DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Verizon's CFO Says that "unlimited" is "just a word" and "doesn't mean anything."

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    ONJFANGA
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXX
    I'm beginning to think that to VZW: "customer" is "just a word" it "doesn't mean anything."
    jroc, xeene and Fassedd like this.
    - StormyHeather

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DX2
    This is why I'm using LTE like it's the only thing there is right now. I pay a car payment a month for phone service and they want me to upgrade, pay more, and possibly pay more again for overages.

In January when our contact is up I'm selling our Verizon phones, buying unlocked ones, and going to straight talk for $45 per line and saving $125 a month in the process.

From an Eclipsed GNEX
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by James9109 View Post
    But not everybody wants terrible service, for me at least where I live the only phone companys that get good service without being a hassle is verizon and a central illinois company called IVC.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff View Post
    Most people get service from any carrier anywhere, so thats not the real issue.
    Problem is that's not true. There are many places where I'm at even in Michigan that has dead spots for carriers and Verizon still works.

Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    there is really only one reason to stick with verizon, and its a pretty big one to a lot of people... 4G LTE...sure att has it some, and sprint is working on it but verizon has more 4g lte than all the rest combined by a long shot...sure get unlimited data with sprint but on 3g its practically pointless

another reason though is verizon generally has the best and biggest overall coverage, att is pretty good as well and sprint is still working on expanding coverage areas
    Its unfortunate but its true and they know it. Which is why the pull the stuff they pull. They know people will not leave for inferior service no matter what they do.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    SCH-I535
    While upgrading/preodering the s3, I had 3 different vzw reps trying to talk me into a shared plan with my wife by using the above argument that we don't use that much data. I knew that my data usage would increase on 4G just for the fact that you can do more in the same time compared to 3G. I was exactly right. I haven't used less than 5gb/month since my upgrade compared to 2-3 gb previously. I just wonder how many people they convinced to switch to a tiered plan that are now getting screwed for overage charges or can't even use there phone for fear of going over.
    Fassedd likes this.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    It doesn't take a high school diploma to figure out:

(1) Verizon analyzed voice/text/data usage for a few years

(2) In particular, they computed average data consumption, which I'm guessing is under a GB per device per month (hence the comment that "'unlimited' doesn't exist or mean anything because the vast majority of users consume so little data)

Assuming that low-bandwidth voice/text are almost free for the carrier, data is the expensive commodity:

(3) Verizon then modeled what happens to their income stream by moving everybody over to "unlimited voice/text", while placing heavy caps on data.

The result of the model is:

(1) The average user gets a specified data amount that, on average, they shouldn't exceed

(2) Occasional data overages create additional revenue

(3) They offer "unlimited" voice/text, which cost Verizon almost nothing but have great perceived value to the "average" user

(4) They offer "shared" pools of minutes/texts, which depending on the number of "families" (I'm assuming > 50% of the customer base) is also a high-value option

(5) Relatively expensive data consumption is bottlenecked, and hi-density data consumers are chased off the network

I think that was how it worked. Not a personal decision, not an emotional decision, not a social-progressive decision. Just a business decision.

-Matt
    Last edited by gadgetrants; 09-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Fassedd likes this.
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    on second thought, the cfo had a point, unlimited data doesnt mean anything...ON 3G...when you can only get about 2.5 mbps then yeah 2 or 4 gb a month is pretty reasonable, when you 10-20+ mbps then 2 or 4 gb seems like nothing...
    they should have waited for the shared data plans until they had more data collected on how much data people with 4g use (it takes time for people to realize what they can do with those crazy high data speeds)
    My cMetal 11.0 rom for the verizon galaxy nexus

Phone- The GALAXY NEXUS LTE a​ll the
    Rom- My own cMetal 11.0 rom (linaro enhanced cm-11.0)
    Kernel- ASKP or my modified mpokang v10 superram kernel
    previous phone the trusty ol' droid 1
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid3
    Quote Originally Posted by metalspring View Post
    on second thought, the cfo had a point, unlimited data doesnt mean anything...ON 3G...when you can only get about 2.5 mbps then yeah 2 or 4 gb a month is pretty reasonable, when you 10-20+ mbps then 2 or 4 gb seems like nothing...
    they should have waited for the shared data plans until they had more data collected on how much data people with 4g use (it takes time for people to realize what they can do with those crazy high data speeds)
    Excellent point.
    Meaning of gadgetrants:
    (1) Goes on rants about gadgets
    (2) Gadgets put him in a trants (er...um, trance)
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DX2
    Quote Originally Posted by danDroid View Post
    haha, gotta love this marketing from Verizon!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetrants View Post
    Excellent point.
    Amen, the last two weekends I've been away from home and used the nfl mobile app to watch red zone. On 4G, about 5 hours of use between the two weekends and it put me well over 12 GB, and I usually use 4-5 tops. They can't keep pushing streaming of video and music and all the things you can do and expect people to pay ridiculous overages to use these services long term. People are going to go without.

From an Eclipsed GNEX
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    162 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3 R-U/Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff View Post
    Most people get service from any carrier anywhere, so thats not the real issue.
    REALLY
    jroc likes this.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Really 'unlimited' means nothing eh' ok well this pin head cfo better be sure that another carrier doesn't catch up enough in coverage for me along with a better deal because I will inform Verizon what exactly the word 'cancel' means!

As a side note where do they find these guys? lol must be Obama fans... can't add and they speak out both sides of the mouth.
    Last edited by captdroid; 09-21-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    syndicate0017 likes this.
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links