DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Things Grow Bleaker for HTC; Earnings Nosedive 79% in Q3 of 2012

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus

Re: Things Grow Bleaker for HTC; Earnings Nosedive 79% in Q3 of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DrGalaxy View Post
    btw its not verizons fault for not updating them its the companies when i worked for verizon they dont hit a button to send update...... the manufacturer sends its out via the network by user.... i blame poor management with pumping as many phones out with similar specs out its capitalism if you fail to dominate all the time your company will fail
    Except that every update must be approved and signed by Verizon...now I don't know whether Verizon is holding updates for "testing" or HTC is slacking, but I doubt that Verizon is clean of everything and is not withholding the update. Its already pretty much assumed the reason the Bionic still doesn't have ICS officially is because of Verizon. Wouldn't doubt HTC being affected as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by syndicate0017; 10-09-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Phone
    Note N7000/Atrix 4G/GS3
    Quote Originally Posted by PereDroid View Post
    One simple thing. The same thing that made Apple great, and is making Sammy great, is killing HTC.
    M A R K E T I N G.
    Except marketing had nothing to do with them debuting their flagship One X on only one carrier in the US. It's that type of model fragmentation (and I hate to use that word) that is killing several brands. When you've got 4 very different handsets where you should only have one...

Samsung finally understood. You see the same Galaxy S III whether you're on Sprint, AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile or even the International version. It just has a carrier branding on the battery cover. That's it. The software can be updated much quicker because there are no customizations, they're creating a true high-end branding and they've got a VERY easily recognizable product. This was something I was really hoping HTC had learned, but I guess not.

Marketing may be doing some real damage, but what I said above is, I believe, what's killing them.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by N4UPD View Post
    Another thing that hurt them is not being able to use 3rd party wifi hotspot apps such as foxfi unless you used USB Tether.
    false. I have FoxFi and I can use it to connect with my tablet. However, technically, wifi won't work, but Blutooth does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Byakushiki View Post
    Problem is, for many people, Beats Audio is actually a turn-off as some people value true-to-recording quality without an unnecessary bass boost. Besides that...It is somewhat surprising that this happened.

Breakfast beats worrying.
    It was for me when the Rezound initially came out. I laughed at "Beats" word up!... then I researched months later due to a warranty claim on my other phone, and got the Rezound for free. Free trumps Beats though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    And in the end, that's what it boils down to... what your opinion of good UI design is. Good UI is simple, clean and unobtrusive. I can't say any of that about Sense. It's in your face, gaudy and completely obtrusive.

IMHO, Sense is an abomination, just like Moto's skins (and yes, I mean the newer stuff also). BUT, that remains MY opinion, and everyone has their own.

I'll admit, Moto's skin is nicer than Sense... but I still stand by my opinion that TouchWiz is the best skin. Even though skins are horrible anyway. :/
    I agree that skins are horrible, but I dislike Samsungs the most. with Moto a close 2nd.
    Don't get your tightie whities in a bunch if you don't like my humor or get offended when I skip putting smiley faces all over. IF you cannot handle online comments and get bent out of shape, go home.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Phone
    RAZR HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Except marketing had nothing to do with them debuting their flagship One X on only one carrier in the US.
    I still consider that MARKETING, though. They chose to bring a phone to a limited market by only going with one carrier. They made a conscious decision to market that phone ONLY on the ATT network. And later T-Moby.
    So I think we are saying the same thing. Marketing doesn't ONLY mean making commercials. It is how you bring your product to market, as well.
    Otherwise I think we are in total agreement.
    As I said: big HTC fan. Saw the specs for the ONE X and got all excited.
    "Sweet! My next ph----- ATT only?!?!?!?! F!!!!!!!!!!"

Also agree not a fan of Sammy's UI at all. Liked the original Moto, but not the next few versions, like the Bionic.
    Do like the RAZR M UI, so may go back to them.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Phone
    Note N7000/Atrix 4G/GS3
    I still consider that MARKETING, though. They chose to bring a phone to a limited market by only going with one carrier. They made a conscious decision to market that phone ONLY on the ATT network. And later T-Moby.
    So I think we are saying the same thing. Marketing doesn't ONLY mean making commercials. It is how you bring your product to market, as well.

Also agree not a fan of Sammy's UI at all. Liked the original Moto, but not the next few versions, like the Bionic.
    I worked for AT&T as a RAN engineer for several years... it's not marketing. AT&T accepted the One X as is, like they accepted the Galaxy S II 4G (only changing the hardware home button for capacitive buttons). I see this as a matter of HTC not having enough sway to push the carriers to do what they want. What they should have done, and what they need to do in the future, is say take it or leave it... This is how we initially designed this phone and if you don't want to offer it to your customers as is, that's not our problem. Software is customizable to an extent, but hardware customization is a NO.

If HTC can get that aspect of their business under control, I think it will be to their benefit. Extreme benefit, matter of fact.

EDIT: This is exactly what Sony (ericsson) is doing. And they're actually doing just fine. Growing slowly, but releasing very nice hardware and software... even working hand in hand with the development community.
    Last edited by Dorian; 10-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II

Same here. When I first heard about the One X, I thought it might win out over getting the Galaxy SIII....until I found out it would only be on AT&T. And it is still an exclusive to AT&T. T-Mobile got the One S, which is essentially a dumbed down, smaller version of the One X. From what I understand, the Droid Incredible LTE available on Verizon, is essentially the One S, except that it has a NFC chip and a removable battery.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links