DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Teardown Reveals Samsung Galaxy S III's Display is Superior to the iPhone 5

1. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2052 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member

New Teardown Reveals Samsung Galaxy S III's Display is Superior to the iPhone 5

Of course, whenever there are bragging rights it's our duty to report them. Apparently, IHS iSuppli recently did a teardown study of the display for both the Samsung Galaxy S III and the new iPhone 5. On purely technical merits, the results of the study favor the display on the SGS3 over the iPhone 5. According to their report, the active-matrix organic light emitting diode (AMOLED) display of the SGS3 is thinner and produces more color than the low temperature polysilicon (LTPS) Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) on the iPhone 5. More specifically, the iPhone 5's display produces 72% of the full gamut of NTSC colors and is 1.5mm thick, while the SGS3 produces 100% of the full range of colors and is 1.1mm thick.

The articles on this subject, as well as the folks who performed the study, quickly pointed out that these improved technical specifications of the SGS3 over the iPhone 5 do not necessarily guarantee that users will have an improved overall experience with the visuals on either device. In fact, it is unlikely that the average consumer will be able to tell much of a difference between the two. In the end, it's great to see two competitors pushing each other to innovate and improve. It's too bad it can't stay in the marketplace and is all over the court system too.

Source: S3Forums via ComputerWorld
    Last edited by dgstorm; 10-02-2012 at 03:06 PM.

3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Quick screen comparison: Galaxy Note 2 versus Galaxy S3 | Android Central

so if the note 2 has a better screen than the s3... man the note 2 is gonna be awesome (in a big way).
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I'm disappointed in the iPhone 5s display anyways. I was expecting something interested but instead if just feels on par with the rest.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    VZW GS3 SynergyRom

I dont normaly comment, but when i do..

"According to their report, the active-matrix organize light emitting diode (AMOLED) display of the SGS3 is thinner and produces more color than the low temperature polysilicon (LTPS) Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) on the iPhone 5."

AMOLED
    means Active Matrix Organic light emitting diode Active matrix (AM)
    OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer- or substrate- that contains circuitry.
    What is AMOLED?#
    dgstorm likes this.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolin923 View Post
    "According to their report, the active-matrix organize light emitting diode (AMOLED) display of the SGS3 is thinner and produces more color than the low temperature polysilicon (LTPS) Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) on the iPhone 5."

AMOLED
    OLED displays stack cathode, organic, and anode layers on top of another layer- or substrate- that contains circuitry.
    What is AMOLED?#
    I am sure the "organize" versus "organic" was simply a typo...but thanks for the tip.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Editor in Chief
    Member #
    Liked
    2052 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolin923 View Post

AMOLED
    What is AMOLED?#
    Thanks for the catch. I actually copy and pasted that part from the original source story, and didn't see the error myself. I appreciate the heads up!
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    VZW GS3 SynergyRom
    No Problem,
    Copy and Paste does us all in sometimes.

For some reason I have an eye for that sort of thing (OCD somewould say). Sometimes people take it the wrong way.

Im just glad to help,

MANO
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus

Re: New Teardown Reveals Samsung Galaxy S III's Display is Superior to the iPhone 5

The screen may be awesome, but I sure hope the Note 2's screen isn't like my GNex's in that it gets so hot you could fry an egg on it. Even on the dimmest setting, it gets way too hot...sucks the life outta the battery too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    HOKIE
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3

Re: New Teardown Reveals Samsung Galaxy S III's Display is Superior to the iPhone 5

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    The screen may be awesome, but I sure hope the Note 2's screen isn't like my GNex's in that it gets so hot you could fry an egg on it. Even on the dimmest setting, it gets way too hot...sucks the life outta the battery too.

Idk. I do love me some fried eggs. Lol jk

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    OG Droid: Rooted running Steel Droid V10.0 [Retired]
    Droid 2: Rooted running CM9 [Retired]
    Droid 3: Rooted running Minimoto [Active]

I rarely use DF on the desktop and mainly use Tapatalk, so if I don't or can't see something in your sig, a vid, or a pic, don't blame me!!!
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post

What do you mean the screen get's hot? You think the AMOLED display makes the screen hot? More like the battery or CPU IMO.
    Phone History: Moto Startac > LG VX6000 > Moto e815 > LG Voyager > Moto D R O I D > GALAXY NEXUS > Moto X
    Rockin': Moto X w/ Root!
    Clockin': Nada

Free Wifi Tether w/o Root
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links