DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 108
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Verizon's CFO Says that "unlimited" is "just a word" and "doesn't mean anything."

  1. Droid Ninja
    LoudRam's Avatar
    Member #
    149879
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    1,216
    Liked
    137 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #81
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbcivic View Post
    I went to verizon yesterday. i have 2 smartphones on unlimited data i wanted to turn on my kids used iphone and add data then add a line for my other kid and add data plan. they tried their best to analyze what i use and justify getting a shared plan. it worked out to the same money but i would loose unlimited on my 2 phones......hmmmmmm No i said! she said but it wouldnt matter you dont use enough looking at the past 3 mo. to even worry about unlimited. i said but yeah i may need it because if i take a trip and play slacker radio for 10hrs while driving i will run over then what???? she had no answer.
    They usually don't.
    Droid does...Apple bites

  2. Junior Droid
    Windwalker's Avatar
    Member #
    125208
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Alabama
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Droid Razr HD
    #82
    I'll let you in on a little tactic they are trying now. I have a USB modem that I have used here for years. I started out with Alltel and the unlimited plan. Naturally when they bought out Altell I was grandfathered in. After about 2 years the 3G Alltel modem finally went out and they sent me a new 3G Verizon USB modem. They still left me on the unlimited plan with the new modem.

    Shortly after that my 1.7 to 2.0 download speeds started dropping to around 200-600 and sometimes lower. I called and after many times on with support I was told that my account indicated that I was currently under some type of restriction for the remainder of the month, for heavy users. That after passing 2-3Gb in a month, speeds are reduced for the remainder of the month. Of course speaking with different support persons gave different levels. Some said it tripped at 2GB, some said 3GB and one said 5GB.

    I normally use 6-20GB per month with this modem and my desktop. (Using a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 Router). They claimed that if on a congested cell site that being a heavy user I would be restricted in speed till the congestion cleared. Now I live in a rural area and doubt that many people out here use verizon for Internet on their desktops. Most use some form of Satellite Internet for desktops and laptops as there is no 4G here, and Sat speeds are about what 3G are here. We are 25 miles from any city and only about 200 people in a 10 mile radius.

    They are doing this to force unlimited data plans onto the shared plan. So far I have suffered through it, and either they gave up, or the raccoons out here stopped downloading movies here in the woods, as my speed (except for tonight) has run around 1.5 to 2.2mb down and 400kb up for the last few months. I thought it unfair and talked to the States Attorney General here, but they said there is nothing they can do, that Verizon is within their rights to throttle users.

    Of course living in Alabama I expect that response. "Alabama,The best Politicians Money can buy".
    Last edited by Windwalker; 10-01-2012 at 08:07 PM.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Ninja143's Avatar
    Member #
    293142
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil
    Unlimited doesn't mean anything? How about unlimited cuts to his salary? It would begin to mean something to him rather quickly.

    He's a technological moron.

    I'll bet if you asked America Online's CFO in the mid to late 90's whether AOL would ever provide unlimited access for the same monthly price, he would have choked on his martini olive laughing and crashed his Countache. The idea that data access is not going to move towards unlimited at a fixed price is counter-indicated by the last 20 years of technological history regarding the sale of data access.

    Franny's argument?
    Well said. Wish he'd read somethin like this and take a hint.
    I wish I could challenge him to come down to our level. Pay the same bills we do and then tell me unlimited is a thing of the past. Pay the same bill with my salary /me throws gauntlet.
  4. Droid Newbie
    GoldLock's Avatar
    Member #
    270695
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    1 times
    #84

    Lightbulb Why VZW REALLY got rid of unlimited data

    Quote Originally Posted by herrbifi View Post
    So ever since this whole unlimited going away debacle I have had an interesting response to it. I have a server with about 6TB of storage and I like to download x264 movies and save for future use. So I threw a Wireless N PCI card in and connected to rooted Bionic using FoxFi. I plug the phone into power and commence to downloading everything I can get my hands on from UseNet over the weekends. First weekend hit 320gb of usage on plan. Being without the device is a little bit of a downfall, but the 3 consecutive weekends of this totaling an ~750GB monthly usage. The funny thing is Verizon has been burning up my phone wanting me to use the available upgrade on my plan. All I have to say is suckit Verizon.
    I was a rep for VZW and I can honestly tell you why VZW got rid of unlimited data.

    1. Business decision - Everyone is out to make money, and lots of it. We know this already. But VZW is the most experienced company in the world - flat out - when it comes to communication. They know that everything is going mobile, and data is the next big commodity, so they needed to be prepared [I][B]WELL[I][B] in advance for the future. The way the world will communicate 5-10 years from now will mostly be through the internet. Yes let's all be honest, if you control that, you control everything.

    2. iPhones - Originally, VZW was going to get the iPhone first (*gasp*), but because of disagreements between them and Apple, it didn't happen. When the iPhone finally did come, a HUGE influx of users grasped onto it and began to pile down on the 3G network, making data speeds much slower than they should have been. Thank Apple for VZW's huge advancement in 4G LTE, because it was this situation that forced VZW to protect its reputation and look for other (faster and stronger) means of data transit for future phones (iPhone 5) so this situation wouldn't happen again. In the mean time, unlimited data for phones meant iPhones and data abusers would make VZW's network look like trash, so that helped fuel the decision.

    3. That 5% - Here's some interesting statistics for you:

    - At the time VZW made this decision, only about 8% of VZW customers were on 4G.
    - 95% of VZW customers averaged about 1GB-1.5GB of monthly data usage
    - 90% of users carrier-wide avg'd less than 2GB monthly on unlimited plans
    - 5% of data users on VZW's network could account for well over 60% of the data used monthly by subscribers

    Here's another related statistic. 4% of the U.S. population can account for 90% of the wealth in the United States

    See the correlation?

    I know some of us INCLUDING MYSELF would have loved to keep unlimited data, as even on my employee line (which isn't unlimited) I've used nearly 30GB of data myself one month just to test out how much I could possibly use in a month on a 4G Razr MAXX. I did the test without metering anything, this included downloading, tethering, HD Vid streaming, radio, GPS you name it. I pruposely tried to abuse it, and I'm averaging about 10GB regularly now. Yes it would be nice if we all still held on to that freedom of unlimited Netflix not over WiFi, and great workout sessions with Pandora everyday. But even for us tech-savvy users, most of us really don't use that much data in comparison to that 5%. It's people like ^BRAINIAC^ here from the quote that slow down the network for EVERYONE else, and force VZW, AT&T, and SOON SPRINT to get rid of unliimted data. Downloading 320GB in a ****ing weekend tethering from your phone is crazy. The phones or networks were NEVER designed to do that. On top of that you are using the network "NOTICEABLY" for illegal **** like downloading HD movies all day long. Grant it I'm not indicting you for it, but from VZW's biz perspective which they know about, they don't like users using their network for things like that, including business ventures and other things that require exuberant amounts of data, without paying them for it. That is why AT&T throttles unlimited data users when they get past 5GB because they don't want their networks impacted for anyone else. Consider this to be why your home internet FiOS or XFINITY Bundle advertises that you can get up to 50mbps downloads but during "peak hours" you only get about 15-20mbps. This is because the traffic in the area is at a very high level and just like a highway, the more traffic, the slower the drive. Wireless performance is much more sacred than wired, which is why when you have a 750GB/month bohemith in your area taking up 90% of the data usage on a particular tower, VZW would get mad. Hell, AT&T would call you directly and tell you politely to **** off from their service altogether, ETF fees waived and all. It's like the stupid kids in school that used to ruin recess for everyone when they kept doing stupid **** in the back of the classroom. You know you were doing just fine, but it had to be that dickhead from bum****-ville to ruin it for everyone. VZW takes the most pride in it's network, investing over a billion bucks a year into it, and having it slowed for any reason would cost them their reputation. So don't totally blame VZW for trying to f*ck over everyone else, give some of your cold hard feelings to assholes making it harder on everyone else. Give it about 3 years, and EVERYONE will have tiered data lol. It sucks, but our world in every way is corrupted. O well, onto the next.


    4. VZW is like any other business: They are out to make money. The punk ass crybabies that keep *****ing about how VZW is after your money and want's to rape them and keep threatening to switch... go ahead and switch. Switch to AT&T and find out later on that AT&T has 2 "4th Generation" networks. (how there can be two fourth generation anythings from one company still baffles me, but then again, theirs the iPhone 4 & 4s lol). Then watch every AT&T commercial and see how ATT says they have the largest 4G network around and be LIED to. Then start b*tching about how AT&T has this problem and that problem. Or go to Sprint, and in 2 years get a rude awakening when you find out they are getting rid of unlimited data too. Be in another quarrel about how Sprint sucks and you want to switch. It will never end. Consider facts first before making impulsive decisions, because flat out, LTE is where the real speed is regardless of network. Sprint barely has any LTE coverage, and their WiMax pails in comparison to LTE. T-Mobile has upgraded 3G not 4G, and cricket, U.S. cellular and all the rest of the lower level companies can't be in the same conversation (not calling them bad but just irrelevant in this topic). AT&T and Sprint will be doing the SAME thing VZW is doing now, which is stopping unlimited data because they'll have to. All of the carriers will soon be trying to control your pockets, honestly. VZW was just the first to do it. Data is the wave of the future, and a goldmine for suppliers. Don't expect too much dignity from any of your carriers, including VZW. All of the companies are corrupted, as our world is. The only real way to keep unlimited data on VZW or AT&T is paying full retail for a phone (*cough* eBaycraigslist *cough*) and activating it - which IMO is worth it to me - or upgrade a different line on a family plan and switch the devices around. I still have to say VZW has the best network for the U.S., AT&T is the best internationally, Sprint has the best bang-for-your-buck, and T-Mobile is the cheapest. Make your 2-year contract term decisions based off of that, because the data-bug is going to bite you all over. IMO they all suck lol if I had my way I'd be using WiFi for every call, text, and surf that I make and not pay any of the carriers a DIME !
    Last edited by justin82; 10-02-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    geoff5093 likes this.
  5. dangerismymiddlename.com's Avatar
    Member #
    176947
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9
    Phone
    Samsung SCH-I500 Fascinate VZN
    #85

    Our unlimited plan is shared

    Does he think that we am too stupid to realize that unlimited and shared aren't mutually exclusive, or does he only think that about the investors that he was talking to?
  6. Droid Ninja
    SquireSCA's Avatar
    Member #
    160016
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,197
    Liked
    89 times
    Phone
    Moto RazR HD
    #86
    Their plan was to charge people more for Unlimited at a time when bandwidth and the phones themselves really couldn't take advantage of it. Now that bandwidth, the phones and services have caught up and we are used to having Unlimited, they figure they can start charging more and we will pay.

    It's like when gas prices go up. Originally, it could be in response to OPEC or a gas shortage from a Hurricane, something like that. People freak out when gas hits $4 a gallon, but the bottom line is that we get USED to it, and so when things get back to normal, the prices never really do because we have already shown that we are willing to pay it. They might back it down to $3.75 so that we feel like we are getting a deal, forgetting that we are still paying $1.75 more than we used to.

    For you shooters out there, ammo costs used to be reasonable. 7 years ago you could walk into any Walmart and buy 50 rounds of Winchester 9mm target ammo for $6.97 a box. Today it is $14 for the same box. It was over $20 only 2 years ago. They claimed it was from shortages from military consumption, or the cost of metal going up, etc... But the truth is that once again, they saw that despite costing 3x as much, we would still pay it. So now it is only 2x as much, and we feel better about it, but they are still raping us by charging us double what we were paying only a few years ago.

    I said screw it and went to Sprint. The EVO 4G LTE is an HTC One X essentially, great phone. 3G performance isn't great but LTE towere are popping up all around the area and averaging 10-12mbit down and 5mbit up. Slower than VZW, but how much speed do you need on a phone really?

    I dropped my bill by almost $70 a month, got Unlimited data, unlimited mobile minutes, etc... LTE for Sprint will continue to grow and I think I made the smart move.

    VZW is becoming more and more like Apple, and I didn't like that.
  7. Droid Newbie
    nbargolf's Avatar
    Member #
    147069
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #87
    Quote Originally Posted by sNuFfYStiGLiTZ View Post
    Man....Come December I'm canceling my Verizon contract. I want to the Note 2 and it would be cheaper to pay the early termination fee of probably 300 dollars (My contract ends next September so it should be cheaper to cancel), sell my Galaxy Nexus on eBay to help with the fee, go to Sprint and sign up with an unlimited data contract with the Note 2 for 300 dollars, which is what the phone should cost. With my military discount, the bill should be cheaper than what I pay with Verizon. So either end up paying about 400 dollars to switch and get a new phone or I could just stick with Verizon, pay 800 dollars for the Note 2 and still get reamed....That's a tough choice wouldn't you say?
    My contract is up in December also and we are switching. T Mobile advertises unlimited data BUT if you look at their plans it is up to 5 GB then overages. How can anyone offer unlimited then change for overages???
  8. Droid Newbie
    indythinker's Avatar
    Member #
    263219
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1
    Phone
    Motorola DROID BIONIC
    #88

    VERIZON "was" the best deal at the time - BUT!

    Quote Originally Posted by dgstorm View Post

    [Editor's Note: There are a few of problems with this argument. First, if most consumers are not really using that much data, as he suggests, then there would be no reason for the carriers to switch to tiered data plans. Second, it doesn't matter if a person doesn't regularly use up that much data on a normal basis. The fact they might need to at some point and will have to pay exorbitant fees in order to do so, is simply a way for the carrier to price gouge the customer. In fact, it's possible that the reason some users come in lower than their data allowance is because they are afraid of overage charges. The idea of an unlimited data plan is that it offers the "peace of mind" option for customers. Lastly, Verizon's Shared Data Plans would likely be more palatable if they were a bit more cost effective and less aggressively tilted in the carriers favor. It just makes Verizon look greedy.]

    Of course, that was just my editorial rant above. There are multiple perspectives to this, and we would like to hear yours.

    Source: Verizon
    Looking through the replies to Verizon's views on UNLIMITED, I get the impression that the majority of forum members can't wait to switch to other plans or service providers. One member articulated quite well "The CFO is talking as if the consumer is choosing the plan that fits best for them. He doesn't realize that the consumers have NO choice other then shared data or buy full retail. But of course, he is the CFO. He isn't looking at it from a consumer POV. He thinks dollars and cents. VZ need to be a lil more versatile when it comes to data plan options because right now IMO isn't realistic for individuals."

    That said, I'm very new to the world of wireless internet service as well as smart phones. In fact, my wife and I were forced into the realm of wireless internet service and Verizon via a decision to relocate from a medium size city serviced by every ISP under the sun to a secluded wooded area surrounded by farms bordering the city.

    Until that move, we had what we seriously considered REAL UNLIMITED internet service from first SBC Ameritech (bought out by AT&T), then AT&T, and finally Cincinnati Bell. However, these were all phone line high speed internet.

    Our nightmare with ISPs began when we moved to a rural part of Beavercreek, Ohio that had too few customers to make it profitable for the established ISPs to service. Since we could not get the internet service we were accustomed to, trial and error led us to Verizon.

    The only internet service available in our secluded area was Satellite and Wireless. However that experience only extended our nightmare. We tried two Satellite internet companies, but one failed to get a decent signal, and the other got an unreliable signal. Each did not have UNLIMITED plans. Both had a consumer use policy that if you went over the usage ceiling they did not charge you extra but instead slowed your connection down to dial up speed.

    The first wireless company we tried (a so-called small time independent) also had a usage ceiling and just like the satellite companies would slow down your connection speed to dial up if you exceeded the limit.

    We are a military family, thus we were finally sold on a Verizon Droid Bionic at the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES) wireless concession on Wright-Patterson AFB. The phone was a reasonable price with military discount for both the phone and initial service (which BTW was not UNLIMITED). In fact, our military discount does not apply to any data usage plan beyond the initial limited one of as I remember 4Gs.

    Our experience (for a 2 person family) was that our traditional usage far exceeded Verizon's data ceiling. We gradually increased our usage plan until it is now 22Gs for $100.00 with a over usage penalty of $10.00 for each 1G over the limit. At first we were able to monitor our usage, and at least Verizon goes out of their way to assist customers in monitoring their usage including alerts when getting too close to your limits.

    Our data usage plan is good until November 2014, but we realize that Verizon no longer offers such a high data plan, so in that respect we are fortunate we think??? We are not sure if Verizon will renew that plan at that rate or not.

    Verizon even assists customers in estimating what their data usage would be, and we believe their formula is useful only if we (2 people BTW) only used our wireless data service for checking, sending, and receiving email. However, we download relatively large video and audio files, plus streaming video and audio files, even large game files that eat up our usage limit pretty quick. Right now our 22GB ceiling has been exceeded by 6GBs, so our penalty is $60.00 that will bring our total bill to $160.00 not including the text and wireless phone service charges.

    We try to do a better job monitoring our usage, but we have to almost agree with what GoldLock says in his post "Why VZW REALLY got rid of unlimited data." Who would have better insight into why wireless internet service providers shy away from UNLIMITED data plans than someone who was a VZW representative.

    We believe that until there are alternatives to what Verizon offers that only one point needs to be emphasized by VZW representatives (past and present) and that is NEVER lead a customer to think they are getting an UNLIMITED data usage plan when they are not. This needs to be explained upfront articulated in terms anyone can reasonably understand.

    Goldlock also mentions "I know some of us INCLUDING MYSELF would have loved to keep unlimited data, as even on my employee line (which isn't unlimited) I've used nearly 30GB of data myself one month just to test out how much I could possibly use in a month on a 4G Razr MAXX. I did the test without metering anything, this included downloading, tethering, HD Vid streaming, radio, GPS you name it. I purposely tried to abuse it, and I'm averaging about 10GB regularly now."

    Though not Mitt Romney fans, for we are not in the same socio-economic status, but in the warrior class (a class that once upon a time included the American aristocracy, but today gets nowhere near the respect or political clout of the Japanese Samurai class) we do consider ourselves fortunate enough to be able to afford the data overage payment.

    However, Goldlock mentions that he (one person) using his employers wireless line, as we understand him, used and abused nearly 30GBs doing we believe everything he mentioned above. Last month my wife and I (2 people) beat that by 11GBs for a total over usage of 42GBs. This was of course the highest usage we've had, and it told us that we need to do a better job monitoring our usage (if we want to or not, or think it's fair or not). That said, we do not consider our usage as being abusive as articulated by Goldlock. On average we check, send and receive email (the smallest usage), download programs and games (occasionally), since in our secluded area we cannot get a decent WI FI connection, we have no choice but to tether to our PCs. We do very limited HD Vid streaming, but no radio, GPS, or you name it.

    Being populist from the warrior class (well guess we could be considered middle to working class), in closing let me say that here is one person (Goldlock) doing an experiment on "his employers" wireless internet service who when not abusing the service (as he defines abuse) gets around 10GBs now. We are two people on a 22GB data plan which gives us a shared plan of around 11GB each to do "some of the things" Goldlock considers abusive.

    We don't know about switching to whomever based on our piss poor experience with ISPs (dial up, DSL, cable, satellite, or wireless) we've tried them all, but we do feel for families with children who have to share any of these networks, especially satellite or wireless. If one person can average about 10GBs when he's not abusing his usage, and a 2 person family uses 11GB each (being abusive or not) - can you imagine what a family of 3 or more, especially children as they are growing up can and most likely do use.

    Goldlock did an experiment to see how much data usage he could abuse (his view) using his employers wireless service. A better test would be monitoring his own home wireless service data usage, what his wife uses (if he's married), throw in 1 to 2 to 3 or more children (invite neighbors over if necessary) and then we will have a more realistic picture of internet data usage that YES most likely will never again be UNLIMITED, so the term UNLIMITED should never again be used by any ISP - period.
  9. Droid Ninja
    huskur's Avatar
    Member #
    11527
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lower Delaware
    Posts
    1,885
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    #89
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldLock View Post

    I was a rep for VZW and I can honestly tell you why VZW got rid of unlimited data.

    1. Business decision - Everyone is out to make money, and lots of it. We know this already. But VZW is the most experienced company in the world - flat out - when it comes to communication. They know that everything is going mobile, and data is the next big commodity, so they needed to be prepared [I][B]WELL[I][B] in advance for the future. The way the world will communicate 5-10 years from now will mostly be through the internet. Yes let's all be honest, if you control that, you control everything.

    2. iPhones - Originally, VZW was going to get the iPhone first (*gasp*), but because of disagreements between them and Apple, it didn't happen. When the iPhone finally did come, a HUGE influx of users grasped onto it and began to pile down on the 3G network, making data speeds much slower than they should have been. Thank Apple for VZW's huge advancement in 4G LTE, because it was this situation that forced VZW to protect its reputation and look for other (faster and stronger) means of data transit for future phones (iPhone 5) so this situation wouldn't happen again. In the mean time, unlimited data for phones meant iPhones and data abusers would make VZW's network look like trash, so that helped fuel the decision.

    3. That 5% - Here's some interesting statistics for you:

    - At the time VZW made this decision, only about 8% of VZW customers were on 4G.
    - 95% of VZW customers averaged about 1GB-1.5GB of monthly data usage
    - 90% of users carrier-wide avg'd less than 2GB monthly on unlimited plans
    - 5% of data users on VZW's network could account for well over 60% of the data used monthly by subscribers

    Here's another related statistic. 4% of the U.S. population can account for 90% of the wealth in the United States

    See the correlation?

    Hey Mitt Romney fans, I know some of us INCLUDING MYSELF would have loved to keep unlimited data, as even on my employee line (which isn't unlimited) I've used nearly 30GB of data myself one month just to test out how much I could possibly use in a month on a 4G Razr MAXX. I did the test without metering anything, this included downloading, tethering, HD Vid streaming, radio, GPS you name it. I pruposely tried to abuse it, and I'm averaging about 10GB regularly now. Yes it would be nice if we all still held on to that freedom of unlimited Netflix not over WiFi, and great workout sessions with Pandora everyday. But even for us tech-savvy users, most of us really don't use that much data in comparison to that 5%. It's people like ^BRAINIAC^ here from the quote that slow down the network for EVERYONE else, and force VZW, AT&T, and SOON SPRINT to get rid of unliimted data. Downloading 320GB in a ****ing weekend tethering from your phone is crazy. The phones or networks were NEVER designed to do that. On top of that you are using the network "NOTICEABLY" for illegal **** like downloading HD movies all day long. Grant it I'm not indicting you for it, but from VZW's biz perspective which they know about, they don't like users using their network for things like that, including business ventures and other things that require exuberant amounts of data, without paying them for it. That is why AT&T throttles unlimited data users when they get past 5GB because they don't want their networks impacted for anyone else. Consider this to be why your home internet FiOS or XFINITY Bundle advertises that you can get up to 50mbps downloads but during "peak hours" you only get about 15-20mbps. This is because the traffic in the area is at a very high level and just like a highway, the more traffic, the slower the drive. Wireless performance is much more sacred than wired, which is why when you have a 750GB/month bohemith in your area taking up 90% of the data usage on a particular tower, VZW would get mad. Hell, AT&T would call you directly and tell you politely to **** off from their service altogether, ETF fees waived and all. It's like the stupid kids in school that used to ruin recess for everyone when they kept doing stupid **** in the back of the classroom. You know you were doing just fine, but it had to be that dickhead from bum****-ville to ruin it for everyone. VZW takes the most pride in it's network, investing over a billion bucks a year into it, and having it slowed for any reason would cost them their reputation. So don't totally blame VZW for trying to f*ck over everyone else, give some of your cold hard feelings to assholes making it harder on everyone else. Give it about 3 years, and EVERYONE will have tiered data lol. It sucks, but our world in every way is corrupted. O well, onto the next.


    4. VZW is like any other business: They are out to make money. The punk ass crybabies that keep *****ing about how VZW is after your money and want's to rape them and keep threatening to switch... go ahead and switch. Switch to AT&T and find out later on that AT&T has 2 "4th Generation" networks. (how there can be two fourth generation anythings from one company still baffles me, but then again, theirs the iPhone 4 & 4s lol). Then watch every AT&T commercial and see how ATT says they have the largest 4G network around and be LIED to. Then start b*tching about how AT&T has this problem and that problem. Or go to Sprint, and in 2 years get a rude awakening when you find out they are getting rid of unlimited data too. Be in another quarrel about how Sprint sucks and you want to switch. It will never end. Consider facts first before making impulsive decisions, because flat out, LTE is where the real speed is regardless of network. Sprint barely has any LTE coverage, and their WiMax pails in comparison to LTE. T-Mobile has upgraded 3G not 4G, and cricket, U.S. cellular and all the rest of the lower level companies can't be in the same conversation (not calling them bad but just irrelevant in this topic). AT&T and Sprint will be doing the SAME thing VZW is doing now, which is stopping unlimited data because they'll have to. All of the carriers will soon be trying to control your pockets, honestly. VZW was just the first to do it. Data is the wave of the future, and a goldmine for suppliers. Don't expect too much dignity from any of your carriers, including VZW. All of the companies are corrupted, as our world is. The only real way to keep unlimited data on VZW or AT&T is paying full retail for a phone (*cough* eBaycraigslist *cough*) and activating it - which IMO is worth it to me - or upgrade a different line on a family plan and switch the devices around. I still have to say VZW has the best network for the U.S., AT&T is the best internationally, Sprint has the best bang-for-your-buck, and T-Mobile is the cheapest. Make your 2-year contract term decisions based off of that, because the data-bug is going to bite you all over. IMO they all suck lol if I had my way I'd be using WiFi for every call, text, and surf that I make and not pay any of the carriers a DIME !
    I am on the fence in this write up. VZW is about making the mighty $$ and also you have to realize that they have what---90 million---customers? 90 million X just $50 = $4.5 billion monthly in revenue. So VZW pumping a billion dollars into their network in a year is nothing. (keep in mind that I used $50 per line---what are you paying for each line?) So really, the $4.5 billion is likely much higher. Data hogs or not "unlimited" is what it is and if you pay for tethering with your unlimited you can use it for whatever you want.

    Now as far as I go....... I use 5-10 GB per month and my wife uses around 2. So I will keep my unlimited plan as long as I can. If I am ever forced off of it I will get a call and text only phone and use my Nexus 7 over wifi exclusively. I don't like the fact that VZW is pretty much making people use "other peoples/companies" data for use on their device. They want you to love their 4G but you can only use it for a week or two and then you are looking for friggin wifi everywhere you go. That is total crap. Not to mention that when you are on wifi you are vulnerable to security breeches since they are unsecured. Not only that but 4G is typically faster than wifi. For some reason--which i understand but others don't--- I can't get past having to use my home Comcast wifi for the use on Verizons phone.

    The defense of Verizon is somewhat justified but not totally. Unlimited gives me piece of mind for the most part. I don't abuse the system. I use it the way it is intended. Right now I pay $175 monthly for 2 4G unlimited data lines and one basic line. If I was forced to tiered I would be around $250 and that is to much for 3 cell phones. No thanks VZW.

    The OP said "he would rather use wifi for everything". That's weird, just get a tablet. Most everywhere has wifi (though unsecured). The only time you need "mobile" data is-----------well, of course-----when you are mobile. My definition is different than most... I pay for unlimited mobile data and use it that way. Screw wifi and looking for it everywhere you go....thats a pain in the a$$.
  10. Senior Droid
    marleyinoc's Avatar
    Member #
    62406
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    174
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Bionic Safestrap/Th3ory/CM7a
    #90
    How does one go from "a small percentage of people are abusing the system" to "Verizon is justified for limiting everyone to an absurdly low data cap for about the same money?"

    While there were a lot of other words piled in there, that seems the gist of it. Does not compute.

    -Bionic 6.7.247 via HoB
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. "No sim", "No service", "failed" notification for sent text messages
    By SLL in forum Galaxy S3 General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 07:05 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM
  5. Viewing "canned responses" or "email templates" in gmail on the Droid 2
    By backcountrywarehouse in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 05:39 PM

Search tags for this page

facetime for android
,
galaxy note 2 unlimited data verizon hack
,

how to get unlimited data on verizon hack

,
note 2 verizon
,
unlimited data verizon hack
,
verizon ceo unlimited
,

verizon ceo unlimited data just number

,
verizon sox cfo
,

verizon unlimited data hack

,

verizon unlimited data illegal tethering terminate

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+