DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: New Apple 'Camera' Patent Will Allow Remote Shutdown of Your Phone or its Features

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    698 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayman350 View Post
    except that they will still be able to do this, they just won't be able to instagram from the theater since the camera is disabled.
    Sorry was meant to be a joke, sadly the days of common decency and privacy are long gone. Technology not only gives, but it takes away as well.
    FoxKat likes this.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    OG--ThunderBolt--Galaxy Nexus
    Hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but... Police state much??
    FoxKat, jpiarull and HeadKase like this.
  3. Droid Jedi
    Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note Duece

Re: New Apple 'Camera' Patent Will Allow Remote Shutdown of Your Phone or its

who would wanna watch a concert recorded on a cell phone? yuck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    dgstorm, FoxKat and 52brandon like this.
    NOTE DUECE

Killed = Bionic
    Phone graveyard = D1
    Resting = Dx
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    pretty soon they are going to register to have their name changed to Skynet....

B
    Hmm, limp wristed hippie terminators? I'm not scared!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Phone
    2nd Generation Phabletastic!
    My thoughts regarding the individuals responsible for this patent:

On the other hand, I'm kind of glad Apple patented this. It will limit the number of manufacturers implementing the technology and Apple will sue anyone else who tries to do anything remotely like this in the future.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei I

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    this is crazy. leave it to Apple to come up with crap like this. pretty soon they are going to register to have their name changed to Skynet....

B
    I'll start being concerned when a Jobs look alike with an Austrian accent shows up.
    Until then I'll just continue to be annoyed at the attempted take over of the planet by Apple 1 patent at a time.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From a Beano
    FoxKat likes this.
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    The so-called disabling of the phone's camera for "copyright" protection is garbage. Anyone who wants to copy an event or movie for the purpose of redistribution isn't going to use an iPhone to do the capturing. There are far more covert and higher quality ways to accomplish the same thing and can be done without wireless communications as part of the process thereby eliminating this "remote shutdown" feature as a potential hindrance to those methods.

This is nothing short of an attempt to move our right to freedom of speech and freedom to record public occurrences of things such as police brutality toward a police state where we are only as free as those who administer the "law" in that immediate area will allow us to be. The potential repercussions are massive and potentially harmful. What if someone suffers a heart attack in a crowd at one of these public events where the remote deactivation has been implemented? Now instead of anyone nearby with a cellular phone being able to call 911 for assistance, there is nothing anyone can do but watch that individual suffer and die. How about being able to protect yourself from an attack or otherwise? So instead of being able to take a picture of a suspicious person or offender for possible future identification, they can instead attack under the cloak of the remote deactivation of your phone?

I really don't see this as being good in any situation or free country and only can foresee this being used by the government for political censorship in Communist China.

Big Brother is alive and well in the minds of Apple.
    Since I can't like a post twice, I'll just like this once and give a BIG DITTO!!!

And this is one patent Apple can have all to itself. I hope Android NEVER copies this!!!
    Last edited by LoudRam; 10-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    FoxKat likes this.
    Droid does...Apple bites

8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    As I said when this was first mentioned a few months ago: I find it funny. If Apple implements this, then the coding for it is in the phone, meaning a motivated cracker/coder could find it and screw with any and every Apple device carrying the code. That would be quite interesting.
    FoxKat likes this.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, G Nex, Razr MAxx
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionImprobable View Post
    As I said when this was first mentioned a few months ago: I find it funny. If Apple implements this, then the coding for it is in the phone, meaning a motivated cracker/coder could find it and screw with any and every Apple device carrying the code. That would be quite interesting.
    That and because Apple is patenting it, we won't have to worry about it getting into android as that would just give Apple something to sue for.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx Arctic HD
    FoxKat likes this.
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus - 4.3 - Shiny ROM

Droid Razr Maxx (XT912) - 4.2.2 - Buttered AOKP ROM

OG Droid (retired) - 2.3.7 - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7)
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by badtoy1986 View Post
    Not really, if they ever implemented it they would go out of business... No one would want a phone that could have features remotely deactivated.
    Sadly Apple will claim it is a feature. If the movie theater can mute your phone and disable your data, Apple sheeple will realize how rude it is and agree they shoudl not be using there phone at times like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    The so-called disabling of the phone's camera for "copyright" protection is garbage. Anyone who wants to copy an event or movie for the purpose of redistribution isn't going to use an iPhone to do the capturing. There are far more covert and higher quality ways to accomplish the same thing and can be done without wireless communications as part of the process thereby eliminating this "remote shutdown" feature as a potential hindrance to those methods.
    Tell that to people on youtube. For example, I am a professional wrestling fan(waits for wise cracks). Sometimes the small time companies simply do not tape the shows so people may use a phone to tape a dream match that otherwise would only be seen by people live at the event. Now this shouldn't fall under copyright law if the company stands to make no money off of it. Another example, my girlfriend went to a concert the other night. She took videos of a song or two I guess, but she doesn;t plan to upload it to youtube or redistribute it. While she is not posting them to yt or fb, I bet you anything other people there will have recorded video from there phone and will be uploading it on yt, fb, etc. Now of course it is stupid to issue DCMA take down for copyright infringement over such footage but who knows how many people the record labels or RIAA have already taken down videos through there own power or DMCAs.This used to be called fair use, but today it is copyright infringement, so in that regard, I disagree.
    How to SBF your D2G in Windows!
    How to SBF your D2G in Linux!

Retired Devices:Last Used Rom
    Motorola Backflip : Cyanogenmod 7
    Droid 2 Global : AOKP Build 39
    Current Device:Current Roms
    Droid Razr Maxx HD : Fuzion

I do NOT offer help through PM. Sorry!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links