DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Verizon's CFO Says that "unlimited" is "just a word" and "doesn't mean anything."

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Phone
    D1<Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by huskur View Post
    The only time you need "mobile" data is-----------well, of course-----when you are mobile.
    And I disagree with that stance Verizon has taken. These used to be mobile phones. They've now replaced landlines for the most part. With the way usage and the networks are evolving, its not just mobile data anymore. Especially, like previously mentioned, 4G is faster than a lot of home based internet providers.

Listen, I get Verizon has to make a buck and I get that when they introduced unlimited, this kind of data usage was never conceived. Verizon should focus on expanding the network to the point that they can realistically support that kind of usage. Charge a price competitive with my cell + home internet bill and call it a day. One bill for me, multiple services through you. Win win.

I truly hope this is the way "mobile" providers go in the future.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Don't be scared, adb is your friend.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffStuff View Post
    People need to start moving away from Verizon.. or this crap will just continue. Thank god my contract is up in a few months.
    Yep, we're doing the same. Actually we just took 2 of our 4 off our plan & now have Sprint. These phones belong
    to two 21 year olds and we weren't going to take a chance they go over a 'shared' plan of 4GB...especially since the primary on the account is on "unlimited" and uses over 9GB every month (lots of streaming)...me? I use less than 1/2 GB!
    We were also informed that if the primary upgrades his phone, he will NOT be keeping the unlimited data plan. He won't be grandfathered in. He'll be going to Sprint come March '13 and I'll be leaving as soon as my contract is up; unfortunately that isn't until January '14.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by StormyHeather View Post
    I'm beginning to think that to VZW: "customer" is "just a word" it "doesn't mean anything."
    AMEN to that!
    StormyHeather likes this.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Well, I saw on the TV the other night that ATT is now going the way of VZW with the share everything plan. NOT good for the consumer. Corporate greed is absolutely ruining this country along with too much government control, restrictions, regulations, taxes etc. and don't even get me started on how the eco-nazi's have the governmental bureaocats believing we have to save every purple spotted cricket so a particular piece of land is sacred for them! The American people have been complacent for so long that big money knows they can pretty much get away with anything and we'll all adapt. That is so sad and so much BS.

I am grandfathered in to the unlimited data although I probably use less than 1GB a month. I don't use my Droid4 the way many people do. Like so many of the other responders on this forum I live in a VERY rural area and VZW is the ONLY reliable cell phone provider. I'm in the middle of the forest in a 160 acre community with the closest town almost 18 miles away. We are fortunate though that we were finally able to get off the God awful (and expensive) satellite internet and get unlimited wireless broadband for half the price. When I got my first smartphone my data plan was $15 a month for I forget how much data but I never went over since I used wifi for everything I did here at home, at the neighbors and my kids place down in Phoenix. When I found out the unlimited was going away I upgraded to the $30 unlimited plan and now I rarely use wifi. Why should I? I can only hope that Sprint will continue to offer their unlimited everything and that their coverage area will improve and expand to include more area. I've been with VZW for almost 11 years but feel no loyalty to them because I feel no loyalty from them. We pay just over $150 a month for 3 lines with only one of them being a smartphone with unlimited data. The other 2 phones ONLY talk not even text. We switched our landline to VZW and saved a lot of money versus Century Link when it's add a line for $9.99 or $12.32 with taxes.

Speaking of landlines, where do the companies (all the Bells) that provide landlines fit into the future scenario? You know they're losing customers. Why pay $25.99 plus tax for a phone line when you can switch to cell for less than half the cost? It will be very interesting to see how this all shakes out in the future. I can remember when I got my first "mobile" phone in the mid-80's which was hard wired in my car. It was $20 a month for 30 minutes and then hellacious overage charges after that. My first hand-held cell phone was $50 was 60 minutes. So technically I'm paying less money per voice minute now than I did back then. Of course there was no data back then, not even texting. Future technological advances will play a key role in where mobile usage fees go in the future. Should be interesting. Unfortunately I don't see any of the carriers doing anything fiscally great for the consumer. For them it's all about the almighty dollar. They have what people want and they know people are willing to pay for it. Why lower prices. People are conditioned to paying these high prices and will continue to do so to have what they want.
    geoff5093 likes this.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2

If unlimited is meaningless, does that imply that limited is also meaningless.

So what he is saying that unlimited should be kind of like this joke: a man goes to a restaurant, and sees a sign reading 'Apple Pie, all you can eat for a dollar'. The man sits down and orders some of the pie. After taking two bites out of the pie, the waitress snaps up the plate. The man says 'hey wait a minute!' The waitress replies 'That's all you can eat... for a dollar'. I like Verizon's coverage. I don't think they can be beat, there. I would be happier if they just offered a 'rollover data' where if you didn't use all of your allowance last month, you can save it till next month.

David Scott
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldLock View Post
    IMO they all suck lol if I had my way I'd be using WiFi for every call, text, and surf that I make and not pay any of the carriers a DIME !
    I agree with everything you said. However, the problem is that the cable providers are also well aware that data usage is skyrocketing as well. It most likely won't be long before they start implementing data caps. I hear that Comcast and Time Warner are already looking into it.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbcivic View Post
    I went to verizon yesterday. i have 2 smartphones on unlimited data i wanted to turn on my kids used iphone and add data then add a line for my other kid and add data plan. they tried their best to analyze what i use and justify getting a shared plan. it worked out to the same money but i would loose unlimited on my 2 phones......hmmmmmm No i said! she said but it wouldnt matter you dont use enough looking at the past 3 mo. to even worry about unlimited. i said but yeah i may need it because if i take a trip and play slacker radio for 10hrs while driving i will run over then what???? she had no answer.
    The last time I was in a Verizon store, the rep asked me if I was interested in switching to shared everything. I told her that I had 5 smartphone lines, all with unlimited data, and what she thought I would say. She gave me a knowing look, and turned and walked away.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II

Re: Verizon's CFO Says that "unlimited" is "just a word" and "doesn't mean anything."

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    I agree with everything you said. However, the problem is that the cable providers are also well aware that data usage is skyrocketing as well. It most likely won't be long before they start implementing data caps. I hear that Comcast and Time Warner are already looking into it.
    Comcast actually has a data cap already, it's something like 200gb a month. Read the fine print. And satellite internet providers have always had their fair access/use policy.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    Comcast actually has a data cap already, it's something like 200gb a month. Read the fine print. And satellite internet providers have always had their fair access/use policy.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
    Comcast is 250GB
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Twitter
    geoff5093
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by huskur View Post
    Comcast is 250GB
    The past few months Comcast has temporarily lifted the data cap, not sure why. I've gone over my cap a few times, so it's not as strict as mobile carriers are, however I'm sure if you hit 500GB in a month they are going to give you a warning.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Links