DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnomaz

Thread: Amazon Reconsiders Kindle Fire HD Ad Opt-Out

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid Razr
    Premium Member

Amazon Reconsiders Kindle Fire HD Ad Opt-Out

Excitement over the announcement of Amazon's new line of Kindle Fire HD tablets was overshadowed by concern due to the companies decision to include "Special Offer" ads on the lock screen's of their new tablet's. Originally an Amazon representative had confirmed that customers would be able to opt out of the ads, but later that day Amazon PR announced that there would not be an opt out for any of the new devices. After a storm of complaints, the online retailer has backed down and announced earlier today that there would be an opt out option available after all, for a fee of $15. In a statement given to Techcrunch, an Amazon rep stated: "We know from our Kindle reader line that customers love our special offers and very few people choose to opt out. We’re happy to offer customers the choice". You can pick up Amazon's new 7" Kindle Fire HD this Friday (9/14) and the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD in November (10/20).

Source: BGR

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    WHOA!! that would make me very angry if I was going to buy one. Dont force advertisements down your customers throats! They bought the device... not advertisements........ Just another reason why I Root my Droids so that I can take control of my own stuff!!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    I'll happily let them put ads on the tablet if they give me one for free. Hell, I would even check some of them out too. But if I pay for a device, there is no reason I should have to look at an ad on it.
    combatmedic870 likes this.
    -------------------------------
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    $15 fee. What heck is that. Give people the choice? yeah the choice to pay to not have ad's on a device we already paid for. If so few people opt out why charge them to do so?
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    The almighty Buck.... Smdh.
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    This isn't any different from the old(er) kindles. You could buy the kindle 3G reader version with ads on the lockscreen for one price, or pay an additional amount to get an add-free model. Sure, most people don't opt out, imho not because they read or care about the offers, but consider having ads on the lockscreen worth the $30 bucks or so you saved (I did). It's not like angry birds where ads pop up and get in the way while you are reading, they are just on the lockscreen. But at least with the old kindle you made the choice when you bought it.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Phone
    HTC One M8
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
    This isn't any different from the old(er) kindles. You could buy the kindle 3G reader version with ads on the lockscreen for one price, or pay an additional amount to get an add-free model. Sure, most people don't opt out, imho not because they read or care about the offers, but consider having ads on the lockscreen worth the $30 bucks or so you saved (I did). It's not like angry birds where ads pop up and get in the way while you are reading, they are just on the lockscreen. But at least with the old kindle you made the choice when you bought it.
    My wife has a Kindle without ads on it and paid $200 for it. You can now get one for $99 that is basically the same thing but with ads. The ads helped lower the cost. But there is no show of a cost reduction for this new Fire HD. I can get a Nexus 7 for the same price so the price point isn't better, it just has ads.
    • • • HTC One M8 • • •

Links