DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By akhenax

Thread: Japan's Softbank Maybe Planning to acquire Sprint for $12 billion; Sprint Stock Soars

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2060 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

Japan's Softbank Maybe Planning to acquire Sprint for $12 billion; Sprint Stock Soars

An industry shakeup may be headed our way. Industry intel indicates that the Japanese carrier Softbank is in advanced talks to acquire Sprint. Several different reputable news agencies including Reuters and the Wall Street Journal reported today that Softbank is in final negotiations to purchase the Now Network for 1 trillion yen (about $12.8 billion US dollars). Of course, this news sent Sprint's stock soaring. It is up over 17% already. This is on top of the fact that it has already doubled in value in just a year.

This news could mean a lot of things for Sprint. For one, it could bring an influx of infrastructure capital to help improve their current network and push out Sprint's new LTE network even faster (even though they are already ahead of schedule). It could also mean that we might finally start seeing some of that unique high-end gadgetry that only seems to come out in Japan.

Of course, the most desirable outcome would be an influx of advertising dollars for Sprint. This way, the company could get even more aggressive and potentially start stealing more marketshare from AT&T and Verizon. If that happened, then those other two behemoths might be more inclined to start getting competitive with their pricing again. What do you guys think? (besides wishing that you had bought some Sprint stock last year.)

Source: Engadget
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I don't know how I feel about a foreign company buying a U.S. company. Not sure this is good news. Having foreign control over a U.S. carrier gives me the "willies". We see what Vodafone has done with Verizon Wireless.
    swc2001 and trestevenson like this.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
  3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Softbank is the 3rd largest carrier in Japan with over 30,000,000 subscribers. Only NTT Docomo and KDDI AU are ahead of it.

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    397 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Time to sell your stock now if you have it.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
    -------------------------------
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax View Post
    I don't know how I feel about a foreign company buying a U.S. company. Not sure this is good news. Having foreign control over a U.S. carrier gives me the "willies". We see what Vodafone has done with Verizon Wireless.
    What about T-Mobile? That's a foreign owned company, and they are very popular here and very competitive.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    45% of Verizon wireless is owned by vodafone. So it isn't that big of a deal to have an good chunk of an American company be owned by a foreign company.
    Last edited by tjk629; 10-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Agreed!
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    excepting of course that plans and phones in japan are much better than what we get here in the states, maybe having a japanese company with their hands in our mobile phone market will increase the amount of awesome gadgets AND make other companies more competitive
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  9. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1000 times
    Twitter
    wicked_E46
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    excepting of course that plans and phones in japan are much better than what we get here in the states, maybe having a japanese company with their hands in our mobile phone market will increase the amount of awesome gadgets AND make other companies more competitive
    This.

10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    697 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ...e_gdata_player

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA

Links