DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Samsung Plans to Sue Apple Over iPhone 5 LTE Patent Violations Right Out of the Gate

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Despite all of Tim Cook's smug there's no way he isn't worried about this to some extent. I think Samsung and HTC requiring Apple to pay around $15 per device would be about fair.

Apple just had to keep playing these ignorant games instead of innovating. There is almost zero chance that anything Apple reveals tomorrow will be ahead of the curve and with many major manufacturers yet to release their final devices of the year Apple will still be playing catch-up with whatever they drop next year. One great point I've seen made lately is that because Apple has dumbed their OS down so much they are unable to release too many new features at once for fear of alienating their customers whom they've brainwashed into thinking themselves incapable of handling too much in the way of options. As 4G will have to be one of their major selling points odds are low that they can afford to diddle around with this, especially as this situation will very likely lead to a functional injunction that will more than hurt holiday sales. Learn your lesson before it's too late Apple or you'll end up back on the scrap heap as an "also ran" of the early 21st century.
    Narsil and jayman350 like this.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    pretty sure if the case will be handled in united states apple will win unanimously. samsung needs to learn their lesson and move on, as much as i dislike apple.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionImprobable View Post
    Despite all of Tim Cook's smug there's no way he isn't worried about this to some extent. I think Samsung and HTC requiring Apple to pay around $15 per device would be about fair.

Apple just had to keep playing these ignorant games instead of innovating. There is almost zero chance that anything Apple reveals tomorrow will be ahead of the curve and with many major manufacturers yet to release their final devices of the year Apple will still be playing catch-up with whatever they drop next year. One great point I've seen made lately is that because Apple has dumbed their OS down so much they are unable to release too many new features at once for fear of alienating their customers whom they've brainwashed into thinking themselves incapable of handling too much in the way of options. As 4G will have to be one of their major selling points odds are low that they can afford to diddle around with this, especially as this situation will very likely lead to a functional injunction that will more than hurt holiday sales. Learn your lesson before it's too late Apple or you'll end up back on the scrap heap as an "also ran" of the early 21st century.

With Android doing 3D and dual screen phones, phones with a lil ticker screen....from a year ago...its gonna be real hard for Apple to out innovate Android on the hardware side. Software....I doubt it again. Apple going to LTE .....thats old news for Android phones. I seriously think Android has past Apple on the innovation side of things. Its time for Apple to just focus on being another choice for a phone and stop trying to be the only choice. Or stop trying to force everyone to pick them as the only choice.

And I think some ppl might not realize that a FRAND patent doesnt mean its free to use. FRAND just means one cant try to get outrageous license fees. This is what happened with the Apple vs Moto FRAND patent case. Apple wasnt paying ....anything.... . The same type of thing could happen with HTC/Samsung vs Apple. We will see how it all unfolds when the iPhone 5, new iPhone releases.
    Last edited by jroc; 09-11-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    And I think some ppl might not realize that a FRAND patent doesnt mean its free to use. FRAND just means one cant try to get outrageous license fees. This is what happened with the Apple vs Moto FRAND patent case. Apple wasnt paying ....anything.... . The same type of thing could happen with HTC/Samsung vs Apple. We will see how it all unfolds when the iPhone 5, new iPhone releases.
    According to the various articles, the patents in question aren't FRAND patents. Besides, I thought FRAND meant that the patent owner had to allow other companies to license them, and had to charge the same they charge other companies. For example, assume Samsung has a FRAND patent that Apple wants to license. Samsung cannot refuse to allow Apple to license it, and Samsung also cannot charge Apple more for the patent that they are charging Motorola, or Nokia, or any other company.
    Last edited by jseah; 09-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    jroc likes this.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    @bacK_N_87
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by akhenax
    Easier said than done.

LTE (telecommunication) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Sammy should lick their wounds and move on.
    Agreed.
    RazrBlade
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    As pointed out by others LTE is not an industry standard and so doesn't fall under FRAND rules. There is no industry standard "4g" as of yet, its all marketing at this point with three different systems in place.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    I would love to see them get the iphone 5 taken off the shelves... lol
    That would rule
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Black05Hemi View Post
    That would rule
    +1 down with Apple! Just another chinese knockoff anyway. Who are people kidding that Apple is some kind of great American Company. BS! Down with Apple. Long live Samsung!!!
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    You know.. its not a hatred of apple that compels me to want them wiped off the board...

Its what they stand for now... IMHO, it seems like they're doing everything dirty and underhanded to keep the competition from over running them.. and then they release this excuse for an iphone... wtf!?!?!?

The us patent system is broken and is working in their (iOS) favor... that's wrong.

My big thing is this... I hate bullies.. its stupid to try to conduct business or life that way... I'm waiting for someone to make them look at how they are conducting themselves.. and wake them up.

All they're doing is killing creativity... that's slowing down progress... how do we know what they could be preventing??

they don't, we don't... but one thing is for sure... spending billions on legal costs and defense, takes billions from r&d..

I think we should just put the CEO's through boot camp and then stick em out on an island... lets see how much of a fight they really want to put up.. IMHO

Off my soapbox..
    BaSHa and jackiescivic like this.
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Phone
    Samsung Note II
    CNET had posted a comment someone made over Twitter, that Mark Cuban had retweeted, and it is very appropriate. The comment basically said that Apple has become the product that they were against in the iconic 1984 ad.

Years ago, when the Apple computer held a minuscule single-digit market share against the "establishment" that was Microsoft and the PC, Apple was the darling of the counter-culturalists. Now Apple has become "the man".
    Last edited by jseah; 09-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links