feature is a mini-guide, which lets you plan what you’re watching next whilst still watching your current programme. It opens up at the bottom of the screen, so you can line it up for after.
    One other interesting feature was teased, the video also demoed tablet connectivity. This would basically allow a Google TV to relay content over to a smaller display on your tablet, like SmartGlass.

Although Google TV has been mostly a fledgling flop (as far as sell-through numbers are concerned), it's great to see that Google hasn't given up on it, and that it may, in fact have a very bright future. Who else is looking forward to this?

Source: Google TV v3 teaser: More Effective Voice Search

3. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Sounds really cool, but I'm guessing many of these features won't work on the older google TV's, ie: Sony 40 inch as they have no mics.. But I guess it wouldn't be hard to make an adapter for one.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 • Cricket Wireless
    Blah, I want a smart TV that automatically mutes during commercials and un-mutes when the TV show comes back on. Make a TV that reads my mind. I'd rather push a button on a remote than talk to the TV like a schizophrenic.
    “Innovation is not the product of logical thought..." ~Albert Einstein
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Sounds really cool, but I'm guessing many of these features won't work on the older google TV's, ie: Sony 40 inch as they have no mics.. But I guess it wouldn't be hard to make an adapter for one.
    Why do I feel their not gonna make adpters for older tv's,but make us buy the lastest and greatest.
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Twitter
    TLB687
    Phone
    Note 3 rockin 4.4.2 Kit Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    Blah, I want a smart TV that automatically mutes during commercials and un-mutes when the TV show comes back on. Make a TV that reads my mind. I'd rather push a button on a remote than talk to the TV like a schizophrenic.
    You mean to tell me,you would mute,"Ive falling and I cant get up."or"Clap on,clap off."
    "I'll stop buying smartphones when they make One smarter than me."Where's the stylus pen on the new One?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Bionic Safestrap/Th3ory/CM7a
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    I use able remote and it allows voice control like channel 809, etc. I don't use it that often, though.

My remote (for Sony gtv) has a hole in the bottom--I always thought that was a Mic but never tried it.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    Or how about just sound normalizing? If the suddenly much louder commercials aren't enough, I often find myself watching programs/movies where you have to turn way up to hear voices (and I have a good speaker surround system) and then explosions start going off and I'm scrambling to turn it down before my neighbors complain.

Also, I'm not sure if my tv has a USB input (I assume), but I wonder if someone couldn't rig some sort of dongle or special USB with a mic that you could plug-in and have android on your tv. I'm sure there's already something like this out there.
  9. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marleyinoc View Post
    I use able remote and it allows voice control like channel 809, etc. I don't use it that often, though.

My remote (for Sony gtv) has a hole in the bottom--I always thought that was a Mic but never tried it.

-Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB
    Yea I use Able also, works great.. guess we see what happens,
  10. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Or how about just sound normalizing? If the suddenly much louder commercials aren't enough, I often find myself watching programs/movies where you have to turn way up to hear voices (and I have a good speaker surround system) and then explosions start going off and I'm scrambling to turn it down before my neighbors complain.

Also, I'm not sure if my tv has a USB input (I assume), but I wonder if someone couldn't rig some sort of dongle or special USB with a mic that you could plug-in and have android on your tv. I'm sure there's already something like this out there.
    That's exactly what I was thinking...

Links